British Speedway Forum
kitten2502

Birmingham Brummies - Has The Come Back Trail Started?

Are you saying the club did not lose the money Alan Phillips documented ?

Let's face it - the guy's an accountant. He can make money disappear and then reappear wherever he wants it to. I seriously doubt he lost much (or indeed any) of his own money in the venture. Other people's money, well, that's another question altogether....

The latest news is a real downer for Brummies fans, and I fear it's the end of the road for speedway at Perry Barr with a team running under the name of Birmingham. For Cradley Heath, however, this could be a totally different story. A ready made home to move straight into, and the ability to operate at whatever level they want to. And it would be a home for however long they wanted it. Planning permission may not be a serious problem for them now.

• Like 1

Mole mentions a £100,000.00 is not there to bring back Birmingham.

That does not sound a lot when you see how much money is in the Premier League (football) - THEY ARE SWIMMING IN MONEY !!!

I know this is Speedway and is a lot different and £100,000.00 is a lot to a normal supporter.

Just shows Speedway is just not going to survive as a professional sport much longer in this Country.

• Like 2

TONY Mole has regrettably announced he has shelved plans to bring Birmingham Speedway back to the tapes in 2015.

Mole had been attempting to revive the Brummies following their closure midway through the 2014 campaign following the collapse of the Alan and Charles Phillips promotion.

However, several meetings with potential investors have failed to generate the finance needed to bring the Perry Barr outfit back to life.

The news comes as a bitter blow to Birmingham’s loyal supporters, with the sport set to be lost to the city for another 12 months.

And a disappointed Mole has revealed there was simply not enough interest to make the proposition financially viable.

Said Mole: “Our attempt to bring Birmingham back in 2015 has failed because there are insufficient financial pledges being made to meet the targeted figure of £100,000.

“We are unfortunately unable to proceed because of insufficient finance, and for that reason I won’t be able to promote speedway in the Elite League or Premier League at Perry Barr next season.

“It’s extremely disappointing – we’ve had one or two people show interest but they haven’t followed it up as a result there just hasn’t been sufficient interest in bringing speedway back to Perry Barr to make it happen.”

Kick in the teeth for all the fans who contributed over £10,000 to a fighting fund

I have a bad feeling thatv this could be the end of the road for good for the Brummies this time

I am positive that Tony Mole has fully weighed up the financial needs. There is a mega difference between the £100,000 quoted as being needed for the Brummies to return and the £10,000 raised - a £90,000 tally. Dare I ask - how much of the supporters £10,000 was actually forwarded - and how much was "promised"?

On a different note - I was at a Birmingham revival meeting in the late 1950s - selling copies of 'Speedway Star.' Does any BSF member recall that fantastic revival night? - there was a massive crowd, my guess around 12,000 at miniumum.

Edited by Guest

Very sad to read the Tony Mole statement after so much earlier positivity!!

However, does this open the door to any other potential promotion/consortium to get involved (without Mole's involvement) - aside from the previously mentioned Cradley possibility??!

Edited by Skidder1

Extremely disappointed to say the least, and with the venture in Milton Keynes (where I live) seemingly not going anywhere, that is probably another supporter lost to domestic speedway.

Despite only being in my mid-20s and therefore missing the previous incarnation of the Brummies, there's been some fantastic memories in the last 7 years, I'll continue to proudly wear my red and yellow scarf, and will be a Brummie for life, even if they never take to the tapes again.

I hope this isn't the end, but it sure feels like it at the moment.

• Like 1

In view of recent developments with Wolverhampton, I wonder if Tony Mole is just declaring himself out of running a Birmingham team in order to clear the way for a "Cradley and Birmingham" team?

If I were a promoter looking to go into Birmingham, this is what I would do.

To reopen a Birmingham team with a limited Birmingham crowd-base would be a gamble. But if there was some way to harness the Birmingham fan-base and the Cradley fan-base, then you've got something looking far more like a viable business plan.

I know there's no love lost between Birmingham fans and Cradley fans, but now that Mole has pulled out of reviving Birmingham we've got a Cradley team and fan-base with nowhere to ride, Birmingham fans with no team, and an available stadium....surely however much the fans dislike each other, pulling all these items together into a viable club must be the best option?

Not sure there is much dislike between Cradley and Brummies Fans (any more than there is dislike between Cradley and anyone else, but that's a different thread!) - I think the fly in the ointment would be the dual naming of any team. Perry Barr isn't a particularly popular option for a lot of Cradley fans (of course it is much preferably to no speedway) and to name a team "Birmingham Heathens" or similar wouldn't see a lot of enthusiasm from the Black Country I fear.

Let's face it - the guy's an accountant. He can make money disappear and then reappear wherever he wants it to. I seriously doubt he lost much (or indeed any) of his own money in the venture. Other people's money, well, that's another question altogether....

The latest news is a real downer for Brummies fans, and I fear it's the end of the road for speedway at Perry Barr with a team running under the name of Birmingham. For Cradley Heath, however, this could be a totally different story. A ready made home to move straight into, and the ability to operate at whatever level they want to. And it would be a home for however long they wanted it. Planning permission may not be a serious problem for them now.

Nigel Pearson has said that it would be wrong for Cradley to run at Perry Barr if there weren't a Birmingham team running there, but depending on the make up of the National League surely there would be enough free weeks in the season to both run at that level?

Either way this seems a bitter blow for Brummies Fans, along with everyone else I sincerely hope a solution can be found

Not sure there is much dislike between Cradley and Brummies Fans (any more than there is dislike between Cradley and anyone else, but that's a different thread!) - I think the fly in the ointment would be the dual naming of any team. Perry Barr isn't a particularly popular option for a lot of Cradley fans (of course it is much preferably to no speedway) and to name a team "Birmingham Heathens" or similar wouldn't see a lot of enthusiasm from the Black Country I fear.

Nigel Pearson has said that it would be wrong for Cradley to run at Perry Barr if there weren't a Birmingham team running there, but depending on the make up of the National League surely there would be enough free weeks in the season to both run at that level?

Either way this seems a bitter blow for Brummies Fans, along with everyone else I sincerely hope a solution can be found

The name situation isnt a problem, Edinburgh havent ridden in Edinburgh for how many years 10+ ? its hasnt stopped them being succesful, Dislike between Birmingham Cradley fans, i dont think so.. rarely have we been in the same league.

I feel particuarly sorry for my friend Brian Buck, however i still believe Birmingham could track a team in the lower leagues.

In view of recent developments with Wolverhampton, I wonder if Tony Mole is just declaring himself out of running a Birmingham team in order to clear the way for a "Cradley and Birmingham" team?

If I were a promoter looking to go into Birmingham, this is what I would do.

To reopen a Birmingham team with a limited Birmingham crowd-base would be a gamble. But if there was some way to harness the Birmingham fan-base and the Cradley fan-base, then you've got something looking far more like a viable business plan.

I know there's no love lost between Birmingham fans and Cradley fans, but now that Mole has pulled out of reviving Birmingham we've got a Cradley team and fan-base with nowhere to ride, Birmingham fans with no team, and an available stadium....surely however much the fans dislike each other, pulling all these items together into a viable club must be the best option?

Hmmm. I've heard of something like this before................Oh yes Glasgow/Edinburgh. Didn't really work out, mainly I think because the Monarchs name was retained.

...Said Mole: “Our attempt to bring Birmingham back in 2015 has failed because there are insufficient financial pledges being made to meet the targeted figure of £100,000.

“We are unfortunately unable to proceed because of insufficient finance, and for that reason I won’t be able to promote speedway in the Elite League or Premier League at Perry Barr next season.

“It’s extremely disappointing – we’ve had one or two people show interest but they haven’t followed it up as a result there just hasn’t been sufficient interest in bringing speedway back to Perry Barr to make it happen.”

Very sad to read this, but not that surprised, to be honest. Seems that there were interested parties, who by the sounds of it did a bit of "due diligence" didn't like what they saw, and backed out. Let's face it, who can blame them with the state of the sport as it is?

The only hope now are in the loopholes in Tony Mole's statement, that maybe something can be done at National League level, or that 2016 is a possibility.

Hmmm. I've heard of something like this before................Oh yes Glasgow/Edinburgh. Didn't really work out

I'd say it did work out.

At the end of 1995 Glasgow closed down (like Birmingham) and Edinburgh lost the use of their stadium (like Cradley), so in 1996 a joint "Scottish Monarchs" team ran at Shawfield.

By 1997 Edinburgh had a new base at Armadale and a Glasgow team was revived at Shawfield, so the joint venture helped keep both clubs alive.

• Like 1

Very sad to hear the news that Tony has pulled out. I know how much Birmingham means to him and it must have been a very difficult announcement to make.

Also sad for Brian Buck who has put so much personal effort into the Brummies down the years.

A Cradley move to Birmingham would be much better than nothing but it is not a universally popular venue with Cradley fans (me included) so we may struggle to maintain the numbers all season. I don't think a Birmingham Heathens venture would be particularly successful and that is nothing to do with any animosity between the fans because I've never encountered any. In fact both sets of supporters have supported both clubs in their various planning battles over the years.

Here's hoping that both Brummies and Heathens get back to the tapes for next season in some guise. There is still time for somehting to be done if there is a backer to be found.

• Like 1

I'd say it did work out.

At the end of 1995 Glasgow closed down (like Birmingham) and Edinburgh lost the use of their stadium (like Cradley), so in 1996 a joint "Scottish Monarchs" team ran at Shawfield.

By 1997 Edinburgh had a new base at Armadale and a Glasgow team was revived at Shawfield, so the joint venture helped keep both clubs alive.

I meant support wise. Glasgow supporters (those that attended) didn't shout for the Monarchs and Edinburgh supporters didn't want to come to Glasgow. By the way it was a Glasgow supporter who worked at Armadale greyhounds that suggested Armadale to Edinburgh. :cheers:

Edited by tyretrax

I meant support wise. Glasgow supporters (those that attended) didn't shout for the Monarchs and Edinburgh supporters didn't want to come to Glasgow. By the way it was a Glasgow supporter who worked at Armadale greyhounds that suggested Armadale to Edinburgh. :cheers:

I do think we may have seen the last of speedway at perry bar if tony thinks he cant make it work? then don't know who will take it on. shame because its one of the better tracks in british speedway. Hope im wrong.............................................

There is no real animosity between Cradley and Birmingham supporters even though we are less than 10 miles apart, but there is the normal resentment at some levels (not connected with speedway) of a small town next door to a big City. "Birmingham Heathens" or "Cradley Brummies" would be a total non-starter. It would have to be Cradley Heath racing at Birmingham - like it or lump it. As a lifelong Birmingham supporter I fully appreciate that.

This is not to suggest that such an arrangement wouldn't work. I think it would and although it isn't the solution that either set of fans really want, it would at least be a lifeline for both of us to hang on to, and perhaps eventually the time will come when we can shake hands, wish each other good luck, and go our separate ways as two distinct clubs again?

To make this viable though, we would all of us have to accept it as a fait accompli and give it our support. Both sets of supporters have to give it their full backing and not take the view that "I'm not going to that place" or "I'm not supporting any team not wearing yellow and red." If too many take this attitude, then this will just lessen the long term chances of survival for both Birmingham and Cradley. If the combined attendances from Monmore and PerryBarr can be maintained, then speedway at Perry Barr would be a profitable undertaking.

We need each other - and never more than we do at this moment, so please, please supporters of Cradley Heath and Birmingham - give it your backing if it does happen. The alternative is what we Birmingham folk suffered for 21 years, and you Cradley people for 15 years, so does anyone really want that to happen again just for the silly rivalry over a name? I hope not.

Brian Buck you are a true gentleman, and i wholeheartedly agree with you.

Regards Paul, Blackbrook road.

• Like 1