British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
pointsmeanplayoffs

Sacking Riders After The Team Changes Deadline?

Seriously, what's the point of doing this?! Is it just a pompous gesture by a promotion?!

You cannot replace them with another rider / redeclare your 1-7. Nor SHOULD you be allowed to have a facility granted as the club have made the decision.

Leicester should not be allowed a facility tonight as they chose to sack Mads after the deadline.

Can someone clarify whether or not a rider sacked AFTER the deadline, can still guest for other teams? After all, the sacked rider will still be in the declared line up from the team that sacked him. I think they are able to still guest.

However, IF the sacked rider can't guest, then what's not to stop non-playoff making teams sacking ALL their riders after the regular season, therefore making it impossible for their riders to guest for other teams in the play-offs? With both KL and Poole scrambling around to each find 1 maybe 2 heat leaders then the situation could become farcical.

Leicester promotions haven't done themselves or the sport any favours at all... Just another one of those stupid happening that ridicule this sport..

Sometimes I think the promoters think the sport is run solely for their benefit

• Like 1

I believe Mads is still in the declared 1-7 for Leicester as they are unable to make a re-declaration, so therefore available to guest

Riders are making it clear that racing in Britain is no longer a priority and the pressures put on them by the clubs in other countries makes it difficult for them to ride here when important meetings are taking place in those countries.

Leicester have made their point by doing the same as Wolverhampton and saying enough is enough and made it clear that fans attending thier meetings will no longer feature those riders ..... should they be allowed a guest ? In this case the resul

t doesn't affect anything but in the case of Pawlicki, Wolves may have done better in certain matches and that could have affected the league table and who qualifies for the play offs ..... it didn't but in future it may do but you are now in catch 22

Riders (foreign clubs) can't dictate to British Speedway when they can and can't ride but clubs can't let them get away with it. Maybe a replacement after the deadline could be allowed if they are new riders .... ie Berntzon to replace Pawlicki or Zmarzlik to replace Mads (examples only) but not like for like ..... or allow a PL heat leader to guest at best.

Mads, Pawlicki and MJJ all decided to miss British meetings they shouldve been at. I'd say fair play to the clubs! If they were this firm a few years ago perhaps some riders will treat Britain a bit more Seriously.

• Like 8

Leicester promotions haven't done themselves or the sport any favours at all... Just another one of those stupid happening that ridicule this sport..

Why? Why shouldn't they sack a rider?

They can do what they want if they think a rider isn't putting Leicester speedway first.

• Like 3

Riders (foreign clubs) can't dictate to British Speedway when they can and can't ride but clubs can't let them get away with it. Maybe a replacement after the deadline could be allowed if they are new riders .... ie Berntzon to replace Pawlicki or Zmarzlik to replace Mads (examples only) but not like for like ..... or allow a PL heat leader to guest at best.

Sadly recent evidence would suggest that riders can do just that. there is little point in banning such riders if it simply results in them deciding not to ride in Britain. Any solution to this problem has to recognise the reality.

PMP:-

" ...the situation could become farcical."

could become...
could become....
Bit late for that - there have been 32 Elite League fixtures in the last four weeks.
Every single one of them has featured at least one guest :mad::sad::nono:
Edited by arnieg

Well try employing more British riders then, and this problem becomes less and less. The glory days of speedway was when the sport here was dominated by UK and Australasians, rather than Danes, Swedes and Poles. Why anyone is surprised that a Polish rider misses UK meetings for a Polish practice session is beyond me, 80% of his earnings are from his Polish team. Christ, I would do the same if 80% of my earnings were at risk.

• Like 5

It could just be that the rider concerned is on a retainer. Once sacked, it may be saving the club money and equally, costing the rider. Obviously this would be dependent on the terms of the contract involved which it is very unlikely will be disclosed.

Why? Why shouldn't they sack a rider?

The issue is not the sacking of the rider, but to do it with only one match to go. was the point I was trying to make.

Its not that long ago when Mads was their saviour and top scoring most matches.....I'm thought sacking was the last option not the first...

The issue is not the sacking of the rider, but to do it with only one match to go. was the point I was trying to make.

Its not that long ago when Mads was their saviour and top scoring most matches.....I'm thought sacking was the last option not the first...

So Leciester should have sacked him 6 weeks ago knowing he was going to miss a meeting? If someone does something wrong and its deemed a sackable offence then it's a sackable offence and should happen whenever.

Mads has at no point been there top scoring in most matches.

Hardly top scored most matches.Top scored 7 times, 5 of which came before end of April. Since end of April has scored 117 points in 19 matches & managed to lose over 0.50 from his starting average.

The point I was originally making was that Leicester should not be allowed a facility tonight as they sacked a rider knowing they could not replace him, hence what's the point in sacking him! It would seem to me to be a case of cutting of your nose to spite your face.

It's different if a rider withholds his services, as then he gets banned and his club would then get a facility. Therefore the club would be better off keeping him in their team whilst he is banned. So why did Leicester not go down that route? Not as dramatic as it? Not making a big enough statement is it? No, we'll sack him and show him who's boss! - What's the point.

• Like 1