British Speedway Forum
abbo

Double Headers Being Called Off Because Of A Curfew

Coventry Storm have run two double headers this season, first was abandoned at 1045 when we lost the last race. The 2nd was against the second meeting of the night against Devon, called off after heat 10 at 10.10pm by the Promoter, this time we lost 5 heats of racing. Speedway now seems to have an answer to the problem, 6th September Workington rode a D/H against Glasgow and Somerset. First meeting ended after 12 heats (abandoned after heat 12 to allow 2nd meeting of double header to take place result stands) Second meeting called off after heat 12 (Curfew - result stands). Supporters deprived of 6 heats of Speedway, 2nd meeting was called at 40 - 32 bet Somerset supporters were impressed they must have still been in for League points if the match had run it's course. Coventry have a DH next Friday against Eastbourne (both matches) start is scheduled for 7pm. Last Sunday's meeting against Leicester took 2 hours 10 minutes to complete, double it 4.20 hours, how can you fit that into three hours of racing with a 10pm Curfew. Sorry not good enough, I imagine the promoters can save 6 heats of riders pay and the supporters lose 6 races of entertainment when it is obvious these meetings cannot be completed in the time. I wonder whether the Trading Standards would be interested in what appears to be a new way of completing the Leagues and Promoter saving money. Also riders being deprived of wages.

Edited by abbo
  • Like 3

Well, if thats how speedway is organised these days I am so glad I havnt been for 30 odd years, and no real intention of going - except for Cardiff which is run well.

Any chance of Coventry telling us what time the curfew will be this Friday well before the meeting, rather than making it up on the spot when it suits.

Also how much will they charge and will we see 25 or 30 heats?

• Like 5

Any chance of Coventry telling us what time the curfew will be this Friday well before the meeting, rather than making it up on the spot when it suits.

Also how much will they charge and will we see 25 or 30 heats?

What time was the last curfew. 22-15hrs 10-15pm wasn't it?

They'd better get a jog on, weeds grow faster than Coventry Speedway meetings do :D

We all know that the curfew is 11pm so who knows why it's been earlier than that recently, maybe the stadium bosses asked for it? They wouldnt let a 2nd half run a couple of months back. You would think they could run two meetings in 3 and a half hours, it's the refs job to get the meeting flowing. Stick the 2 minutes on soon as riders leave the track and NO intervals!

Edited by woz01
  • Like 3

I would suggest that the fans who support the Storm meetings are the real core of Coventry's support. If this Elite league double header is completed after the recent 10:15 curfew then they are going to feel even more aggrieved/pissed off as there is obviously no such thing.

The only reason for the curfew would have been to save points money resulting in annoying their keenest fans and I would have thought riders as well. Presumably some Plymouth riders only had 2 or 3 races, not a very fair way to treat the young kids.

• Like 5

If Eastbourne keep it close or winning I'm sure they will both go to heat 15!

• Like 1

Mildenhall done and dusted around 1 hr 15 mins yesterday, excluding parade. That's with both teams using R/R, therefore a few heats with 2 on the trot. Admittedly no incidents or restarts which can make a big difference.

It always makes me laugh when I go to a meeting and the first thing they say "we are going to get on with it tonight" usually because the threat of rain, you know straight away its going to be a farce.

Its the same on sky they come on and say the usual then have an advert, rider inteviews, interval, more interviews.

We have all been to meeting when they do get on with it and it keeps the excitment up and the action coming, its being treated like an idiot when they have a delay, track work or rider needing a paramedic and then they have the bloody interval, there must be enough time for the track staff to go to the loo or get a drink at these times.

The last three meeting at coventry that Ive been to have seemed long meeting, Im not a coventry supporter but have been to Brandon a lot over the years, it does seem to be a bit lacking in the running of the meeting, which is a shame because a few years ago it was one of the best.

• Like 2

It always makes me laugh when I go to a meeting and the first thing they say "we are going to get on with it tonight" usually because the threat of rain, you know straight away its going to be a farce.

Its the same on sky they come on and say the usual then have an advert, rider inteviews, interval, more interviews.

We have all been to meeting when they do get on with it and it keeps the excitment up and the action coming, its being treated like an idiot when they have a delay, track work or rider needing a paramedic and then they have the bloody interval, there must be enough time for the track staff to go to the loo or get a drink at these times.

The last three meeting at coventry that Ive been to have seemed long meeting, Im not a coventry supporter but have been to Brandon a lot over the years, it does seem to be a bit lacking in the running of the meeting, which is a shame because a few years ago it was one of the best.

I usually blame the referee for a slow meeting but when we do have hold ups an interval still happens, that annoys me. A 10-15 minute between meetings should be enough for Friday.

The ref need to put on the two min as soon as the prev race finishes, allowing for any rider riding two on the trot if r/r, and if there is an unsatisfactory start as soon as he puts on the red lights.

Edited by A ORLOV
  • Like 1

If the double header is against the same time,why not hav one match for double points?Recall years ago teams combining cup& league matches together,one result covered both.Seems simple to me,teams could put all there resources into one match !!

If the double header is against the same time,why not hav one match for double points?Recall years ago teams combining cup& league matches together,one result covered both.Seems simple to me,teams could put all there resources into one match !!

Swindon did that this year for the Elite League and Elite Shield meetings

• Like 1

Am I missing something here ??

But wasn't Workington's Double-Header last Saturday, when being a weekend date, surely an earlier start time of say 5pm could have been used if there's a curfew later on.....

• Like 1