British Speedway Forum
mudflaps

Peterborough Panthers 2015

Didnt Mick Horton get a two year deal to promote in the PL , if hes looking to walk away then please let it be Rick who comes back to promote at Peterboro

Make no mistake the future of Peterborough Speedway is on a knife edge more so than at any time. Their participation next season depends on a return of RF in some shape or form.

• Like 1

Make no mistake the future of Peterborough Speedway is on a knife edge more so than at any time. Their participation next season depends on a return of RF in some shape or form.

We've not been told we're not running yet but we have been twice before in the last few years so this is not knife edge proportions, yet. Unless someone has something more concrete than rumours, guesswork and assumptions to offer that is!

Trev

I have started to draft a fictional script of a potential conversation between The "BSPA" and "Rick/Julie" - as we get in to the close season (and after it has been refined), depending which way the wind is blowing, I might post it on here!! :-)

Tel

You want to get in touch with the patbutcher film company Tel, they'll produce a funny film for you. I'm afraid that I've no idea who they are, wish I did, so can't help with a contact.

Edited by Crump99

We've not been told we're not running yet but we have been twice before in the last few years so this is not knife edge proportions, yet. Unless someone has something more concrete than rumours, guesswork and assumptions to offer that is!

You want to get in touch with the patbutcher film company Tel, they'll produce a funny film for you. I'm afraid that I've no idea who they are, wish I did, so can't help with a contact.

The Panthers future is more serious than you assume. If this is wrong suggest Nell Watson comes out of hibernation and gives us an update.

The Panthers future is more serious than you assume. If this is wrong suggest Nell Watson comes out of hibernation and gives us an update.

If Horton is on his bike then Neil will be on the crossbar so I don't think you'll get any joy on that front. Panthers future has been in serious doubt since Mr Mercer & Crew (that's not the AWOL start girls btw) rolled up at the EoES all those years ago, and given the seemingly increasing difficulties of running at the EoES it a surprise that we're still running at all tbh, through MH, CH, RF & somehow back to MH again. What will be will be!

Edited by Crump99

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that speedway still continues at the EoES in 2015...but like some others, I'm not overly confident :unsure: I really hope I'm proved wrong. Got to try and stay positive.

• Like 1

Fed up of that limbo feeling every close season, would love a promoter who pays the riders, promotes the club, and is a steady eddy, you don't have to flash the cash like fraud, don't penny pinch like Len, just be steady, is that too much to ask?

Fed up of that limbo feeling every close season, would love a promoter who pays the riders, promotes the club, and is a steady eddy, you don't have to flash the cash like fraud, don't penny pinch like Len, just be steady, is that too much to ask?

It is when your business is so influenced by others. In our case our landlords and the great ship BSPA. The only subjects discussed every close season since Mercer arrived (now gone thankfully?) are the difficulties & losses. It's only people like Rick Frost who can buy in to that, otherwise we end up back at your fed up point!

I appreciate what your saying though!

Think he does have an interest in Speedway but became disillusioned by the jokers who run the sport.

similar to additional 400 +regular attendees who attended the EOES couple of years ago!!!

The management of the sport has become a very bad joke!!!

TOWIE

"The Only Way Is Elite"

Dumbing down is seldom the answer and is normally a pre cursor to a continuing decline. That is what has happened and is happening to Panthers.

TOWIE

"The Only Way Is Elite"

Dumbing down is seldom the answer and is normally a pre cursor to a continuing decline. That is what has happened and is happening to Panthers.

Surely!! that is exactly what the BSPA has done to the Elite League :drink:

Tel

• Like 1

Surely!! that is exactly what the BSPA has done to the Elite League :drink:

Tel

Exactly

Seen a few posts on here wanting Poole, Bates and Proctor in the 2015 Panthers, all 3 riders have stated they only want to be in Sheffield colours next season

Speedway: The future of speedway in Peterborough is in serious doubt again.

Current Panthers supremo Mick Horton has told the Peterborough Telegraph he will not return for the 2015 season.

City businessman Horton has decided to pull out of a two-year leasehold agreement with club owners Rick Frost and Julie Mahoney after just one season of Premier League racing.

Horton has told the Peterborough Telegraph that losses spiralling to as much as £60,000 have forced his hand with crowds falling some way short of the levels anticipated.

And he says a Premier League Cup final first leg showdown against treble-cashing Edinburgh at the East of England Showground on Sunday (2pm) may be the final chapter in a city speedway story stretching back to 1970.

There are two massive reasons for people to turn out in force on Sunday, said Horton.

There is the chance to see us race in a cup final in what could potentially be the clubs last-ever meeting at the Showground.

And that is not just me scaremongering. It is 100 per cent certain that I will not be in charge next year through circumstance rather than choice.

Our operating losses this year are somewhere in the region of £60,000. I didnt come back into Peterborough to make money and I could have lived with spending a bit, but not this sort of money.

I was let down by potential investors before the season even started and the move to a regular Tuesday race-night did not work out at all.

The fans have not turned out in the way I hoped they would. We needed our crowds to average around the 800-mark, but they have been closer to 500.

The product is great. The racing has been terrific but the club needs the backing of sponsors and supporters.

Im not making excuses and I dont want people to feel sorry for me. But the buck stops with me.

All I hope is that someone will step in to keep speedway going.

Horton acknowledges that money is owed to riders for September meetings and stresses every penny will be paid.

He also experienced tough financial times during his last spell at the Panthers helm between 2003 and 2005 at Elite League level.

But he insists he has no regrets about returning for a second stint when the clubs future was up in the air last winter.

He added: I let my heart rule my head when stepping in to keep speedway going in Peterborough.

I dont have any regrets about doing that, but it is no secret Ive become a bit disillusioned with the way things have gone. I did not realise the situation would be this bad.

A lot of people down the years have found out that Peterborough loses money year-on-year.

Hopefully Rick and Julie will get back involved as the club needs them. They can provide the financial support.

Peterborough Panthers co-owner Julie Mahoney hopes the city club can race on.

Panthers future is again up in the air after current supremo Mick Horton announced he is walking away from the club at the end of this season.

Horton has quit halfway through a two-year leasehold agreement struck last winter with Mahoney and fellow owner Rick Frost.

Mahoney and Frost are not in a position to take on hands-on running of the club again, but they are keen for it to survive if buyers can be found.

Mahoney said: Mick has not formally told us that he will not be continuing, but we are aware of the press reports today and he hasnt honoured the terms of the lease that were agreed last winter

The club will definitely be available and myself and Rick will happily to speak to any interested parties. I must admit though it is doubtful we would consider another leasehold arrangement given our experiences this year.

Were not in a position to run the club ourselves as we simply dont have the time due to our business commitments, but it goes without saying we would like it to continue after investing a lot of money and time at Peterborough over the years.

Frost and Mahoney rescued Panthers from the brink of financial oblivion in the summer of 2008.

They remained at the helm until taking the decision to resign the clubs place in the Elite League at the sports annual meeting last November.

Horton stepped in to front a consortium which ensured that racing in the city would continue, but he claims to have been let down by potential investors before suffering financially.

He told todays issue of the Peterborough Telegraph that he has lost around £60,000 during the 2014 campaign - the clubs first at Premier League level since 1998.

It will be completed with an appearance in the Premier League Cup Final over the next few days. They host Edinburgh in the first at the East of England Showground on Sunday (2pm) a meeting Horton has billed as potentially the clubs last-ever at home ahead of a return clash in Scotland next Friday (October 10).

Source Peterborough Telegraph

BBC Cambs Sport tweeted:

Owner Rick Frost says Peterborough Panthers won't compete in the Premier League next year unless he is able to sell the club. #panthers

Edited by Noodles