British Speedway Forum
kitten2502

Birmingham Brummies - Has The Come Back Trail Started?

From 2days Birmingham Mail

Tony Mole has refused to rule out the possibility of Cradley taking over use of Brum’s Perry Barr stadium in 2015.

The nomadic Heathens have used Wolverhampton’s Monmore Green circuit since their return to the shale in 2010 some 14 years after the closure of their Dudley Wood track.

However, they were recently informed their adopted home will no longer be available for regular racing.

With Mole cancelling plans to bring Birmingham back to the tapes in 2015 due to lack of finance, speculation has naturally linked their neighbours to the vacant Perry Barr track.

Having purchased vital track equipment from administrators following the collapse of the Alan Phillips ’ Brummies promotion, Mole’s position is crucial in deciding whether speedway will return to Perry Barr in any form.

However, he says the Heathens’ fate lies in the hands of their promotion with the clock ticking on any decisions ahead of the sports’ AGM.

Said Mole: “It’s impossible for me to say really whether I believe the Heathens will be riding at Perry Barr next season, because it’s a matter for their promotion to consider.

“They need to consider all the facts and decide whether they would want to take the risk of moving the club to Perry Barr. Maybe the fans would follow the Heathens to Perry Barr but it’s not for me to say.

“The BSPA will hold their AGM over the weekend of November 14, and that is when plans will be set out for the 2015 season.”

If there is ZERO chance of the Brummies racing even in the NL next year, I wouldnt object to Cradley riding at Perry Barr. The worst case for me would be Perry Barr Stadium lying empty. It would much harder to see the Brummies back if its empty as things could change, the track could be grassed over etc.... I wonder what the Council would say, might be an obstacle for Cradley as Im not sure they would allow a team from an area outside their jurisdiction racing in a stadium they own. May have to be a joint team.

My wish is for a Brummies and Cradley team in the Nl sharing the stadium.

Agree with everything you say bar the last sentence Brummie Kev!

Cradley have outgrown the NL and the Brummies need more than NL to capture the imagination, just look at the poor crowds last season in the top flight that led to the mid term closure!

I know fans from both clubs feel uncomfortable about a Cradley team running out of Perry Bar but believe me this is better than no speedway and would give both clubs a better chance of operating independently and on their own tracks in the future!

• Like 1

Agree with everything you say bar the last sentence Brummie Kev!

Cradley have outgrown the NL and the Brummies need more than NL to capture the imagination, just look at the poor crowds last season in the top flight that led to the mid term closure!

I know fans from both clubs feel uncomfortable about a Cradley team running out of Perry Bar but believe me this is better than no speedway and would give both clubs a better chance of operating independently and on their own tracks in the future!

Have to say that I agree with Brummie Kev.

From what I can see on 2014 numbers the only way Cradley & Brum can co-exist is taken from the following:

NL Cradley & NL Brum, as Perry Bar Heathens & Perry Bar Brummies!

EL Cradley & NL Brum, as Perry Bar Heathens & Perry Bar Brummies!

PL Perry Bar (B)Heathens (to keep the Council happy)with a Cradley front and a Brummies back to the bib or a Cradley/Brummie front & back!

To say that the Heathens get the front of the bib is due to who would be major in the financing of the venture and as the most successful club in any league we have been in!

I know that it would not keep everybody happy BUT BOTH parties with be catered for 'til the explosion occurs in West Midlands Speedway....I would, as a life time Heathens fan have a team on home shale and so would a lot of Brummies fans. We go back too far in both our histories to fight, well 1947 at least and we will have to forget the Alan Hunt and Graham Warren sagas!!!!!!

Due to Perry Bar's constraints I cannot see PL & NL co-existing with the number of available dates!

• Like 1

Have to say that I agree with Brummie Kev.

From what I can see on 2014 numbers the only way Cradley & Brum can co-exist is taken from the following:

NL Cradley & NL Brum, as Perry Bar Heathens & Perry Bar Brummies!

EL Cradley & NL Brum, as Perry Bar Heathens & Perry Bar Brummies!

PL Perry Bar (B)Heathens (to keep the Council happy)with a Cradley front and a Brummies back to the bib or a Cradley/Brummie front & back!

To say that the Heathens get the front of the bib is due to who would be major in the financing of the venture and as the most successful club in any league we have been in!

I know that it would not keep everybody happy BUT BOTH parties with be catered for 'til the explosion occurs in West Midlands Speedway....I would, as a life time Heathens fan have a team on home shale and so would a lot of Brummies fans. We go back too far in both our histories to fight, well 1947 at least and we will have to forget the Alan Hunt and Graham Warren sagas!!!!!!

Due to Perry Bar's constraints I cannot see PL & NL co-existing with the number of available dates!

Sorry to disagree mate but wouldnt be at all happy with Perry Barr Heathens, jeez we ran out of Perry Barr as Dudley Heathens when we used that name i never once called them Dudley. If we want Cradley fans to support the Team we have to go as Cradley Heath, i tell you now, i wouldnt even go if its any other name.

Give me a good reason to go as Perry Barr Heathens, its a mish mash of the 2 names and means nowt to anyone. Planning? the council gave planning permission for Speedway whatever the name.

I am totally in favour of NL racing out of Perry Barr by both Cradley Heath and The Brummies personally i think it could work, and would be viable, No one seems to know what the rent is, shall we estimate as £1.5k per meeting, that equals 137 supporters at £11 per meeting if Brum cant get that then they dont deserve speedway. Yes i fully realise the additional costs involved but surely the rent is first and foremost.

25 year fan, 1 week ago i would have agreed that we have outgrown the NL at Cradley, now however its an entirely different situation, Firstly it would be a gamble to have the first season in the PL if we supposedly used Perry Barr, and secondly i think the NL will be a much different entity to what it has been recently for instance a tighter points limit than we have had recently with min and max points limits depending on the number of Teams involved, hopefully this would eliminate the regular 60 point results of this season.

Edited by greyhoundp
  • Like 1

The one even more sadder thing to come out of this is some folk blaming Tony Mole for Birmingham Speedway not returning in 2015! I hope these people understand that the only very faint hope of the Brummies ever returning solely rests with TM at this time, So think about what you say!!

As for Cradley using Perry Barr in 2015, I think it would be a good idea to keep Speedway going in Perry Barr keep the track/facilities prepared each week rather than becoming run down and forgotten totally.

I understand supporters being upset but point the finger in the right direction not at the man who brought Speedway back to Brum after 20 odd years in the wilderness.

• Like 7

The one even more sadder thing to come out of this is some folk blaming Tony Mole for Birmingham Speedway not returning in 2015! I hope these people understand that the only very faint hope of the Brummies ever returning solely rests with TM at this time, So think about what you say!!

As for Cradley using Perry Barr in 2015, I think it would be a good idea to keep Speedway going in Perry Barr keep the track/facilities prepared each week rather than becoming run down and forgotten totally.

I understand supporters being upset but point the finger in the right direction not at the man who brought Speedway back to Brum after 20 odd years in the wilderness.

Tony Mole holds at least 2 GOLDEN KEYS to Perry Bar....1) Access to the owners & 2) the Speedway Plant! Without that, both Clubs are doomed to the Defunct Pile of Speedway History for the fore see able future.

Greyhoundp..........As to my usage of the Perry Bar name ........It will keep up to 2000+ fans more happy than Cradley @ Birmingham only! I cannot see the Council going against the Perry Bar name, unlike Redcar did against Middlesbrough & Lathalan did against Linlithgow a while back.

Think out of the box, not like when a while back if it wore Dudley Wood we ay gooin! Then we might have a future on homeshale in the top division of Speedway where we belong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Once a Heathen, always a Heathen as it says in the programme!

Planning? the council gave planning permission for Speedway whatever the name.

Well, that's being discussed elsewhere at great length by some and I just can't understand why. What on earth has the team name got to do with the City Council? So long as planning requirements are not broken, they could be called Mars Martians and it wouldn't make the slightest difference!

No one seems to know what the rent is, shall we estimate as £1.5k per meeting, that equals 137 supporters at £11 per meeting if Brum cant get that then they dont deserve speedway. Yes i fully realise the additional costs involved but surely the rent is first and foremost.

Good point, and I think one of the reasons the relaunch bid for the Brummies has failed. Our fan base just isn't big enough. And as I said earlier, I don't think the GRA will deal with anyone wanting to operate speedway at Perry Barr without Tony Mole's involvement because of the rent payment problems of the past.

I agree, what has been said about Tony Mole today is disgraceful. The person who has had to clear up the mess from two previous failed promotions at the track as well as bringing speedway back to the city seven years ago. Absolutely unbelievable.

It would be a good idea to let Cradley use the track if they wanted, but I'm having difficulty getting round the 'use it or lose it' argument aimed at Brummies fans. Some have already said they wouldn't support the Heathens at Perry Barr, and fair enough, that's up to them (I'm one of them, by the way). Now if Cradley want to operate out of Birmingham, it's going to be on a business plan formulated on their own support. That, and that alone would decide whether or not it happened. If they do come to the conclusion that such a move would work and they manage to pick up some 'floating' Brummies supporters as a result of that, then that's a bonus as far as I can see.

• Like 1

Tony Mole holds at least 2 GOLDEN KEYS to Perry Bar....1) Access to the owners & 2) the Speedway Plant! Without that, both Clubs are doomed to the Defunct Pile of Speedway History for the fore see able future.

Greyhoundp..........As to my usage of the Perry Bar name ........It will keep up to 2000+ fans more happy than Cradley @ Birmingham only! I cannot see the Council going against the Perry Bar name, unlike Redcar did against Middlesbrough & Lathalan did against Linlithgow a while back.

Think out of the box, not like when a while back if it wore Dudley Wood we ay gooin! Then we might have a future on homeshale in the top division of Speedway where we belong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Once a Heathen, always a Heathen as it says in the programme!

Im thinking out of the Box, no need to keep council happy with names, Planning permission is there.

as for being being a Heathen, a 352 mile round trip for most home meetings is proof of that.

Have to agree a week ago I was all for pl cuz I've had enough of nl.however,the situation has changed dramatically.if we do end up at perry Barr next year in the nl il be supporting it fully.at this moment in time it may be our best if not only option

• Like 1

If the Speedway on offer next season is Cradley then I will attend some meetings, I am a Brummies supporter and I want to see them race but should they not be in a league then I would go to Perry Barr to watch some Speedway anyway.

I sincerely hope that one day we both race in the PL.

• Like 2

Had the BSPA acted at the end of 2013 when they were warned by trustworthy people that Brummies under Phillips was heading for financial meltdown then a Phoenix would have risen out of the flames and in all likelihood a Brummies team would be functioning today.

Had they heeded similar warnings about Mallett at Newport 2 years before there still could have been speedway in South Wales!

The sport is on its knees and it's self governed body is allowing people who aren't fit for purpose to drive more nails into an already well worn coffin!

Where's next?

Well said that Man

Had the BSPA acted at the end of 2013 when they were warned by trustworthy people that Brummies under Phillips was heading for financial meltdown then a Phoenix would have risen out of the flames and in all likelihood a Brummies team would be functioning today.

Had they heeded similar warnings about Mallett at Newport 2 years before there still could have been speedway in South Wales!

The sport is on its knees and it's self governed body is allowing people who aren't fit for purpose to drive more nails into an already well worn coffin!

Where's next?

Wheres next ? I think Peterborough fans can answer that one.

I came on here expecting similar bile that I have been reading on the Birmingham forum with regard to Tony Mole being to blame and mindless comments aimed at Cradleys use of Perry Barr.

But what a refreshing surprise to find that isn't the case.

In this hour of need we should all be demonstrating that we are, first and foremost, in love with the sport and will do whatever is needed to keep as many clubs alive as possible.

Any venture launched at Perry Barr gets my full support.

• Like 5