British Speedway Forum
magnus

Bspa Meeting...

Illegal is it? You just issue different kinds of riding licenses. An "A Class license" if they are in the EL and a "B Class license" if they are in the PL. Maybe even a "C Class license" if they are NL. Just like a motor racing driver needs a "Super License" to drive in Formula 1. Then you set the eligibility criteria for obtaining the licenses to suit the policy of the issuing authority and allow it to entirely at their discretion to refuse a license. A rider can't complain if he then can't compete at the top level again if he himself decides that he is no longer good enough for an "A Class license" and swaps it for a "B Class license".

I think that there should be a "trap door" from EL to PL. Once that a rider is full time EL and decides to drop down to the PL it should be in the knowledge that there's no way back to the EL or the EL wage demands. That'll make them think. There used to be such a trap door when Rugby Union never allowed anyone back to the game if they went to Rugby League or American Football. Didn't stop anyone from doing it if they wanted to but they were sure of the consequences of their decision. Worst thing they ever did, scrapping that rule, but that's another issue. Give a rider on the upward slope of his learning curve a couple of years doubling up if he must. After that it should be the only time that they can choose to stay on in the PL. After that it's decision time. If they go EL it's for keeps. Another drop to the PL after a full time spell in the EL will be for good. Let the uncommitted make way for those with more determination to get on.

To what purpose?

I would rather have riders committed to Britain and if that means allowing doubling-up/down, then I don't see a problem with this.

• Like 1

Illegal is it? You just issue different kinds of riding licenses. An "A Class license" if they are in the EL and a "B Class license" if they are in the PL. Maybe even a "C Class license" if they are NL. Just like a motor racing driver needs a "Super License" to drive in Formula 1.

Obviously it's fine to require certain professional standards to race at higher levels, but there's nothing to stop an F1 driver competing at lower levels with a Super Licence. Why would you want to?

To what purpose?

I would rather have riders committed to Britain and if that means allowing doubling-up/down, then I don't see a problem with this.

Craig Cook and Ben Barker, amongst others, have taken the safe and comfortable route by dumbing down between EL and PL for years, instead of grasping the nettle, committing themselves to the EL and bettering themselves in Sweden and Poland. What good's it done? How much further forward has it driven their personal International successes? That's the purpose. To encourage the riders to maximize their potential, and to turn out for Team GB so that Great Britain be competitive on the World Stage.

Of course, if all that matters to you is your weekly league meeting and don't care about the nation's prospects, then you won't care about such things. Maybe the fairy godmother will magically appear and make everything alright?

• Like 1

Craig Cook and Ben Barker, amongst others, have taken the safe and comfortable route by dumbing down between EL and PL for years, instead of grasping the nettle, committing themselves to the EL and bettering themselves in Sweden and Poland. What good's it done? How much further forward has it driven their personal International successes? That's the purpose. To encourage the riders to maximize their potential, and to turn out for Team GB so that Great Britain be competitive on the World Stage.

Of course, if all that matters to you is your weekly league meeting and don't care about the nation's prospects, then you won't care about such things. Maybe the fairy godmother will magically appear and make everything alright?

But speedway is their job. They have decided that they'd prefer a steady income to chasing international success. Same with the likes of Watt and Schlein who are clearly past their best and how simply want to provide for their families. Seems reasonable to me.

• Like 1

no point in having an A.G.M. . cos certain promoters cant work out the RULE thing..

Can anyone confirm the priority of D/U rider where both the EL and PL club race on the same day, as now that the fixtures are published there seem to be quite a few clashes of meetings.

Can anyone confirm the priority of D/U rider where both the EL and PL club race on the same day, as now that the fixtures are published there seem to be quite a few clashes of meetings.

It varies depending on a range of factors, I believe Redcar have priority over Coventry for Stuart Robson because they declared their 1-7 first. Three different riders could all have three different conditions on them.

It varies depending on a range of factors, I believe Redcar have priority over Coventry for Stuart Robson because they declared their 1-7 first. Three different riders could all have three different conditions on them.

Yet it was said previously that the league a rider parent club is in gets priority so Coventry get priority over Robbo as he's owned by Lakeside. To be honest, I'd hope that Coventry and Lakeside would do good by each other if they had to and swap assets, Robbo for Kennett with a "swap back clause" for the end of the season.

Yet it was said previously that the league a rider parent club is in gets priority so Coventry get priority over Robbo as he's owned by Lakeside. To be honest, I'd hope that Coventry and Lakeside would do good by each other if they had to and swap assets, Robbo for Kennett with a "swap back clause" for the end of the season.

I think it would be logical if the senior of the involved leagues, took priority and everyone would know exactly what they were doing.... .. .Fat chance!

• Like 1

This is the rule from last season:

16.1.1.1 In the case of a Doubling-Up Rider the priority is:
1. Original Fixture List
2. The “owning” Club (ie. is on that Team’s Retained List)
3. If there is no “ownership” then the PL Club has priority
16.1.1.2 In the case of a FTDP Rider the priority is as per SR 16.1.1.1 unless there is an agreement between Promoters

All seems to have changed Matt but rules not published yet, someone will have to ask Rosco on thurs night, Jan 29th. at the Supporters Club AGM.

Edited by A ORLOV