British Speedway Forum
Skodaman

Leicester Lions 2015

I would have like to 'like' TMW's post but what we're liking comes across as a bit murky. Weatherwatcher thankfully got all the important bits out (or in).. True, a great honour from the fans to Dennis. What it says about an owner who has stood off all season waiting for those fans to fully line the pockets before doing the 'honour' i wouldn't like to think. A gesture that probably encapsulates all the very good and the very bad in Leicester Speedway.

As far as I know the stands are available to Sponsor for a season but Dennis' Stand will be a permanent fixture. On a positive note people have been able to show their gratitude to Dennis for all the hard work he has put in over the years, one of the unsung heroes, trying to get Speedway back to Leicester. Can we not focus on the positives?

As far as I know the stands are available to Sponsor for a season but Dennis' Stand will be a permanent fixture. On a positive note people have been able to show their gratitude to Dennis for all the hard work he has put in over the years, one of the unsung heroes, trying to get Speedway back to Leicester. Can we not focus on the positives?

Presumably this means that Mr Hemsley will be continuing then?!

Presumably this means that Mr Hemsley will be continuing then?!

As permanent as can be at any speedway venue these days

I cannot get my head around the fact of why money had to be raised to name a stand after someone who has done so much for the club and its return.

Could of named the back straight stand after him.

Edited by robert72
  • Like 2

I cannot get my head around the fact of why money had to be raised to name a stand after someone who has done so much for the club and its return.

Could of named the back straight stand after him.

Tbh I'm not sure why people are getting so hot under the collar. You had a choice to donate or not. Please don't use Dennis as ammunition. The money has been raised and Dennis will get his stand. I put Iit on here just to advise any donors of progresd who don't have FB.

End of chat

Edited by TMW
  • Like 1

I for one will be proud for a stand to be named after Dennis. He did so much to get speedway back on the map at Leicester. The only downside of this is that it won't be the stand I sit in but the other one.. Maybe one day I can have a plaque too. But on the other side of that all I have done is come to the meetings. Don't put Dennis or the hard work that has gone on behind the scenes by the supporters club and all the work that I know that TMW has done towards it Was hoping to meet up with her at the Poole meeting but she was to busy collecting donations for Dennis's stand, plus other menial tasks.

It is people like these that keep BP running on a match day. Keep up the good work.I just wished I didn't live so far away and could help out, but life sometimes deals out things that are not what we expect, I find it very hard to even get to meetings, love speedway and so does the grandson, but there are days when I never feel well enough to even drag myself to see the Lions.

All the unsung hero who work so hard behind the scenes need a big round of aplause.

I for one will be proud for a stand to be named after Dennis. He did so much to get speedway back on the map at Leicester. The only downside of this is that it won't be the stand I sit in but the other one.. Maybe one day I can have a plaque too. But on the other side of that all I have done is come to the meetings. Don't put Dennis or the hard work that has gone on behind the scenes by the supporters club and all the work that I know that TMW has done towards it Was hoping to meet up with her at the Poole meeting but she was to busy collecting donations for Dennis's stand, plus other menial tasks.

It is people like these that keep BP running on a match day. Keep up the good work.I just wished I didn't live so far away and could help out, but life sometimes deals out things that are not what we expect, I find it very hard to even get to meetings, love speedway and so does the grandson, but there are days when I never feel well enough to even drag myself to see the Lions.

All the unsung hero who work so hard behind the scenes need a big round of aplause.

Thanks for the kind words but apart from the adhoc things and texting heat results to proboards as Topspin(keeping people like your goodself who can't get informed) I don't do that much. Hope to meet up one day though.

All I can say is. I am glad that the meeting that the Lions should have riden in on Sky TV wast changed, because the meeting that went ahead at Coventry, was a nail in the coffin for British speedway. The Coventry riders said they would not ride due to the track conditions and fair play to them it was terrible to watch. I have seen more fans at our practice day than they had last night.

Then it gets even worse, this morning to find that Coventry management and riders have been fined for refusing to risk their own saftey. We have lost to many riders this year through injury. So why try to send riders out in a meeting, that should never even have stated in the first place.

The Lions where the winners with this one.

All I can say is. I am glad that the meeting that the Lions should have riden in on Sky TV wast changed, because the meeting that went ahead at Coventry, was a nail in the coffin for British speedway. The Coventry riders said they would not ride due to the track conditions and fair play to them it was terrible to watch. I have seen more fans at our practice day than they had last night.

Then it gets even worse, this morning to find that Coventry management and riders have been fined for refusing to risk their own saftey. We have lost to many riders this year through injury. So why try to send riders out in a meeting, that should never even have stated in the first place.

Great post 👍🏻

The sport is already dangerous enough. It's okay for those not on bikes to send riders out but it's the riders who would be the ones to suffer if they had a terrible crash.

Riders safety is more important than points.

Whilst I agree with the point re the Lions doing well in avoiding a meeting live on Sky and suffering the consequences rain which brought about poor crowd and a controversial end to the meeting. I feel less comfortable about supporting the actions of the Coventry riders and anybody else who chooses to use the emotive “safety of rider’s” trump card, simply because the Coventry team did not want to complete heats 9 & 10 because they knew they were going to lose and wanted the meeting abandoned.

It was a bad advert for speedway, not because of the rain but because of the actions of the Coventry team and fine is justified because like it or not the officials must have the final say and after consultation, where riders choose to go against a decision they have to deal with the consequences

• Like 1

Except that had it been Bees v Lions, the Bees would probably have been in the lead and the meeting would have run smoothly until heat 10 or beyond!!!

Norrie Allan would have been jumping up and down in the pits, yelling at riders and officials and trying to get the meeting called off by heat 6, whilst the calm, serene and smirking Havvy would be in the background ensuring that his riders remained focussed and went out to tapes well within the 2 minutes!!

Edited by Skidder1

At least in that senario above, something would have been done about calling the meeting off after 5 or 6 races. Which in all truth, was the case. Should never have been started in the first place, when they knew what the weather was doing. It would have made more sense to re stage it and give the 150 or so fans that came along in terrible conditions the chance to see a proper meeting.

Great post

The sport is already dangerous enough. It's okay for those not on bikes to send riders out but it's the riders who would be the ones to suffer if they had a terrible crash.

Riders safety is more important than points.

Not to the team managers who care only about getting the points. They may bleat about rider safety it time and again has proven that once racing gets underway the aim is to get to heat 10 minimum to get the results.

Havvy has proven his actions last night are those of a hypocrite. He clearly has forgotten matches they have happily got to heat 10 in dangerous conditions because they were in front. No sympathy.

At least in that senario above, something would have been done about calling the meeting off after 5 or 6 races. Which in all truth, was the case. Should never have been started in the first place, when they knew what the weather was doing. It would have made more sense to re stage it and give the 150 or so fans that came along in terrible conditions the chance to see a proper meeting.

Sky would rather put riders safety at risk than call it off. We have seen EL & SGP meeting called off for less than the conditions last night

Sky would rather put riders safety at risk than call it off. We have seen EL & SGP meeting called off for less than the conditions last night

The major crashes I have seen which have led to serious injury have occured on dry/normal tracks where speed is far greater than when wet tracks are an issue. In these wet conditions the riders ride slower and more careful, yes the racing is less exciting and yes some fall off and many slide down slowly and dont even get to the fence. yes safety is always an issue, but in this case it was used as an excuse in the hope that the meeting gets called off.