British Speedway Forum
stevebrum

Wolves V Lakeside 21/7

Actually Coventry have been almost-certs for the play-offs for some time, with the 2nd best away record in the league. Their home points lost (-9) against away points gained (+15) gives them +6 overall. They are efffectively 2nd in the league atm on that basis. As long as they don't lose anymore home points they should easily make it.

Wolves unfortunately are almost bottom, with an overall of -10 (same as Leicester but above them due to match pts difference). Wolves obviously need to win away to close the gap to have any chance.

Coventry were only outside the top 4 until recently. No matter what the stats show.

Went of this meeting hoping for a Wolves win as they were never a threat for the play-offs while Lakeside are. But left giggling at Wolves losing at home. Get back gone to read stevebrums comments and have another giggle. The one thing he has got right is Kim Nilssons score is flattering - I didn't even notice him other than in heat 7.

I had a giggle at your post, trying to work out what you meant.

I called it all right.

Edited by stevebrum

Coventry were only outside the top 4 until recently. No matter what the stats show.

Nope - they've been effectively 2nd way before they signed MJJ due the points they'd already earned away. The only way they can blow it is to lose a lot of home points.

Trouble is people tend to look at the published league table and believe it - but the only points that really matter are those lost at home versus those gained away which, in the end, determine final league positions.

• Like 1

Nope - they've been effectively 2nd way before they signed MJJ due the points they'd already earned away. The only way they can blow it is to lose a lot of home points.

Trouble is people tend to look at the published league table and believe it - but the only points that really matter are those lost at home versus those gained away which, in the end, determine final league positions.

My point remains, in the league table they WEREN'T 2nd. They of course are now showing the form and the table is starting to reflect the away efforts with more earned home points.

your right,basic knowledge that...compare home losses to away wins, much quicker/easier

Tom Perry is in positive mood ahead of Wolves' crucial clash with Lakeside tonight and says he is ready for what will be a tough test.

Is Tom in 'a positive mood' for his 'tough test' because, as he said last week (pre-Cov appearance) he's 'going to be giving it 100'%?

He really is becoming a real little king of the clichés isn't he.

Tatum and Pearson must know that their days are numbered; and with you as his PA, who can blame them!

Dear oh dear - 'guesty 1992s' initial post appears to have vanished from this thread?

So pleased that I've quoted it, for austerity, and all that.

Never mind: hopefully despite Tom's 2 points from 3 rides, it hasn't had a negative impact upon his 'positive mood' and despite 'giving it 100%' he realises that it was a 'tough test'.

By the way, before anyone gives me stick, all I can say in my defence is that Karl Pilkington as Bullsh*t Man is one of my all time heroes. ;)

Edited by The Voice Of Reason
  • Like 1

Let me know if he makes any comments at the end of the match, apparently it was too 'tense' too be interviewed during the meet.

I switched off in disgust after ht 14 BW and really wasn't in the mood to listen to his drivel.

And we used to think Colin Pratt was an idiot :D

• Like 1

Coventry have Michael Jepsen Jensen, they will make the play-off's and even possibly win the league.

They wont win the league even with the erratic mjj

I suppose when poole go to monmore we will have a fit,up for the battle tai or can I hope he will be tired after the world cup

• Like 1

Glad i made the right decision in going to Cheltenham to watch the cricket,(at least i have one team to support,who knows how to win matches)instead having to indure another miserable night at Monmore.

Seems i wasnt the only one to give this meeting a miss,been told by someone,there were only two men and a dog to watch this woeful Wolves performance. :cry:

Glad i made the right decision in going to Cheltenham to watch the cricket,(at least i have one team to support,who knows how to win matches)instead having to indure another miserable night at Monmore.

Seems i wasnt the only one to give this meeting a miss,been told by someone,there were only two men and a dog to watch this woeful Wolves performance. :cry:

WRONG.

It was a decent turn out, just lower than it was last week and the weather should have encouraged MORE.

Maybe people were just too tired to turn up.

Edited by stevebrum
  • Like 1

Already discussed the `must win` nonsense. Most of us in attendance knew that this match had away win all over it.

Crowd was down despite gorgeous weather. Maybe some were just too tired to come tonight.

Harris proved a liability and an an inability to stay on the bike. At least he scored similar to the rider the rider he replaced.

He was still next to useless.

After the first race call back we seemed to switch up a gear and looked like we had a little bit of fight about us.

Bomber helped throw more points away in Heat 5 just as it looked like we were about to go 6 up, we then never looked like taking control.

A good ride by Bech just caught out an impressive Jacob in the 6th.

Fricke, who had hugely impressed previously as a guest against us seemed to struggle handling the opening bends in his heats so allowing fresh air from the off.

Ricky and Jacob both battled hard to get in scoring positions in the 8th and then both reserves got lucky in the 9th capitalising on mistakes by both Hammers riders, 2 up and still in it.

Harris stayed on his bike this time to finish adrift of the ever improving Bech in Heat 10 whilst Fricke capitalised on a mistake by Barker who was doing everything in his power to fence him by sneaking under him while he lifted.

Jacob rode superbly in the 11th with a swoop under Watt, impressive. However Pawlicki had a big engine blow in 3rd . More points lost.

Heat 13 and we were all level. Pawlicki looked much slower and both Hammers gated and gone. I think Harris finished the race but he was so far behind i couldn't be sure.

Advantage Lakeside now, Ricky did the duty in the 14th but Jacob couldn't hold onto 3rd which would have given us a fighting chance.

My money was on a Hammers 5-1 in the last to take all points but with Bech not getting off the gate and Pawlicki back to his speediest best Watt was never going to let 2nd go.

The better team won, as expected. Probably would have been by more if the master of Monmore was still in the side!

WOLVES

BOMBER - Woeful, despite trying his best in a couple of race. 0.5/5

FRICKE - Struggled early on but was good entertainment in his last 2 heats. Scored about the same as the rider he was guesting for! 2/5

JACOB - Worth more points for effort alone. 3/5

RICKY - If only he could produce this on a more consistent basis. MOTM 4/5

PIOTR - So quick in 3 heats, struggled in the 13th however. 3.5/5

JOE - Did well early on and raced hard against a quality draft rider. 3/5

TOM - He tries but at least managed to beat his opposing number on both occasions. 1/5

LAKESIDE

Watt - Excellent night from the captain. Rode well for his points and also in the hunt when behind. 4.5/5

Lawson - had one dodgy ride when he seemed to go backwards in Heat 8, otherwise did his job well. 3/5

Barker - the usual performance from Barker, never consistent. 2/5

Nilsson - The score flatters him a little. Nowhere in the 5th , but took 3rd thru Harris fall, picked up 3rd in the 11th when nowhere after Pawlicki had his EF. Did his job in the easiest heats but PK would have added 4-5 points more. 2/5

Bech - struggled early on then just got better. Class. 3.5/5

Ellis - Despite twice losing to Jacobs he was top reserve on the night. 3/5

Morley - struggled all night. 0/5

Did I read that right "crowd was down because people were too tired to come" hilarious !

Did I read that right "crowd was down because people were too tired to come" hilarious !

You read it right. I`m sure like the riders fans get `tired` too. :P

• Like 1

Cant believe anything i have said is in dispute!

With changes we MIGHT make the Play offs.

Coventry looked iffy till they made the change so its possible.

However i believe its too late in the day unless we go on a charge WITH NEW BLOOD.

As a fan you HAVE to believe your team is good enough - but i think i have made my position clear on our team right now!!

And if the promotion BELIEVE we can make the play offs they had better start making changes hadn't they!!

Nobody enjoys my speedway more than me!! But i want a team of 1-7 that at least look like they want to race for us. Not too much to ask is there!!

Match report up and fair and called as it see it - i think you will agree. :approve:

HAS THE POTENTIAL TO BE - so nearly right for once. :wink:

Did you predict Wolves to be basement dwellers last season as well??

Sometimes predictions can make one look daft cant they orion. :t:

The problem with the Wolves management is that they are extremely loyal to their riders and not proactive,they never seem to see when the writing is on the wall and when they do it is usually too late,not an accusation you can throw at Poole or Coventry in recent history,maybe thats why they are the most successful clubs.Looking at the reserves races last night,proper wobbling national league stuff masquerading as Elite league,have to question whether some of these riders have improved,they seem to be always overiding at this level.
  • Like 1

The problem with the Wolves management is that they are extremely loyal to their riders and not proactive,they never seem to see when the writing is on the wall and when they do it is usually too late,not an accusation you can throw at Poole or Coventry in recent history,maybe thats why they are the most successful clubs.Looking at the reserves races last night,proper wobbling national league stuff masquerading as Elite league,have to question whether some of these riders have improved,they seem to be always overiding at this level.

The management need to wake up and smell the coffee. Even the true optimistic fans like me know the only way is down with this side.

The draft riders always provide the entertainment for me. What they lack in skill they make up for all out action.

Doubt you could describe Ellis as a `wobbler` - he beat Fricke last night.

The majority were always likely to struggle, but for 3 or 4 we have seen a marked improvement which has to make the future brighter.

As for Wolves i was really happy with our pairing at the start of the year. On paper i would say we had the strongest (according to draft positions).

However neither have scored big like the `better` reserves which i would expect 5-6 from each per match. Jacobs has probably been the better overall (and was ranked lower) but we consistently seem outscored by the other teams reserves.

I switched off in disgust after ht 14 BW and really wasn't in the mood to listen to his drivel.

And we used to think Colin Pratt was an idiot :D

You lasted a race longer than I did then!

• Like 1