British Speedway Forum

Not really sure about the pressure as surely the riders are riding for themselves first and foremost to pay the bills.

I'm sure our 2016 thread will be on here before the Weekend is out, Balders must be chomping at the bit to get it started. Looking at the opposition Plymouth have got to face, It's not looking good.

As for our final meeting, obviously just the 16 lapper, most Premier league promoters have struggled to break even this season with proper meetings, so there's no chance of a gimmick meeting attracting a crowd.

I think that the the whole concept has now been lost. Supporters use to watch/follow the sport for the racing not just team meetings which in reality no longer exists. Gate and go merchants with no real control of the machine and the ability to team ride is totally lost on the majority of riders. Whatever happened to a good competitive race. Track time is essential so no meeting is a gimmick and with a little bit of forethought a pairs meeting as previously suggested with a flat £7 or £8 entrance fee and kids for a £1, is a calculated risk but more a case of speculate to accumulate in the hands of the right promotion who know how to sell the meeting. If every meeting other than a league match is a gimmick then the idea of it being an accepted two wheeled professional motor sports is dead. League racing has become a bunch of individuals who are no longer team players/riders and the income calculation is no longer conducive to a team sport.

I can understand that the idea of racing other than for league points will in some people's view be a waste of time but what is it that attracts most punters to watch and in my opinion it is the risk not the team.

Leaving all else aside it is still a good form of entertainment and the riders have my utmost admiration.

38-22 at Scunthorpe after 10 heats! :o

Leigh Latham, every Ipswich supporter owes you tonight. Well done Scunthorpe

Ipswich will be in the Play-Offs unless Plymouth win by more than 6 at Rye House tomorrow night

Can see it now...

Devils need a 5-1 in 15 and Kennett is cruising to another win when BANG off the last bend his engine blows and Morten sails through to take the Devils into the play offs.... :o

The Devils have been on fire, but get well beaten by what looks on paper to be a not overly strong team.

How else do you explain that?

The Devils have been on fire, but get well beaten by what looks on paper to be a not overly strong team.

How else do you explain that?

Scunny has often been a place where get things right and the home team can string together multiple 5-1s

I'm sure you are right but I think that pressure has a part to play in all professional sport in some form.

Professional sport? A sport that has rules to keep the scores close is nothing but entertainment.

Edited by baldyman
  • Like 1

On that basis speedway has never been a professional sport in my lifetime (first meeting at Foxhall in 1969). Prior to the T/R ride, it was possible to replace a reserve or lesser rider with a Tactical Substitute on multiple occasions which must have been an effort to keep the score close.

Woo hoo we live to fight another day

Woo hoo we live to fight another day

Just another 24 hours of false hope..... ;)

Have they decided when and where the Fours is going to be yet? ;)

Just another 24 hours of false hope..... ;)

Bruv i think its in the bag for the witches i think the devils will narrowly win at rye but not by the required margin sadly!

Rye look worse than utter horse poo at the moment so for me it's a toss of a coin as to whether Plymouth can get the full 4 points.

From an Ipswich perspective, I hope Plymouth have some rotten luck this evening with a few tape exclusions and mechanical gremlins.

No offence..

Rye look worse than utter horse poo at the moment so for me it's a toss of a coin as to whether Plymouth can get the full 4 points.

From an Ipswich perspective, I hope Plymouth have some rotten luck this evening with a few tape exclusions and mechanical gremlins.

No offence..

Thanks !:-) Edited by lewy
  • Like 1