British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ProudtobeaBrummie

Birmingham Brummies 2015

Hardly a relief. Cradley look like they're going to walk the league instead.

I would say Birmingham look significantly stronger on riders named so far...

Good to know. The thing is, that I for one (and I doubt if I'm on my own), without having slaved through books and books of statistics haven't have come across many of the names in the NL (some fast trackers aside) so a helping hand on who are the good who are the bad and who are the ugly is appreciated.

The NL is covered extensively in the Speedway Star and all results on the Updates . Plus the BSPA site. Not exactly difficult to find out about the division and its riders!

Watered down product with good riders sitting on the side lines because of the drop in the points limit.

Junior

Welcome to Perry Barr Tom

Pretty pleased with this signing, in Ellis and Perry we have a strong top two. I think it's great to see, it's not something we ever said when we're Elite League. We didn't even have a recognised number 1 in that league last year.What a difference 12 months make,dreaded last season as I thought we were in the Elite to just make up the numbers. Now I'm really looking forward to March as it's been a good start to team building.

Was hoping we would get Perks but Wajtknecht has an impressive record already at such a young age. I'm sure he can impress in his first season in the national league.

Can someone remind me. Was it Tom Perry that got a guest appearance for the Brummies, away at Stoke, back in 2008? Probably in the same meeting that Mattia Carpanese threw his hands up in surrender?

If so, welcome back to where you started Tom.

I can't answer that but Tom did make his speedway debut at Perry Barr for the Heathens vs the USA. Quite possibly one of my favourite meetings ever - seeing fully grown men excited that there team was returning, and then seeing two fully committed teams going at it like lives depended on it - was brilliant.

Can someone remind me. Was it Tom Perry that got a guest appearance for the Brummies, away at Stoke, back in 2008? Probably in the same meeting that Mattia Carpanese threw his hands up in surrender?

If so, welcome back to where you started Tom.

He didn't race speedway until 2010

Good luck Tom.

I'm hoping for a healthy rivalry with the Brummies but let's not get silly over this. The Heathens didn't even win anything until '79 so the comment earlier about cheque book speedway in the 70's is a daft one. And B'ham have made by far the better start to team building plans. As previous post - Perry debuted for Heathens in 2010 as a 16 years old. I remember someone saying he'd ridden speedway previously but he didn't compete in a team line-up until 2010. I can't verify that he rode at 15 though.

Perry is a cracking signing to back up the rider who should top the league next season and easily the best complete newcomer to the league. Don't forget it was only a couple of years ago that Perry averaged over 10 and was 2nd only to Roynon at the end of the season. He had a blip with injury and illness in 2013 but bounced back to average over 9 with BPs last season. He only failed to score a point in 7 league races in 2014 and 3 of those were retirements!! If the old Dickie Sweets line is working at Perry Barr next season Perry should be flying and once again become one of the league's elite.

Good luck Tom.

Maybe old age is playing tricks with me. I've found this record of Tom Perry appearing for the Brummies at Stoke...but I could have sworn it was earlier than this when he first rode... still, no matter.

http://www.speedwayresults.com/result.php?type=273&season=2010

Edited by uk martin

I can't answer that but Tom did make his speedway debut at Perry Barr for the Heathens vs the USA. Quite possibly one of my favourite meetings ever - seeing fully grown men excited that there team was returning, and then seeing two fully committed teams going at it like lives depended on it - was brilliant.

You're right, it was a definite highlight of the modern Perry Barr era.

Good luck Tom.

16th. November 2008 at Iwade:

Dragons Club class championshiip: 1st. Benjamin Borgers (Netherlands) 14; 2nd. Mark Baldock 13; 3rd. TOM PERRY 11; 4th. Richard Andrews 11; 5th. Niall Strudwick 11; 6th. Mark Bibby 10; 7th. Wim Kennis (Belgium) 9; 8th. Ian Olsen 8; 9th. Jim Wannell 8; 10th. Sjors De Jonge (Netherlands) 8; 11th. Jamie Dixon 6; 12th.= Lee Lingham 3; 12th.= Steve Cook 3

I remember someone saying he'd ridden speedway previously but he didn't compete in a team line-up until 2010. I can't verify that he rode at 15 though.

16th. November 2008 at Iwade:

Dragons Club class championshiip: 1st. Benjamin Borgers (Netherlands) 14; 2nd. Mark Baldock 13; 3rd. TOM PERRY 11; 4th. Richard Andrews 11; 5th. Niall Strudwick 11; 6th. Mark Bibby 10; 7th. Wim Kennis (Belgium) 9; 8th. Ian Olsen 8; 9th. Jim Wannell 8; 10th. Sjors De Jonge (Netherlands) 8; 11th. Jamie Dixon 6; 12th.= Lee Lingham 3; 12th.= Steve Cook 3

Ahh may well have been you who previously mentioned this meeting. I'm pretty sure it was a one-off and I know 2010 was his first season in a NL level team.

-------------------------

And yes, that meeting vs USA was a good one. :t:

16th. November 2008 at Iwade:Dragons Club class championshiip: 1st. Benjamin Borgers (Netherlands) 14; 2nd. Mark Baldock 13; 3rd. TOM PERRY 11; 4th. Richard Andrews 11; 5th. Niall Strudwick 11; 6th. Mark Bibby 10; 7th. Wim Kennis (Belgium) 9; 8th. Ian Olsen 8; 9th. Jim Wannell 8; 10th. Sjors De Jonge (Netherlands) 8; 11th. Jamie Dixon 6; 12th.= Lee Lingham 3; 12th.= Steve Cook 3

Okay. I see your 2008 and raise you 2003.153xsgj.jpg

On the subject of Tom and particularly for those not very familiar with him, or indeed NL racing in general, take a look at the clip to see what could be on the cards for you 2015 speedway fix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34RaK9xe-9E

Incidentally this was the night of Heeps' Monmore Green debut - this was the only point he dropped from 7 rides!!

And this shows what Tom's capable of - if he just finds the consistency of 2012 again you've got a hell of a top two on your hands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ulhy09hxs9U