British Speedway Forum
ciderman

Cost Cutting - How

A couple of questions...

When a rider commutes to and from Europe to race Britain, who actually pays the travel expenses?

As most Australians, Americans etc arrive on these shores first, then find leeway to start racing in European leagues, does Britain get any recompense for blossoming them?

Run the league fixtures once, over the summer. It's so bloody obvious I can't see why the promotors haven't done it yet. If these meetings cost so much to run, why run them twice? Decrease supply (who wants to see the same team three times?) and increase demand.

• Like 1

yes cos the sport would be much better if the bikes did 120mph

What has that got to do with anything I said?

I assume from you jumpping to the defence of Peter Johns . you have never been on the receiving end of one of his bills . In fact I doubt you have ever even seen one . and what you are suggesting is better promotion etc so larger crowds can indirectly hand over more money to tuners . in any case we are speaking of whats best for speedway and not chosen few who can afford or are sponsored by tuners who then pass the cost on to ordinary mortals . supertuned engines full of expensive titanium parts are a luxury that only a few riders can afford and speedway can't afford them at all ,

I'm not defending Peter Johns at all.

I am pointing out Peter Johns is not to blame for the decline of speedway.

If you think that you're so far out of touch with reality its ridiculous.

What has that got to do with anything I said?

I'm not defending Peter Johns at all.

I am pointing out Peter Johns is not to blame for the decline of speedway.

If you think that you're so far out of touch with reality its ridiculous.

He and his ilk are one of the problems though

It isn't one thing you know it's dozens

Can't resist anymore although this subject has been done to death it is IMO vital to the sport that something is done about engine costs in the long term.I say long term because that is how it has to be tackled what ever is decided and unlike most things in s/way a yearly knee jerk reaction .IMO it needs to start from the bottom NL is the training ground and developement league of the sport so let be used to start the reduction in costs of engines what ever the solution is.

The biggest problem with s/way is that those that make the decisions have vested interests and appear to have no vision for the sport ,the word "can't" is the most over used word when change is considered IMO.I don't have the answers because I don't know all the facts but I do know that you can't please all the people all the time so some where along the line there are going to be unhappy parties .

For what is worth I would give the NL two years( subject to new engine units i e Jawa or GM stock engines or mods to existing units etc) notice that present engines would be outlawed ,this would give time for anyone who has invested recently to get reasonable use out of their purchase .The othe two leagues would have thee years (one extra ) and the GP's five years in total as IMO that race series and it's costs have no direct effect on our domestic leagues.

Sadly nothing new just some personal thoughts but one thing I will say is that I have nothing against engine tuners or the present engine manufacturers .They may well be casualties but they are not doing it out of the goodness of their hearts at the end of the day and like s/way they may need to adapt and change to retain their involvement in the sport .Nothing stays the same for ever s/way may think it can but it is sadly mistaken IMO.

A couple of questions...

When a rider commutes to and from Europe to race Britain, who actually pays the travel expenses?

As most Australians, Americans etc arrive on these shores first, then find leeway to start racing in European leagues, does Britain get any recompense for blossoming them?

yes sometimes they turns their backs on us and go , without trying to make British speedway change to suit THEM . thats the only recompense we get .

AFAIK, it depends on the agreement with the rider and/or their federation.

What recompense does an employer get when his apprentice qualifies and goes off elsewhere? The fact is that he's got cheap labour for 4 years though.

I would agree there should be some sort of pan-European agreement to assist tracks who've nurtured riders, but how far should that go?

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

AFAIK, it depends on the agreement with the rider and/or their federation.

What recompense does an employer get when his apprentice qualifies and goes off elsewhere? The fact is that he's got cheap labour for 4 years though.

I would agree there should be some sort of pan-European agreement to assist tracks who've nurtured riders, but how far should that go?

simple enough if the Raw aussies etc want to come here to learn ,and lets face it they dont have much choice , no speedway in their own countries and no way are the Poles, Swedes Danes etc giving any team places to untried riders . it's only British speedway that Mirrors it's government and gives away jobs to foregners at the expense of it's own people . so the next budding Chris Holder signs a lifltime contract to ride In the UK leagues or doesn't get a team place . and any European club who wishes to use an asset of British speedway Pays a loan fee ,

simple enough if the Raw aussies etc want to come here to learn ,and lets face it they dont have much choice , no speedway in their own countries and no way are the Poles, Swedes Danes etc giving any team places to untried riders . it's only British speedway that Mirrors it's government and gives away jobs to foregners at the expense of it's own people . so the next budding Chris Holder signs a lifltime contract to ride In the UK leagues or doesn't get a team place . and any European club who wishes to use an asset of British speedway Pays a loan fee ,

Actually - there is a certain merit in that. We bring them all (Foreigners) on in Speedway so they should show some loyalty to the Country where they got their experience, learned their Trade if you will.

It would also be good if we stopped rubbish Foreign Riders coming over here at the expense of rubbish British Riders. The rubbish Foreign Riders learn and progress whilst our rubbish British Riders don't get the chance.

WHO is going to pay him for the lifetime of the contract? Scrapping the whole asset anomaly would be a step in the right direction.

• Like 1

WHO is going to pay him for the lifetime of the contract? Scrapping the whole asset anomaly would be a step in the right direction.

they will earn their money riding , they will be contracted to ride in the uk or nowhere , not paid ride or not , If I had my way there would be no problem because there would be no Aussies In British speedway to use us as a training scheme . Oh and once a rider Qualifies for GP he no longer rides in british league , and fee will be payable By BSI for temporary release from his contract , I'm sure the Poles Swedes and Danes would be on Board for that , as they are providing Assets for Bsi to profit from as well as us

Edited by speedibee
  • Like 1

they will earn their money riding , they will be contracted to ride in the uk or nowhere , not paid ride or not , If I had my way there would be no problem because there would be no Aussies In British speedway to use us as a training scheme .

Fortunately xenophobic people like yourself don't usually 'get your way'.

One day you'll get over it and realise, your son didn't make it because he wasn't good enough. Chris Holder made it because he was.

they will earn their money riding , they will be contracted to ride in the uk or nowhere , not paid ride or not , If I had my way there would be no problem because there would be no Aussies In British speedway to use us as a training scheme . Oh and once a rider Qualifies for GP he no longer rides in british league , and fee will be payable By BSI for temporary release from his contract , I'm sure the Poles Swedes and Danes would be on Board for that , as they are providing Assets for Bsi to profit from as well as us

Fortunately xenophobic people like yourself don't usually 'get your way'.

One day you'll get over it and realise, your son didn't make it because he wasn't good enough. Chris Holder made it because he was.

It's not xenophobic to want what is best for BRITISH Speedway though BW. We do seem to give preference to Foreign Riders at times. I love to watch Chris Holder etc. but when you get certain Riders who are, let's face it, no hopers coming from Overseas - it does seem to me that Promoters will go for them over British youngsters. At least, that is the impression I get.

It's not xenophobic to want what is best for BRITISH Speedway though BW. We do seem to give preference to Foreign Riders at times. I love to watch Chris Holder etc. but when you get certain Riders who are, let's face it, no hopers coming from Overseas - it does seem to me that Promoters will go for them over British youngsters. At least, that is the impression I get.

He wants NO Aussies in British Speedway.

You have to remember the underlying issue with Speedibee. His son tried speedway, got nowhere. The blame for that is everyone else's of course. Australians seem to get the brunt of it.

Actually - there is a certain merit in that. We bring them all (Foreigners) on in Speedway so they should show some loyalty to the Country where they got their experience, learned their Trade if you will.

It would also be good if we stopped rubbish Foreign Riders coming over here at the expense of rubbish British Riders. The rubbish Foreign Riders learn and progress whilst our rubbish British Riders don't get the chance.

Thats the difference WK,when i started going riders like Keen,HItch,Munday,Duke were no world beaters but they were entertainment great value great team members fans favourites.Would those riders of that ilk get the chance today over a foreigner probably not.