British Speedway Forum

It's only shaped like Cardiff, it will obviously be a different surface and will be permanent track too so more manageable.

http://www.swindonlinksport.com/2015/03/20/new-abbey-to-be-based-on-gp-track/

Interesting stuff about the viewing gallery and outside seating.

Is that not what i said? shaped like Cardiff?...that is bad enough on it's own and the only time Cardiff produces any 'entertainment' is when the ruts appear.

You can put down whatever surface you want but if the track shape isn't right the racing will be gate and go whatever and even more so if it is smooth and slick and lets face it to produce safe 'racing' that is the only way to produce a Cardiff shape..Somerset is the way to go not huge but designed like a fast track but as Orion as alluded it's all about kissing Clarke Osbournes backside so whatever he says goes regrettably

• Like 1

Swindon rider update? Former Swindon Robin Simon Gustafsson is retiring from the sport

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/11870403.The_fire_has_gone_out_for_Gustafsson_as_he_calls_time_on_Speedway_career/?ref=fbshr

He had too big a pair of boots to fill but on his day he wasn't a bad rider - as he showed last season when Rosco gave him a wake-up call. Hope it's only temporary and he comes back with new enthusiasm.

More information on the new stadium, just hope the adver has got it wrong about the spectator number of 2500 wrong.

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/11871105.New___5m_home_on_cards_for_Swindon_Robins_Speedway_team/

ER if you look carefully at the plan it shows a mark behind the back straight stand, this is for the back straight bog from the present stadium.

Edited by A ORLOV

More information on the new stadium, just hope the adver has got it wrong about the spectator number of 2500 wrong.

How so?

If you look at the high res plan, I can count about 500 parking spaces. Clearly they are not expecting large crowds.

Edited by MattK

How so?

If you look at the high res plan, I can count about 500 parking spaces. Clearly they are no expecting large crowds.

Should be one of the questions to Rosco next tues evening.

Great news for the sport and the Robins, will be gutted to see the old track go holds alot of great memories for me.I am worried about the shape of the new track,i was led to believe it was going to shaped along the lines of a Somerset?.We shall see i first started going just before Rosco was the mascot, and this move must be a wrench for him personally.So if he can get his head around it,and except that we have to move with the times the rest of us should be able to.

Edited by sidney

Is that not what i said? shaped like Cardiff?...that is bad enough on it's own and the only time Cardiff produces any 'entertainment' is when the ruts appear.

You can put down whatever surface you want but if the track shape isn't right the racing will be gate and go whatever and even more so if it is smooth and slick and lets face it to produce safe 'racing' that is the only way to produce a Cardiff shape..Somerset is the way to go not huge but designed like a fast track but as Orion as alluded it's all about kissing Clarke Osbournes backside so whatever he says goes regrettably

Right ok, so how big is this track going to be ? just because its shaped like cardiff, doesn't mean to say it will be Cardiff's size.275 mtrs. And yes your right about Somerset 300 mtrs whether it was fault or design. But if your that much against it, you either lodge a protest or you don't go, simple really, but to be honest, i think you'l be in a minority.

Edited by Starman2006

2,500? You won't be attracting major speedway events if that's the case.

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/11871105.New___5m_home_on_cards_for_Swindon_Robins_Speedway_team/

ER if you look carefully at the plan it shows a mark behind the back straight stand, this is for the back straight bog from the present stadium.

The Adver gets a lot of things wrong but 2500 wont be big enough for Grand Finals/Prix and bigger events. Wont be able to fit everyone in for the first meeting

Hopefully the back-straight bogs will be moved lock-stock-barrel to the new stadium, or could be a retro bog-block built with 1960s features such as Izal bog roll, wooden seats/doors, and toilet chains.

Great news about the new stadium and hopefully the missing fans will return or new ones will turn up.

Is that the best they could do? There are plenty of big name companies in town and they couldn't get interest from any of them?

Even Terry Russell hardly sounds enthused by it, does he. I'm sure Mr Sykes will feel thrilled when he reads the article!

Was chatting to Mike at his Cheney Manor base a couple of weeks ago, has put in a lot of money, very committed Robins fan for many years. Trouble is I have red and purple scarf that is out-of-date now Excalibur have gone!

Edited by Ronnie Conkerman

2,500? You won't be attracting major speedway events if that's the case.

Why ? even a play off final won't get that sort of crowd these days

Swindon rider update? Former Swindon Robin Simon Gustafsson is retiring from the sport

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/11870403.The_fire_has_gone_out_for_Gustafsson_as_he_calls_time_on_Speedway_career/?ref=fbshr

At least the Adver has done the decent thing and given due credit for the story to the Speedway Star!!!

Why ? even a play off final won't get that sort of crowd these days

It will against Poole on a decent evening in September rather than end October!! :wink:

• Like 1

At least the Adver has done the decent thing and given due credit for the story to the Speedway Star!!!

It will against Poole on a decent evening in September rather than end October!! :wink:

It doesn't matter what clubs are in the final, the likelyhood being you will be fighting against the weather in October. So when the powers that be learn, you might just get the final at the end of september, then you might just get it in without the weather intrerviening

• Like 1

That's a relief! Swindon does have a pretty decent record for preserving their heritage. The old railway works at Rodbourne and the museum in Faringdon Road to name a few.