British Speedway Forum
TheReturn

Back To Basics

I was checking the league table on the BSPA website last night and when you look at this, it just emphasis to me how unnecessarily complicated speedway has become.

LEAGUE SCORING SYSTEM

Home loss by any amount of points = 0

Home draw = 1

Home win by between 1 and 6 points = 2

Home win by 7 points or more = 3

Away loss by 7 points or more = 0

Away loss by 6 points or less = 1

Away draw = 2

Away win by between 1 and 6 points = 3

Away win by 7 points or more = 4

Then we have the double points tact sub rule. I know some people like these things, but if speedway wants to attract new fans we need to keep things simple, four men, four bikes, four laps with simple scoring rules. I personally still don't see a problem with the bonus point for the aggregate score over two home and away matches.

But back to basics when viewing at a glance would this not make much more common sense for old and new fans alike?

LEAGUE SCORING SYSTEM

Win = 3

Draw = 1

Edited by TheReturn
  • Like 1

I disagree, this is one of the better rules. Heat 15 at Poole last night and Poole could have ended with 1,2 or 3 points (or 0 if they got 5-0d) and Wolves could have got 1 or 2 (3 if they got a 5-0). Made the last few heats interesting and made heat 15 a much better race with Harris and Bridger passing and re-passing for the league point.

I can see both sides. A system that keeps matches alive isn't a bad thing, but if it gets too complicated to follow fans can feel detached. Ideally, I think basic rules should follow common sense; it shouldn't be necessary to refer to a long list.

Teams now have the incentive to fight right to the end of the meeting to get an extra point, providing the gap is not too large. In the past teams have given up and not raced till the end of the meeting.

It is the double points that needs changing, or got rid of.

• Like 2

Yer i like it how the points work now. Just reckon they need to ditch the double points. How can a team work hard and make a ten point lead then it be wiped away by one heat loss

Edited by James Taplin
  • Like 2

Teams now have the incentive to fight right to the end of the meeting to get an extra point,

But to be fair they always had that opportunity when the aggregate bonus point was taken into consideration, not to mention pay by points. I just think the list at the top is ridiculous with so many variations on league points.

Edited by TheReturn

The scoring system is by far the best idea British speedway has come up with in years, keeps many more meetings alive to the end. Got to stay IMO, and not at all complicated for a newcomer to grasp in my experience.

• Like 3

First thing to do is get rid of the double points. as said above it is not fair if a team has managed by fair means to get 10 points in front only to see that taken away and then to lose the meeting due to double points and tacticle rides.

Let the scores be just what it should be the points actually scored.

Not points by some stupid rules just to make the meetings look good when they where shown on Sky. They are old news now so lets get shut of it once and for all.

The amount of speedway shown on Sky this year has been terrible, we used to get a meeting every week now you are lucky if it is once every 2 weeks.

Lets alter the rules this year at the AGM not that they will. There are to many big promoters out there that need these stupid scoring rules to be able to get to the play offs at the end of the year.

Other sports like cricket and rugby have complicated scoring systems and they seem to manage ok. They don't however, have anything like the double points rule and that damages credibility, I think

Perhaps if teams were only allowed to use "tactical riders" a certain number of times per season it might help to make this rule slightly more acceptable. Then team managers would have to do some "tactical" thinking.

Other sports like cricket and rugby have complicated scoring systems and they seem to manage ok. They don't however, have anything like the double points rule and that damages credibility, I think

Nothing complicated about Cricket -

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side thats been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay all out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out.

When both sides have been in and all the men have out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game!

See - Simples!! :P

• Like 1

The scoring system is by far the best idea British speedway has come up with in years, keeps many more meetings alive to the end. Got to stay IMO, and not at all complicated for a newcomer to grasp in my experience.

CONTRIVED!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

FIDDLE!!! :mad: :mad:

CONTRIVED!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

FIDDLE!!! :mad: :mad:

Easy, tiger! I'm not talking about the TR, I'm no great fan of that tbh, it's the match scoring system to which I refer. Nothing contrived or fiddled about awarding an away team for a good performance.

• Like 2

Perhaps if teams were only allowed to use "tactical riders" a certain number of times per season it might help to make this rule slightly more acceptable. Then team managers would have to do some "tactical" thinking.

You are joking, aren't you. Can imagine the scenario. Team manager "We'll bring Joe Bloggs out as a TR in the next heat. No, lets save him for the week after next!!" I think you should put in for Harkess' job.

With a suggestion like this the BSPA will welcome you with open arms.

I think we should ban capital letters on here the white knight would only post once a month.

• Like 1