British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mickthemuppet

World Cup Final 2nd August 2014

Met up with BORIS in BYDGOSZCZ square midday saturday...whatever your Political views...this man's a Star. spent good time chatting to us, told us he had been to WIMBLEDON SPEEDWAY. Warm friendly...(a double 1st at Oxford..no mug)......and was on the plane back (Ryanair).....Top Man Boris, it was a pleasure to meet up and have a chat

Met up with BORIS in BYDGOSZCZ square midday saturday...whatever your Political views...this man's a Star.

Certainly can't be accused of being a bland politician.

Boris is speaking on Sky tv right now, and he began by speaking about speedway, speedway fans, team Gb finishing last, and Ryanair.

Boris is speaking on Sky tv right now, and he began by speaking about speedway, speedway fans, team Gb finishing last, and Ryanair.

Also shown on BBC National news.

Edited by A ORLOV

I presume that all the guys who rode for team GB, set up and maitain all thier own bikes and equipment. If this was a team for the Road Racers, then they would have had a squad of team machanics, and bikes prepared specially for the race.

In our sport it is no wonder we came last, they should have gone out on the top equipment, with a dedicated team of machanics.

The British lads where just to slow, that can only be put down to the poor preperation of the bikes.

How many of them had riden in Poland, who knew what to expext of the track.

Even the tour de France riders have better back up then our lads.

Time they started to look after them a bit better and to also make the most of the younger riders and bring them up to par because we will need them in a year or so's time to came in and take over.

As we stand at the moment, we will be lucky if we evn qualify in the future.

NOT really... this is the Polish national team we are talking about. There was over 150 accredited reporters/photographers there from Poland alone. No media boycott. Honestly, I don't really know the answer but if there really is an anti-SGP/BSI campaign why are the PZM themselves pushing ahead with a SGP round in Warsaw?

And the SWC Final was, in fact, a Bydgoszcz club event, not run by BSI themselves.

Seems the good people at Speedway Star don't see a poor crowd for the Speedway World Cup final in Poland as newsworthy . Maybe none of their reporters noticed !

Honestly, I don't really know the answer but if there really is an anti-SGP/BSI campaign why are the PZM themselves pushing ahead with a SGP round in Warsaw?

Should journalists not be seeking to find out the answers to such questions?

Perhaps the answer though, is that the Polish speedway clubs and fans have a different stance to the PZM? After all, you'd hardly say the ACU is very in touch with British speedway.

And the SWC Final was, in fact, a Bydgoszcz club event, not run by BSI themselves.

So they shouldn't be concerned about poor attendances?

• Like 1

Can't you find out the answers Philip? All Star readers would be interested surely?

A bit late, but anyway... I thought it was a brilliant final. Some excellent racing, and the meeting decided by a pass on the final bend of the final heat - what more could you want (other than a british medal). Amazed at the negative reactions on here. thought it was a great advert for speedway, except of course for the poor attendance.

The joker - have to say, I'm a little torn. In principal I don't like it, but certainly the tac subs and jokers transformed what looked like being a straight forward home victory into a superb contest - exactly what the rule is designed to do.

Disapointing, though predictable, that the thread devolved into the usual battle between dumb and dumber, once too thick to see that the British effort this year was significantly better than last year, the other unable to avoid turning everything into a dig at Poole.

Surpriing the number of people that thought the SWC final was the place to throw untried young British riders. I was amongst those that would have had more youngsters in the squad, and would probably have started Lambert in the home track meeting at Lynn, but happy to admit I had that wrong, without Stead's two first up wins the Brits would have struggled to qualify top. Either way, you p[ick your strongest team for a final, it could be a few more year's before we get the chance again. In reality, Poland, Denmark and Australia are some way ahead of the rest (the first two could name two or three world class sides), although a full strength Russian side would be competitive. England and Sweden are relatively evenly matched, and the other countries some way back (though of course Hancock's ability to score 21 on his own mean the USA will always have a slim chance of pulling off an upset). Would love to see test matches introduced, on home soil a series against Sweden would be closely fought, and even an "Ashes" series against UK based Aussies would be useful in rider development. Of course, overseas internationals, even if against weaker nations (e.g. Czechs, Latvians etc) would be useful to give the Brits overseas experience.

• Like 2

Can't you find out the answers Philip? All Star readers would be interested surely?

More interested than seeing pictures of the view from Rosco's room !