British Speedway Forum

Ben Morley- looked great and got faster and faster each outing. As smooth and effortless as ever but most exciting in my eyes is the fact he was riding the dirt Line rather then the curb

Danno Verge - looked pretty slow at first but once he got his set up dialled in he was not much slower then the heat leaders. Could well prove to be a key man in tight matches. If he can gate he will be hard to pass.

Aaron Baseby - looked as if he was never injured at the end of last season. Seemed very fast if not the fastest rider along with ayres tonight. Could well challenge Ben for the number 1 vest.

Danny Ayres - looked like he has been riding for years, seriously fast without looking erratic. Smoothed out a lot of the rough edges. The couple of times he picked up unexpected grip he simply rolled off the throttle regained control and carried on unphased. Will be genuine Heat leader very early i predict.

James Shanes - simply the best looking style on a bike a real eye pleaser. Up there with the fastest rides of the evening. Plus the addition that he never got out of shape once. A certainty for next year's fast track draft I reckon.

Matt Saul - first time I have seen him, very impressive on track and looks well set up with 2 nice looking bikes in the pits. Certainly be one to watch if selected which I would do if down to me.

Adam sheppard - on tonight's showing I would have to pick him my only fear being his equipment off the track. Seemed very steady on the bike. But I think was the only rider with one machine which could be his downfall

Jamie Couzins - looked ok when on his own doing laps. But less confident when with riders although he did pass sheppard. Off track he looks well set up with 2 well turned out machines. Area needing most work is the gating but he has certainly got a professional looking outfit

• Like 4

Ben Morley- looked great and got faster and faster each outing. As smooth and effortless as ever but most exciting in my eyes is the fact he was riding the dirt Line rather then the curb

Danno Verge - looked pretty slow at first but once he got his set up dialled in he was not much slower then the heat leaders. Could well prove to be a key man in tight matches. If he can gate he will be hard to pass.

Aaron Baseby - looked as if he was never injured at the end of last season. Seemed very fast if not the fastest rider along with ayres tonight. Could well challenge Ben for the number 1 vest.

Danny Ayres - looked like he has been riding for years, seriously fast without looking erratic. Smoothed out a lot of the rough edges. The couple of times he picked up unexpected grip he simply rolled off the throttle regained control and carried on unphased. Will be genuine Heat leader very early i predict.

James Shanes - simply the best looking style on a bike a real eye pleaser. Up there with the fastest rides of the evening. Plus the addition that he never got out of shape once. A certainty for next year's fast track draft I reckon.

Matt Saul - first time I have seen him, very impressive on track and looks well set up with 2 nice looking bikes in the pits. Certainly be one to watch if selected which I would do if down to me.

Adam sheppard - on tonight's showing I would have to pick him my only fear being his equipment off the track. Seemed very steady on the bike. But I think was the only rider with one machine which could be his downfall

Jamie Couzins - looked ok when on his own doing laps. But less confident when with riders although he did pass sheppard. Off track he looks well set up with 2 well turned out machines. Area needing most work is the gating but he has certainly got a professional looking outfit

Fair comments teaboy279. I believe James Shanes will chase both Danny and Ben for top spot as he seems to be a natural and has weighed up the track very well. Likely to be King of the season.

• Like 1

Thanks teaboy279, couldn't make it tonight. Great to hear Ben riding the outside lines. With Danny & James, think we're going to have a great team to watch this season - Roll on Friday

Teaboy,

That's probably a fair reflection of my nephew (Jamie Couzins) at the moment.

To be fair to him, circumstances have meant he hasn't been on a bike since Sunday 12th October and he knows he needs to toughen up-although he refused to let someone lean over him and turn into him as you saw tonight.

You are 100% right that he needs to improve his gating, a combination of being rusty and the clutch not quite set up right in the first race did hinder him a bit, but at the end of the day he knows his gating needs improvement which is why time and weather permitting a certain Mr Boxall will be helping him out as well.

He also needs to get race fit as there is no substitute for riding and with a bit of time I know he will be on it.

The track was mmmm, I will be diplomatic and say holey in places, but it was the same for everyone and the weather Sunday was awful for track prep. What Kent desperately needs is some banking and it will be a super track.

Good luck to all the riders for the coming season.

Thanks

Rob C

Connor Dugard has posted on Fb that Matt Saul and Jamie Cousins are reserves Adam Sheppard is No8, i guess Connor is in touch with Kent management for program printing and such like.

• Like 1

Teaboy,

That's probably a fair reflection of my nephew (Jamie Couzins) at the moment.

To be fair to him, circumstances have meant he hasn't been on a bike since Sunday 12th October and he knows he needs to toughen up-although he refused to let someone lean over him and turn into him as you saw tonight.

You are 100% right that he needs to improve his gating, a combination of being rusty and the clutch not quite set up right in the first race did hinder him a bit, but at the end of the day he knows his gating needs improvement which is why time and weather permitting a certain Mr Boxall will be helping him out as well.

He also needs to get race fit as there is no substitute for riding and with a bit of time I know he will be on it.

The track was mmmm, I will be diplomatic and say holey in places, but it was the same for everyone and the weather Sunday was awful for track prep. What Kent desperately needs is some banking and it will be a super track.

Good luck to all the riders for the coming season.

Thanks

Rob C

Hi Rob

Does the lack of track time come down to sponsorship?

I have to say I was impressed how Jamie coped with being excessively leant on by Matt going into the first corner which caused Matt to fall and bring Jamie down.

No arguing Matt looked fast but the least in control. Adam was most consistent and quicker than I have seen for a while. Jamie did look a little rusty and not great when following but composed when leading.

Based on last night I would have said Adam should be 6 or 7 and then a tricky choice for the other position so if rumours are true im a disappointed.

There was a little hole but was easy to ride round and the faster riders were looking for it for extra drive.

Thought the top 5 all looked quick so very much a positive there. Roll on Friday.

I did not go last night so cheers for a great review.

Why no Sanderson ?

Sounds like Saul really took his chance.

With regards to the reserves spots For the first two meetings, i understand it will be Jamie and Matt the two race winners ,But in all honesty there is little to pick between them all other than who gets the inside gate and Adam did not get one.. All three need to improve to be effective reserves and I can see others coming in to contention...The track had a nasty chalk base ledge with a hole developing in front of it going into the first bend causing some riders to lift and get out of shape there was little we could do to improve it on the day but it needs sorting prior to the first meeting ,other ruts also.. appeared on the second bend,.These problems were on the inside line and those like Ben Morley so smooth, and James Shanes who has a fantastic style ,both sensibly rode the dirt line were not effected..The fans meeting in the bar after the practice, i personally found it was difficult to hear anyone during the announcements and question and answers section and without a microphone set up i do not see the point, other than fans having a chat and meeting the riders....I believe our top four will be a match for any one,, our, bottom three will need to improve if we are to be among the top teams this season though in fairness most teams have several rookies and it will be the degree of improvement from these that may well decide the league placings....

Edited by waco
  • Like 2

Adam has posted in his racing page on facebook saying he got a phonecall this morning and is riding for kent at the weekend.

With regards to the reserves spots For the first two meetings, i understand it will be Jamie and Matt the two race winners ,But in all honesty there is little to pick between them all other than who gets the inside gate and Adam did not get one.. All three need to improve to be effective reserves and I can see others coming in to contention...The track had a nasty chalk base ledge with a hole developing in front of it going into the first bend causing some riders to lift and get out of shape there was little we could do to improve it on the day but it needs sorting prior to the first meeting ,other ruts also.. appeared on the second bend,These problems were on the inside line and those like Ben Morley who sensibly rode the dirt line were not effected..The fans meeting in the bar after the practice, i personally found it was difficult to hear anyone during the announcements and question and answers section and without a microphone set up i do not see the point, other than fans having a chat and meeting the riders....I believe our top four will be a match for any one,, our, bottom three will need to improve if we are to be among the top teams this season though in fairness most teams have several rookies and it will be the degree of improvement from these that may well decide the league placings....

Agree with that Waco.

But exciting team in prospect.

Ben our Number 1 - we know what he is capable of and can still improve.

Baseby has potential to be a Heat Leader and best is still to come.

Shanes is an excellent signing and could be trump card.

Ayres improving all the time and is very solid.

Danno improved a lot last year and still more to come.

Reserves we shall wait and see and as you say most team are in the same boat with Rookies.

So I think a team with potential and maybe capable of winning Clubs first piece of silverware.

Edited by AJ is King

Cruel blow for Matt but its a cruel sport. Definitely a chance for the others to cement their places now although ironically this still leaves Kent without a number 8 following Sanderson's no show.

Sounds like the number 8 is one from three: Matt, Jamie or Adam. The way I understood it from the fans forum last night was that there is likely to be shift around over the first six weeks. Sadly if Matt has incurred an injury it comes down to Jamie and Adam going out and cementing their positions in the team. Personally I have doubts over Adam who I feel could be the weaker rider long-term. Hope he proves me wrong and makes the necessary progress. He urgently needs proper help.