British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Seymour Dix

New Formula For Next Season ?

I was reading some programms from the early days of the British Leauge, and come across this formula which could be adapted to bring on one ' fast track ' rider as opposed to the current two, and not diluting the strength of the Leauge.

There is one reserve, the No7, and the return of the suplementary reserve ( remember the old * next to the name of the next lowest scorer ) who could be used in the event of an injury to the reserve, safeguards could be put in place to stop clubs rulebending on this issue.

The Top two must ride at either 1 or 5 , and the other 4 members of the top 6 can ride in any order.

ht Home Away

1 1 & 2 1 & 2

2 3 4 3 4

3 5 6 5 6

4 2 7 2 7

5 5 6 3 4

6 3 4 1 2

7 1 2 5 6

8 4 7 4 7

9 5 6 1 2

10 3 4 5 6

11 1 2 3 4

12 6 7 6 7

13 1 5 1 5

14 3 7 3 7

15 top scorers/ nominated race

If a team is 10 or more points down one tactical subtitute ride is allowed - 1 & 5 cannot be used in any race where the no 7 is taking part.

Seems a bit simpler with 3 distinct pairings in each team, and protection for the reserve.

Stands by to be shot down in flames !

I would support the return of this format or one like it that gives teams three pairings and only one reserve, and I would also restrict the number of rides that the reserve take to no more than four (the same number as the top 6). The current system of allowing one rider to take 7 rides in a 15 heat match is a nonsense and allows one rider to have an often unfair impact on the outcome of meetings.

I would also scrap the nominated riders heat which encourages clubs to put together top-heavy teams and effectively gives such team a "free" 5-1.

An essential requirement in speedway is to have teams that are equally balanced so that meetings are competitive. The loopholes in the points system are too often exploited and prevent this from being reality so I believe that an alternative grading system should be implemented. The principle of the points limit is good, but in practice, it has been shown to be flawed.