British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Grachan

More Visa Problems On The Way For Aussie Riders?

This link was posted in the Swindon 2015 thread, but I thought it worthy of wider interest, particularly in the light of the recent problems of riders such as Jason Doyle and Sam Masters.

From an article by Alun Rossiter here: http://www.swindonlinksport.com/swindon_sports_news/roscovisas

"There is talk of visas having to be changed, the way riders apply for them being changed around and riders having to reapply, which could be a real nightmare for the sport.

Sadly, the riders who commit to British speedway are the Aussies and the Americans who live in this country, and if they were Europeans this wouldn’t be an issue. Sadly, the Border Agency aren’t interested in that.

We are a unique sport but the Border Agency are not interested in that, they see it as black and white.

Everybody’s had an inspection recently and lots of questions have been asked, they're looking at speedway really closely but they just haven’t grasped that speedway is a unique sport which is all about putting bums on seats.

We were asked by them if we advertised in the local paper or on the internet for a rider when we signed Troy Batchelor, and why we didn’t just put somebody local in instead."

Cant this government body that was set up for speedway via bspa and some mp's help out by explaing how this works to border agency

Cant this government body that was set up for speedway via bspa and some mp's help out by explaing how this works to border agency

It would seem from the opening paragraph that this is exactly what is happening today, with a speedway representation going to parliament to discuss it.

• Like 1

The problem is the border agency go by the book, and that causes speedway issues. Without getting into politics too much we should be making our fellow commonwealth countries easier to come over to these shores not harder every time. Am I right in thinking Kurtz's have a British relation?

Edited by Pirates Of Poole

Did I read this correctly: "speedway is a unique sport which is all about putting bums on seats. "?

Really? Its certainly unique and they are doing a good job of driving people away!!

• Like 2

Roscoe and others are meeting the parliamentary group today.

The problem is the border agency go by the book, and that causes speedway issues. Without getting into politics too much we should be making our fellow commonwealth countries easier to come over to these shores not harder every time.

If you go to 'General Discussions' section of this forum, plenty on there are calling for immigration to be reduced if not the drawbridge to be pulled up completely. Yet when it comes to speedway, somehow there should be completely different rules, including entreaties for riders to be excused when they break them.

When I last looked at the Border Agency criteria for issuing speedway work permits, they were a bit of an ass, but considering they're apparently drafted in consultation with the BSPA, then I'd firmly point the finger there. This said, why should it be made any easier for an Australian of German origin rather than a German to come and ride in Britain?

• Like 1

As with Jason Doyle last year there may also be the problem with any new visa for a non eu riders that they will not be able to double up or ride in any meetings that does not involve the club they have signed for.

I was under the impression it was more the Australian authorities that were causing the problem rather than ours if last winter was anything to go by..............

RP

If you go to 'General Discussions' section of this forum, plenty on there are calling for immigration to be reduced if not the drawbridge to be pulled up completely. Yet when it comes to speedway, somehow there should be completely different rules, including entreaties for riders to be excused when they break them.When I last looked at the Border Agency criteria for issuing speedway work permits, they were a bit of an ass, but considering they're apparently drafted in consultation with the BSPA, then I'd firmly point the finger there. This said, why should it be made any easier for an Australian of German origin rather than a German to come and ride in Britain?

perhaps the general consensus is people only want our kith and kin here..........ie.only Northern Europeans like Germans and Scandinavians and people from the white Commonwealth.

Davey Watt wants to double up, i think he's going to be disappointed.

perhaps the general consensus is people only want our kith and kin here..........ie.only Northern Europeans like Germans and Scandinavians and people from the white Commonwealth.

So the Germans, who we fought two World Wars against, are our "kith and kin", whereas Poles - who fought on our side - aren't?

• Like 7

People are now getting what you wanted, bye bye johnny foreigner, tough tittie rosco, enjoy nathan grieves swindon #1`.

So the Germans, who we fought two World Wars against, are our "kith and kin", whereas Poles - who fought on our side - aren't?

I guess some think Heidrich didnt purify the Poles enough.

Never heard of the Anglo- Saxons eh!

Most people in this country have either Scandanavian or German blood in their veins,and by the way I have no problems with people from other countries....I was trying to say that most people who oppose mass immigration are quite happy with "selective" immigration.

Edited by mrcts

We were asked by them if we advertised in the local paper or on the internet for a rider when we signed Troy Batchelor, and why we didn’t just put somebody local in instead."

Perhaps Rosco might also ask what he's done to develop a pool of local talent so that it's unnecessary to advertise for riders... :rolleyes:

• Like 1