British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
markyb

Poole Speedway 2014 Elite League Champions !

So what was the point of fast track reserves? To give the likes of Kerr and Garrity a chance or to give some old timers like Newman and Smart a lifeline? Was there also not an intention to see Team GB benefit from the development of young talent?

How will British Speedway benefit from Newman being redefined as young upcoming and a potential Team GB rider? Does anyone actually think that he will represent Team GB at the SWC?

• Like 1

So what was the point of fast track reserves? To give the likes of Kerr and Garrity a chance or to give some old timers like Newman and Smart a lifeline? Was there also not an intention to see Team GB benefit from the development of young talent?

How will British Speedway benefit from Newman being redefined as young upcoming and a potential Team GB rider? Does anyone actually think that he will represent Team GB at the SWC?

Old timer? At 22? If 22 is "old" what does that make me?!!
  • Like 1

Woffinden had become World Champion at 22.

I can understand uk martin's concern... FTRs should be still eligible to ride in the under 21 competitions or ridden competitive speedway for less than 3 years. This allows ex- moto x riders etc. to cross over to speedway - and U21s who have made a commitment to speedway - to gain an opportunity to become a FTR. No FTR riding in all three leagues and if riding in the PL - only if they are a reserve (at the start of the season). Anyone riding in the 1-5 of a PL team should not be a FTR because they are already developing as a rider and - if good enough - will naturally progress to the EL. One British rider in each EL 1-5 would enable this to happen.

I thought the biggest stretch of the imagination required re FTR was the inclusion of Lee Smart and Benji Compton. I remember watching Benji Compton riding in 2005 - 9 years ago...

• Like 3

Probably just as old as the vast majority of other British speedway fans lol.

As the British speedway empire dwindles so it has less and less resources, so those resources should be spent wisely. We need to find and nurture more Robert Lamberts NOT pour good money after bad financing riders who won't ever make it at "full" EL level let alone the world stage.

Compare our junior plight with Poland. Bartosz Zmarzlik one week wins an SGP and then 2-3 weeks later struggles to finish 3rd on the same track in the Polish u21 Championships. Their u21 future is bright whilst British speedway tries turning older riders who still haven't been able to cut the mustard after 6-7 years of trying into a bright future.

I would suggest that the age that the Poles, Danes and Swedes start they are no more or less talented than our guys. The difference is the training set up and stadium availability so therefore track time.

• Like 2

MANSE, on 17 Oct 2014 - 11:17 PM, said:

2013 PREMIER AVERAGES Lewis Kerr 6.09 Jason Garrity 5.45 Kyle Newman 5.32 I would assume these figures are the reason UK MARTIN

I can see the point you are making I think ... The three teams who were left to contest the semi / final all had the best reserves .On occasions even top scoring for their clubs ..Perhaps if Swindon or had got one of those three they would be riding tomorrow .. It does seem that the F.T.R have made a massive bearing on the teams in the final doesn't it . Has it worked ? Yes for Poole & Bees !!

• Like 1

Don't forget that Lakeside and Poole were guaranteed their own first choices so irrespective of how well qualified Newman was as a FTR, Poole were guaranteed to land his signature despite being champions (and therefore ordinarily only entitled to last pick)

Don't forget that Lakeside and Poole were guaranteed their own first choices so irrespective of how well qualified Newman was as a FTR, Poole were guaranteed to land his signature despite being champions (and therefore ordinarily only entitled to last pick)

Kyle Newman, Adam Ellis, Lewis Kerr and I think it was Ashley Morris were guaranteed FTR places with their respective teams because they were already club assets............Newman has been a Poole asset since the Bournemouth Buccaneers days.............

FTR seems to have worked for some but not for others...........may be is should have been trialled with one FTR only.........just to see how it went but made sure that the other reserve was a British rider who could have a variable average.............

RP

2013 PREMIER AVERAGES Lewis Kerr 6.09 Jason Garrity 5.45 Kyle Newman 5.32 I would assume these figures are the reason UK MARTIN

Kerr 7.54 Worrall 7.54 Garrity 6.75 Newman 6.51

The point that the public are lead to believe is that it is to help develop British riders who are struggling to find enough track time to progress their career. Of course we all know that in reality it's to save money. However, I don't think Kyle Newman would of progressed as quickly as he has without the FTR system and therefore I think it's been partially a success.

Kyle Newman an old timer at 22 years old? 22 years later and Greg Hancock isn't doing too bad.

I believe the FTR system would work better with 1 reserve berth each season. There is not enough talent available to fill 2 spots.

• Like 1

Kyle Newman, Adam Ellis, Lewis Kerr and I think it was Ashley Morris were guaranteed FTR places with their respective teams because they were already club assets.

So, find a promping junior, wave a contract under his nose and you never need to worry about getting last pick in the draft again?

So, find a promping junior, wave a contract under his nose and you never need to worry about getting last pick in the draft again?

Well that seems to have been Coventry tactic recently. Signed up a few NL riders :D

Which just goes to show the system is working. Would those riders of ever had a contract before?

The draft system isn't going to turn any Tom, Dick or Harry into a GP star, but it might help a handful.

Well that seems to have been Coventry tactic recently. Signed up a few NL riders :D

Obviously fast learners. When everybody does it then there won't be any point having the draft any more.

How many years can these bright young things guaranteed a FTR place in their EL team?

Newman has been an asset since the Bounemouth Buccaneers days..........so I hardly call that waving a contract under his nose.............

RP

• Like 1