British Speedway Forum
Islander15

Eastbourne 2015

opps me and my big old stirring spoon.I did wonder if i would get a bite. I couldn't careless who Eastbourne sign, that is up to them.

You cant bring on any talent young or old with R/R xxxxx as it means an extra ride for 4 of the riders who are already struggling, chin up Pete cradley have been left behind this season but looks like Eastbourne are not going to give up a chance of being in the top 4. and if Ben ups his average :t: maybe another possible change in the team to come? and Pete come on look Danny Warwick hurt (replaced) for now, Mason out (replaced before his cast had even set), Mistake by the management turn out to be a diamond in Richard Andrews.

Ben Hopwood is 24. This coming from a Cradley fan whose side had Paul Starke (24 when rode for Cradley), Lewis Blackbird (26 when riding for Cradley), Gareth Isherwood (25), Arron Mogridge (24), Jamie Courtney (25), Byron Bekker (25), Adam Roynon (24), James White Williams (27) and Jon Armstrong (37) in recent years. Just I don't see what point your trying to raise no.

There are plenty of riders that will never progress any further than the NL but it doesn't mean they don't serve a role. There is an obsession at the moment with young riders, discovering not developing.

Whilst the occasional gem may be discovered many more are being thrown in to league racing too early and struggling either physically, financially, logistically or with just sheer inexperience. These risk becoming downhearted and lost to the sport all together rather than taking extra time to develop.

What a breath of fresh air this management is!

Making a quick signing because the averages change tomorrow?

Brilliant move and I believe does not weaken the team at all.

Very pleased.

Then they should set an age limit.

Leagues are also there to be won and imo, a team should be put together to win within the rules.

Speedway is also a business and Eastbourne need success.

Kent seem to be getting a good turn out for a struggling team but I am not sure Eastbourne could.

Warwick and Mason were both over 30 so must no longer exist... But they have both crashed out now... :sad:

Yes that's why I said used to be.

Warwick and Mason were both over 30 so must no longer exist... But they have both crashed out now... :sad:

Yes that's why I said used to be.

opps me and my big old stirring spoon.I did wonder if i would get a bite. I couldn't careless who Eastbourne sign, that is up to them.

I didnt take your comments as stirring at all and my response was just a part of a forum discussion, same as the others that responded to your post.

Shame if you were just stirring, I had wrongly thought your comments were a genuine concern about youngsters.

• Like 3

Ben Hopwood is 24. This coming from a Cradley fan whose side had Paul Starke (24 when rode for Cradley), Lewis Blackbird (26 when riding for Cradley), Gareth Isherwood (25), Arron Mogridge (24), Jamie Courtney (25), Byron Bekker (25), Adam Roynon (24), James White Williams (27) and Jon Armstrong (37) in recent years. Just I don't see what point your trying to raise no.

Should age be a barrier. In the old days (the REAL speedway era) Tom Oakley started ar 38 and Harold McNaughton at 37 - and both went on to ride for England at Division Two level.

Also Wal Morton and Geoff Pymar were still relatively big scorers when in their 50s - that was in the early 1960s. Too much is devoted to youngsters and not racing experience and know-how these days IMO.

Edited by Guest

Just got on here i was shocked and excited that the eagles have moved so quickly as has been said for years on years we would stick with RR all season maybe thats why we not won the league in ages. Think hopwood in makes us slightly stronger he has always sruggled when iv seen him at eastbourne though but think he be much better away.

For those of us who are speedway fans of various clubs we would all like our club to find the next great young thing.We all know that is not always possible & the need to fill out our teams with some who never going to be world beaters is just the way it is.Giving youth a chance is being done at all clubs & having a full team of 7 riders is always better than R/R anyday. :wink:

• Like 1

Certainly there are some young prospects in Eastbourne Colours this year. Bradley Wilson-Dean clearly is at least Premier League bound and Gergie Wood has exceeded expectation. Kelsey will surely have a great future as well.

• Like 1

As for Mildenhall Sunday Ben's scores look like they fluctuate but if he can put in a strong 8 points we could be on to another away win with Brad at 1 this time as well?

Number 5. Ben Hopwood - 3, 2, 2, 1, 0 = 8 Mildenhall V Stoke 2014

Number 3. Ben Hopwood - 1, 1, 0, 1 = 3 Mildenhall V Stoke 2014

Number 3. Ben Hopwood 3, 2, 1, 2, 1* = 9+1 Mildenhall V Stoke 2014

Number 5. Ben Hopwood 2, 2, 3, 0, 2' = 9+1 Mildenhall V IOW 2013

Number 3. Ben Hopwood (Captain) - 1 , 3 , 1 , 3 = 8 Mildenhall V IOW 2013

Number 4. Ben Hopwood 0, 2, 3, 1, 3, 0 = 9 Mildenhall V IOW 2013

Number 2. Ben Hopwood 2, 1, 1, X = 4 Mildenhall V IOW 2013

Certainly there are some young prospects in Eastbourne Colours this year. Bradley Wilson-Dean clearly is at least Premier League bound and Gergie Wood has exceeded expectation. Kelsey will surely have a great future as well.

No arguments there but in reality only Kelsey is home grown. The others had plenty of known ability before they were tracked. Unless a club runs training schools / practice days and then gives riders a chance when they are ready its hard to claim any club discovered them.

Ryan Kinsley & Kelsey are probably the only home grown rider I can think of that's stepped in this year.

For 2016 i can see Charlie Powell, Tom Brennan and in 2017 Nathan Ablitt, Jason Edwards, when we had the Fans meeting at the Start of the year it was going to be a five year plan and it looks that way. First year seems to be a good one so far they just need to keep it up. I think there is a lot more thats going on in the background at the Club, I am pleased to say that lots of things that i have seen has been attacked by the new management which i am so pleased about, Just need to pick up a couple of away wins and then we be up on table again.

roll on to Mildenhall this weekend stuff the GP i am going to Mildenhall

For 2016 i can see Charlie Powell, Tom Brennan and in 2017 Nathan Ablitt, Jason Edwards, when we had the Fans meeting at the Start of the year it was going to be a five year plan and it looks that way. First year seems to be a good one so far they just need to keep it up. I think there is a lot more thats going on in the background at the Club, I am pleased to say that lots of things that i have seen has been attacked by the new management which i am so pleased about, Just need to pick up a couple of away wins and then we be up on table again.

roll on to Mildenhall this weekend stuff the GP i am going to Mildenhall

Yes, Tom Brennan certainly looks class. I cant wait to see him lining up at the tapes alongside Kelsey.

Yep, I will be at Mildenhall as well. Have not missed a match home or away this season (apart from the fours).

How old do you have to be to ride in the NL? As if it's 16 then Tom won't be able to join after July 2 2017 as he is 14 tomorrow. He is a very talented rider and think he will go far the way he races round Arlington is a joy to see. Nathan and Jason will also be great additions too.

Will tom join the eagles mid season, hes not yet been on a 500 i dont think anyway so i think we should wait till 2017 before we track him. Charley powell next season on a 3.00 will prove another secret weapon i think. Future is definately looking bright for the eagles.

your right tom has not been on a 500cc yet, I think he has a big meeting coming up soon on his 250cc with the British Championship then i think he has put his name forward to go to France for the 250cc championship, i am sure after that he will be on a 500 maybe before? Put a small seat on BWDs bike or use Masons as they must be low enough.