British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Phil The Ace

Belle Vue V Wolves 16-07-14

In reality tai probably shouldn't have ridden three leagues this season given the additional burden of being world champ and associated commitments.

With poland being the league with greatest earnings, and the swedish being the strongest league, Britain would have been the obvious one to drop. However, id suggest a sense of loyalty to both wolves and british speedway kept him here. Think people should accept that he may need to miss the odd meeting, and im not surprised he is exhsusted.

I recalla comment from mike lee in 81 about how mauger used to be allowed by his club to miss thecodd meeting to prepare for big meetings, wheras kings lynn allowed him, as reigning british world champ no such leeway. If allowing tai some special dispensation keeps him racing in the el I think its worth it.

Long term, to keep top riders in the el I still think an 8-10 team top league with set racenights and sidesracing esch side just home and away (plus a meaningful ko comp) is the way to go. El sides to have priority over pl riders for all matches, but the pl likely to be strebgthened by a number of good riders (I.e. el hl not riding on thr continent) available on all bar two nights of the week.

Michael Lee didn't need anyone's permission to miss meetings. He just didn't bother showing up

What a load of crap this tai is too tired malarky is.

Didnt stop pedersen crump rickardsson loram etc winning world titles

Hes probably off to ibiza for a few weeks. Disgraceful and should be banned for rest of season.

The comment was about last season as `punching above our weight` or words to that effect.

Without injuries we were possibly the best team so hardly a relevant comment.

This season is a huge disappointment.

The best team is the team that won the title in the end. In the play offs, Wolves were the weakest if the 4 teams and definitely the team to pick - as it proved.

You look at your team the season before last and this season and they are on a par results wise. In between, the bulk of the same riders had a great run of form so yes - they did punch above their weight because those same riders are not scoring as well as they did last year.

Hes probably off to ibiza for a few weeks. Disgraceful and should be banned for rest of season.

my you do struggle to add any intelligence to a debate
  • Like 1

my you do struggle to add any intelligence to a debate

Haha how rich!

Its got cant be arsed written all over it, espiecially if he hasnt got any swedish or polish meetings scheduled during his time off!!

Michael Lee didn't need anyone's permission to miss meetings. He just didn't bother showing up

A wee bit of sarcasm i believe, but how many meetings did he turn up for quite a few in my memory.Michael did not show for a few meetings,my biggest disappointment was going to Sheffield for the second leg of the golden helmet against Shawn Moran he didnt turn up.In a few instances Michael did have valid reasons,it is not an excuse though.

For people who followed Michaels career(GWR would be great to know his opinion as his knowledge of Lee is as good as anyone) we know this comment is a bit of a myth.We always remember the few non appearances but forget what Michael put into speedway an awful lot in my opinion.

Sidney let me just say, for me he was the best thing to ever throw a leg over a Speedway machine. Just feel I missed out on so much more. Greedy

Tai has had a busy period of late not only with meetings but also lots of media work with interviews, filming and guest appearances for sponsors and making himself available for the fans before Cardiff.

One advantage Tai has over many other riders is that he really doesn't get nervous and can keep a cool head at most times but all the hype and pressure of Cardiff and the amazing response he got at Cardiff did get to him a bit and loved every minute of it but overall it left him drained and with travelling the next few days it took effect.

He had blood tests done to check if it was anything medical and got the results on Tuesday night saying that he needs to rest for a few weeks and build up his strength. Fitness is not a problem with Tai as he has a great fitness regime but being on the move all the time he has had little sleep and not eaten the food he usually has and eaten foods that he doesn't usually have in his diet.

He will now take a break until the World Team Cup and miss ALL meetings leading up to that and will be staying at home but will be around to help his team mates and friends in meetings he will miss during that time and if anyone that knows Tai will know that he doesn't like missing any rides let alone meetings.

With Tai currently carrying a low average, Wolves will have a limited number of capable guests but in riders like Chris Harris, Scott Nicholls and possibly even Shamek Pawlicki, Wolves can still field a competative team. ..... Would be nice if we could have signed Peter Karlsson on a short term facility as our match on Monday is against Lakeside.

As for the result at Kirky Lane, its no suprise that the Aces took all three points as Wolves rely heavily on the top two scoring big on away tracks, something that hasn't happened much this season. We have decent second strings but in meetings like these you really need a decent third heat leader. Pawlicki has been brilliant for Wolves and although he only managed 8 points, you can bet he battled for every point and soon will be the highest averaging rider in the Wolves team on a near 8 average.

With Wolves having ridden 11 home meetings and just 5 left at Monmore, they are 3 points behind fourth placed Eastbourne but they have ridden just 10 home and dont drop many points around Arlington while Coventry in fifth have ridden just 7 home leaving 9 still to run and if Wolves were to challenge for the play offs they would need to win 3 or 4 of their five away fixtures and with visits to Eastbourne, Poole and Coventry its going to be unlikely.

Belle Vue on the other hand are looking good really as they have TEN home meetings still to race and if they can get 25+ points in those meetings they should be up there come September but would seriously consider changing the riding order to Zagar, Toft, Cook, Worrall and Nicholls.

Have you ever heard of "low Vitamin B12", Tia has had blood test and told to rest by Drs, End off.

Is it correct that Tai has no further matches in Sweden or Poland before the SWC? If so, the argument that he rode one last meeting for each of his clubs is not persuasive.

A very entertaining match last night. Pawlick apart, a very poor Wolves side but they made the gate often enough to give the Aces the opportunity to chase and often pass them. Pawlicki deserved more points than he got and really is going to be a top rider.

For the Aces, excellent performances all round with particular mentions for Zagar for some brilliant passes and for Lee Payne for his first EL win.

Edited by Aces51

If Speedway stretches riders too far then it is certain something has to give. Tai's Business is as a speedway rider, so he will look after the peiople that look after him. IF his big earnings come from GP's Poland and Sweden then thats where the efforts are going to go. GPs are at most once a fortnight, Poland is once a week, the same with Sweden. The Elite League is different. So if the boy is going to give any League a swerve, then there are no prizes for guessing what it will be.

Sidney let me just say, for me he was the best thing to ever throw a leg over a Speedway machine. Just feel I missed out on so much more. Greedy

Yes totally agree, i probably didn't see him ride half the amount of times as you did but i did see quite alot of his career.The same really i feel cheated,but Mike cheated himself in the end but what a talent gave me some of my greatest speedway memories. Anyway fingers crossed for Robert L eh "Semion,i see him at Swindon the other week and i feel in my creeky bones that he will be a star. Edited by sidney

A wee bit of sarcasm i believe, but how many meetings did he turn up for quite a few in my memory.Michael did not show for a few meetings,my biggest disappointment was going to Sheffield for the second leg of the golden helmet against Shawn Moran he didnt turn up.In a few instances Michael did have valid reasons,it is not an excuse though.

For people who followed Michaels career(GWR would be great to know his opinion as his knowledge of Lee is as good as anyone) we know this comment is a bit of a myth.We always remember the few non appearances but forget what Michael put into speedway an awful lot in my opinion.

I don't recall Lee doing that at Sheffield (not saying he didn't, just don't remember it) but I do recall him ducking a challenge against Gordon Kennet at Eastbourne, this after having already beat Kennett in the Kings Lynn leg. He was subsequently stripped of the Golden Helmet and Kennett became the new holder by default.

I don't recall Lee doing that at Sheffield (not saying he didn't, just don't remember it) but I do recall him ducking a challenge against Gordon Kennet at Eastbourne, this after having already beat Kennett in the Kings Lynn leg. He was subsequently stripped of the Golden Helmet and Kennett became the new holder by default.

Yes "Oldace" he was stripped of the helmet on two separate occasions.He beat Kennett 2.0 in 1981 at Lynn, but failed to turn up at Eastbourne he lost the title then.In 1984 he beat Crump 2.1 and 2.0 but in his second defence against Shawn Moran lost 0.2(Engine gremlins) and failed to turn up at Owlerton he then had to forfeit the title.
  • Like 1