British Speedway Forum
drew2

Somerset Rebels Vs Berwick 05/09

Just 5 points from R/R so hope Brady back before the Play Offs.

I doubt he will be. Anybody who says there was cheating going on is deluded. Like Poole, Somerset is probably to fair..

I don't think anybody is calling it cheating, but preparing the track to their own rider's liking is a home team's perogative IMO. As long as the surface is smooth, consistent and safe if course.

Edited by Gordon Bennett

All the home teams prepare the track to the liking of their team...

Len Silver doesn't

I don't think anybody is calling it cheating, but preparing the track to their own rider's liking is a home team's prerogative IMO. As long as the surface is smooth, consistent and safe if course.

I certainly don't think it's cheating. Edited by Shadders

I don't think anybody is calling it cheating, but preparing the track to their own rider's liking is a home team's prerogative IMO. As long as the surface is smooth, consistent and safe if course.

Preparing the track for own advantage and 22-14 down after 6 hts dispels that theory.

Personally I'd say it is. The way I look at its no different to allowing the home riders to use 600cc bikes or wider tyres because it gives an advantage over the away team.

I have said all along, though, that tracks shouldn't ever be prepared for riders want anyway. They should be prepared for what spectators want.

Personally I'd say it is. The way I look at its no different to allowing the home riders to use 600cc bikes or wider tyres because it gives an advantage over the away team.

I have said all along, though, that tracks shouldn't ever be prepared for riders want anyway. They should be prepared for what spectators want.[/

So setting up your home track in a way that does not favour the home riders and the home supporters is the way forward. I think if all the tracks were identical i.e size,shape cosistancy and so on like say football pitches for example , maybe. Whilst there is such a difference I think in the main the best chance a rider has to score points and earn a living is on a surface where he is comfortable and does not have to worry too much about the set up. The better riders tend to succeed anyway on most tracks through experience.

I'll be surprised if Berwick score 35 points.

Can you fill out my lottery numbers for next week please Shads ;)

Edited by womble53

Preparing the track for own advantage and 22-14 down after 6 hts dispels that theory.

The suggestion on here was that the track prep might have been altered after the first half dozen or so heats after which Somerset were much better. All I'm saying is that its their perogative to do that as long as the track is still safe to ride.

And a paid max the week before against the Cats , still I agree with you regarding Brady but I would be a bit cautious about bringing him back too early.

Can't judge last week as opposition so poor.

I have said all along, though, that tracks shouldn't ever be prepared for riders want anyway. They should be prepared for what spectators want.

That's part of speedway for me HT, makes away wins all the more sweet when they come along. Little things like grippy starts, the outside or inside of corners being ripped up etc will happen if the home riders want them to but won't necessarily detract from the entertainment. Wouldn't ever agree with a track being too slick, too grippy, full of ruts or inconsistent though.

The track was tricky to start with and maybe caught the home boys out a bit but i can tell you, and the home promoters sensed it as well,that for the first time in a few weeks the opposition came down with a feeling they could win. When former Rebel Claus was asked why are you here so early he swiftly replied 'we are here to win'! The Bandits certainly set off in that manner and the main reason for the comeback had nothing to do with the track IMO but probably more to do with a Rebels team meeting led by a certain Garry May!

In all honesty it probably did the Rebels some good before they head into the play offs where teams won't turn up at the OTA defeated already.

Oh and just to add the main subject for this whole thread (that has been altered!) was the Rebels Golf day and i am pleased to say that just over £2000 was raised on the day for the Air Fence Fund. So to everyone who supported it in whatever way they could, I thank you!

Edited by drew2
  • Like 1

Can't judge last week as opposition so poor.

If we had started against the Cats as we did against the Bandits then maybe that score would have been closer.

I don't think anybody is calling it cheating, but preparing the track to their own rider's liking is a home team's perogative IMO. As long as the surface is smooth, consistent and safe if course.

Agreed it was obvious the Rebels were struggling to stick with the Bandits and they sensibly graded the advantage out of the track. Any sane promotor would have done the same thing. Bandits fault was not being able to change set ups to cope with it. There engines seemed too strong for the slicker conditions. Some of the moves by Morris were on the hard side but then it's not a game for whimps.

Special mention to Wethers and Wright. It was a great race until the crash but Wethers did so well to scrub the speed off and not stuff Wright too much. Nice to see both riders checking each other were ok and both just got on with it. Shame some of the GP riders do not do the same.

On the whole a decent meeting for the neutral like me.