British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Old Crusader

Kent V Cradley 14/7

Some farcical stuff tonight Did the ref have any idea we are on a tight curfew seemed to think we had all day and took an age to put the two minutes on nearly every race,,sure there were some stoppages, but there is no doubt the meeting could have been completed had the ref been more urgent ,,,and that decision excluding Garrad after Danny Ayers had wiped him out,,,he needs glasses as well... Still if you had told me before the meeting we would hold this power house out fit to 4 points,,well id take that ..I am so pi__ed off with this shambles of a meeting i wont discuss it further ,I dont like seeing the public short changed like this ,,,could have lost a few more tonight...... Meeting abandoned after heat 14 due to curfew ,,,,Kent 37 Cradley 41

Edited by waco
  • Like 2

The match threw up some interesting talking points. I think that's my first 0-0 in several decades of spectating. Not sure David Mason could have bettered the 9 points we got from R/R. Danny Phillips inability to sit still at the tapes. Starke getting within spitting distance of the track record. The early appearance of the blue groove on bend 1. Was Benji under power when the ref stopped heat 9? Garrad being excluded after being wiped out by Ayres. Baseby laying it down (not falling off) to avoid Morley. And did Garrad really pip Phillips at the post?

Cradley exposed those weaknesses at numbers 1, 6 and 7 again. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect our number 1 to deliver a double figure return, even against opposition of this calibre. Also, it should be possible for the reserves to contribute 6 points between them. Performances like that would have swung the match our way. Thank heaven we had Lambo, Benji and, to a lesser extent Baseby, to keep the score respectable.

• Like 1

Re the time span of the meeting might I suggest that with both sides operating rider replacement, riders having two rides on the trot between heats 1&2, 3&4, 5&6 (two riders doing so on this occasion), 7&8, 8&9 and 11&12 leading to extra time being allowed for the riders involved as is the norm; six heats requiring re-runs (heats 2 & 8 both requiring two re-starts); And lengthy necessary on-track medical attention being given to Nathan Greaves following his high-speed crash in 9 were all contributing factors towards heat 15 and the Bronze Helmet match race both falling victim to the strict 8.30pm curfew. "Oh what a night" as the the opening line of a big hit of yesteryear goes!

Edited by Bryn
  • Like 1

Sorry Bryn, there can be no excuses for Mr Posselwhite and whoever in the pits is responsible for informing the referees box for changes. So frustrating that the watering of the track took place when there WEREN'T riders in two successive heats! The relaxed stroll at which the early part of the meeting progressed was shameful. To deny the paying public a last heat decider through inertia early in the meeting was dreadful. I'm afraid I put 80% of the blame on the referee who seemed oblivious to any curfew, 10% on the riders who gardened at the start like they were a world champion, and 10% on the promotion for not ensuring R/R changes were notified more quickly. Surely before the meeting the ref should have said to all that with a curfew and double R/R, all needed to be on-the-ball tonight..

I heard your 'hint' over the mike after a couple of heats re the curfew...clearly fell on deaf ears. In future please can you reach over and hit the flaming 2 minute button...get it on before R/R is announced instead of the painful delays in waiting..

Left a bad taste in the mouth and totally avoidable IMV.

Edited by Mike.Butler
  • Like 2

At the end of the day we only lost to Cradley by 4 points. Plenty of referee gaffs last night and what might have been if we had ran heat 15.

Baseby continues to impress me and his win over Starke will be one of my season highlights. Good return from Mason r/r but I will not entertain that he needs replacing (even if Hopwood is on offer). Compton finished the meeting looking not too far away from before he got injured. Super stuff from Lambert again - he gives everything and we love it! Can't wait for him to retain the Laurels - Boxall who?! Danny went back to trying too hard this week. He always wants to get the job done on the first lap. He has been smashing away from home recently and certainly one of my favourites. As for Garrad, i thought he did very well and i see some potential in him. His gating is strong and he does look the part so fingers crossed he continues to become more confident.

WE GOT AARON BASEBY la la la la!

• Like 2

Happy cause you lost. Don't understand that, who ever the opposition seems a strange thing to say. Hopwood was a great guest but at full strength think would of been a bigger win even thou we threw lots of points away last night.

If heat 15 would of been rode, didn't fancy your chances of getting a 5-1. We had an off night and still won. Happy days.

I'm afraid I've lost interest at Kent, like many others. A new club, waining interest, bad presentation and a promotion who will hopefully be replaced next year!

I don't go every week dave but on last night's meeting. It was terrible presentation and pretty poor track. Couldn't watch that every week.

I don't go every week dave but on last night's meeting. It was terrible presentation and pretty poor track. Couldn't watch that every week.

Before I go on to make my point here, can I just say that I don't have any ill feelings towards Cradley or there fans. I've heard that they've got a reputation for being arrogant and disrespectful, but I haven't really witnessed that myself. I take my hat off to their team builders who have managed to assemble a fabulous team while managing to keep to the original points limit. They are a class act. However, it strikes me as rich that Kent is being criticised for it's track and promotion, by supporters of a team which does not even have it's own track. Don't forget Heathen1984 that your team currently ride their home meetings at Monmore Green, an Elite League track which has hosted Wolverhampton speedway meetings pretty much without interruption, since 1961 (and it's history goes back a further 30 plus years). This is only our 2nd season; we know we still have some teething problems, but Monmore wasn't built in a day. Let's see how Cradley Heathens cope in your second year, after you hopefully find a home of your own.

• Like 2

I'm afraid I've lost interest at Kent, like many others. A new club, waining interest, bad presentation and a promotion who will hopefully be replaced next year!

I totally agree and I know others who feel the same.

Club needs a big uplift or I cannot see it having a rosy future.

I totally agree and I know others who feel the same.

Club needs a big uplift or I cannot see it having a rosy future.

"Club needs a big uplift..." you say - so what would you suggest?

"Club needs a big uplift..." you say - so what would you suggest?

1) Got to get rid of the Rye House connection so Kings have an identity.

2) Start time and curfew is a problem.

3) Do not like National League - would hope for better racing and higher class riders.

4) Track still has problems that need to be addressing.

5) Has tannoy system improved recently - as when I went with the wife a while back we could not UNDERSTAND a word you said Bryn??

6) Stadium is great but needs a good spruce up at both ends.

7) Interest has dropped since last season - why ?

8) Website needs to give more updated information on riders etc.

Look whats happened at Birmingham when interest/crowds dropped and happening at Eastbourne.

p.s.

Good people left at end of last season,who had a different vision for Club than you know who.

Edited by AJ is King
  • Like 1

Happy cause you lost. Don't understand that, who ever the opposition seems a strange thing to say. Hopwood was a great guest but at full strength think would of been a bigger win even thou we threw lots of points away last night.

If heat 15 would of been rode, didn't fancy your chances of getting a 5-1. We had an off night and still won. Happy days.

I'd rather lose by a few points and it be competitive rather than expect to win by a big margin every week. We all expected it to be a thrashing, and whatever you say, nobody knows what might have happened in heat 15; we might even have got a draw. I saw plenty of 'speedway firsts' on Monday night, so a 5-1 to us in heat 15 would not have been the biggest surprise of the night in my book (Baseby beating Starke wins that one).

I'm certainly not the sort of guy who is happy because i lost. If anything I am way too optimistic. Growing up watching Canterbury couldn't stump that growth!

• Like 1