British Speedway Forum

The major negative I can see is that Speedway is still only allowed once a week at Central Park so would fortnightly meetings for the Kings "IF" Lakeside were to relocate.

lakeside would probably become the kings if it did happen.

So Kent are trying to get the CURFEW extended to 9.30 - but only on a FRIDAY ?Does that mean if given the go ahead the Club will change from a Monday to a Friday ?How will that go down with Lakeside ?Or will it make no difference ?

I believe that the 9.30 application is for ONE FRIDAY a season. Think the rest of it is for 9pm curfew on a Monday evening.

Aww please please please please please let the 9pm curfew on a Monday go through. A 7pm start time would make the roads of Sittingbourne a far safer place as I would not be frantically carving through traffic!

I believe that the 9.30 application is for ONE FRIDAY a season. Think the rest of it is for 9pm curfew on a Monday evening.

it doesn't read like that on the king's website. The reason for switching to Fridays would be to appease the locals by running on a non school night.

it doesn't read like that on the king's website. The reason for switching to Fridays would be to appease the locals by running on a non school night.

That's how I read it.

Interesting the Kings promotion have put the link on the website and it confirms what Mr Silver said at the Press Day.

If Central Park get the planning approved it's Friday night EL racing With the Lakeside promotion moving to CP.

It will be interesting if they come and run the Kent Kings in the EL or bring the Hammers to CP.

Then will the current promotion run NDL for the Kings as well on alternative Fridays?

Could be major changes at Central Park IF this gets approved.

There's certainly been alot of discussion as to what may happen if EL only at CP.

Personally whatever happens I hope the Kent Kings survive for the amazing fans.

Edited by Nikko
  • Like 1

It might be a repeat of 1996 when the hammers moved to hackney and CL racing continued at arena.

Now I have reread it i agree with you :)

Surely the original intent was to have at least PL racing if not indeed EL racing in Central Park. As Lakeside have insecure tenure at Arena it makes sense to relocate. It is just feasible that there could be two clubs (riding alternate weeks), this might depend on whether Roger Cearns intends to play a role or whether he then rents out the club to another promoter. Nonetheless everything as regards the future of speedway at Central Park revolves around the Planning Committee.

The Kings should move into at least the PL imo. they have the crowds to do so, The NL is great, if you have no speedway at all like what Cradley Birmingham and Eastbourne have been threatened with, or for clubs like Coventry, kings Lynn Rye etc who can use the NL for what is supposed to be, bringing young riders through

If you are a stand alone club like Kings or Mildenhall then I think Pl is the better option providing you can get the crowds to be financially viable

I'm sure Kent get as big a crowd as I have seen at other speedway venues although you can never be sure as crowd size has always been hush hush for some reason

Whatever happens regarding Lakeside, I just hope speedway remains in Kent for as long as possible, whatever League they choose to be in

Edited by Wiseguy

There always will be question marks over which league the Kings should run in. The current stadium and fan base could easily support PL or higher but is that what the fans want?

How many would attend every week if the gate increased to £16+ for PL or EL racing?

Kent fans seem to really enjoy embracing riders and taking them to our hearts as our own which wouldn't be the case as much in the revolving door of higher leagues.

Personally I hope the Kings stay in the NL. Id hate for all the hard work to be undone by trying to push up divisions that can't be sustainable financially and risk losing the team all together.

• Like 1

I d like us to go up to elite league but keep the nl side too. Although it's all pie in the sky and reading the planning application stuff I think the environmental officers advice to refuse application combined with the letters from residents against it too will mean we have very little chance of getting a fair hearing. I don't expect to hear any good news tonight but it would make a nice surprise. ...

@Lakesidelive: We understand that the Kent Kings' application for a 9.30pm curfew on a Friday night was successful last night, we await official word.

Early time to celebrate, but surely it now confirms speedway at Central Park for the foreseeable future which has to be good news regardless of which league entertains the crowds. Long may it last.

• Like 1

One thing I know for certain which I can share is that our planning permission is still as per when we got it and runs out at the end of the 2016 season.

Can't wait for the other announcements due as I am sure a big debate will ensue.

Edited by teaboy279