British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dtc

German Gp???

I could be making this up but wasnt there suposed to be a german GP at one point?

I have just looked in this weeks speedway star and there is nothing about it.

can anyone tell me what happened to it?

Thanks Dave

Edited by dtc

Put simply there is not going to be a German GP, not this year anyway. There was quite a change round on dates and venues from that originally mooted.

Suspect no stadium in Germany could come up with the money and guarantees required by BSI

There was no Club to host a GP, GP was to expensive for a German Club.

I hope next year will be a German Speedway Grand Prix

That`s right Gredon,i thimk they nearly choked on their wurst when told how much money BSI wanted :o It`s a matter of finding a major sponsor to back the GP.I think there was also a bit of regional politics at play as the major backer is the ADAC(the german equivalent of the RAC) who are based in the south but the main fan base for speedway is in the north,Mecklenburg-Vorpommern(Güstrow,Teterow,Stralsund,Parchim,Ludwigslust) and is quite a poor area.Unemployment there is curently 21% compared to 10% in neighbouring Schleswig-Holstein,Niedersachsen or Hamburg :angry:

Put simply there is not going to be a German GP, not this year anyway. There was quite a change round on dates and venues from that originally mooted.

Suspect no stadium in Germany could come up with the money and guarantees required by BSI

Correct no mug came forward.