British Speedway Forum

Anyone know what's happening Monday at Kent? I know it says amateur meeting on the website, but not much else

even with that other guy left today?

What other guy left Mildenhall today? (Sorry Waco. Although as Kent are against Mildenhall Sunday I think its allowed)

Scratch that just seen it was Rumsey. Another fleeting return / retirement. I was expecting a high attrition rate this year but didn't think it would be this soon.

Edited by Sings4Kings

What other guy left Mildenhall today? (Sorry Waco. Although as Kent are against Mildenhall Sunday I think its allowed)

Scratch that just seen it was Rumsey. Another fleeting return / retirement. I was expecting a high attrition rate this year but didn't think it would be this soon.

Yeah the one that sounded as if old Kevin Jolly gave him a right old b*****k in about his equipment or at least that's what Liam? Said

I am given to understand that Danny Ayers could be out for about a fortnight ,broke a small bone in his hand..I believe we will operate rider replacement on sunday at Mildenhall///.But you know Danny anything might happen ? And rider replacement will weaken us considerably ... On riders dropping out this year i dont think the public realise the huge costs to keep going and with very low pay rates in this league it does not surprise me that some just can not carry on..Some of these lads are riding on very poor equipment and in some cases could be better than they look at present, if they had the necessary financial backing..

Edited by waco

The costs are huge but riders should be aware of this before accepting team places. If they have had / maintained bikes previously they would know the massive costs even to run in amateur events.

The pay in the NL should be seen as a contribution towards something the rider enjoys rather than try and make it pay for itself.

I tire of hearing riders saying I need sponsors to do X or I can't continue unless Y. Id like to drive across America but don't have the money but I certainly wouldn't ask somebody else to pay for it.

On a positive note Mondays meeting looks to be an entertaining event. Fairly evenly matched riders and a test of the reserves / potential to look at new recruits? All for £6. I will certainly be making the effort for this one.

Are you for real? Without sponsors there wouldn't be speedway. I suppose the club's shouldn't be looking for sponsorship either then.

• Like 2

I didn't say that there shouldn't be sponsors. I said riders in the NL shouldn't rely on them. If sponsors want to get on board with a rider then great. It eases the burden but when riders (and we have all seen them) say if I don't get some sponsorship I will have to quit it really gets up my nose.

There are a lot fewer sponsored riders than you think and many of them are turning in good performances every week.

• Like 1

And wtf would you know what I think? Been around plenty long enough to know what makes this sport tick and every rider in whatever league needs all the help he can get. Especially those at nl where they're going through bikes more often. Been there and got a drawer full of t shirts.

• Like 2

Apologies badly worded. Should have said fewer sponsored riders than many people realise.

I agree that any assistance to any rider is beneficial however I don't believe that riders should be dependant on it. But that's just my opinion and doesn't necessarily mean it is shared by others.

To get anywhere in this game, they are totally dependent on sponsership, whether it be parents ,,grandparents ,,friends or keen businesses ..After 60yrs in and around speedway with a grandson currently racing, i have never seen a rider get anywhere without considerable financial help... I am afraid your on your own on this one Sings for Kings ..Which surprises me as we usually concur on most aspects of speedway...

Edited by waco
  • Like 2

Might be that both Waco and Sings4Kings are both right in their thoughts. A lad needs to give it a try so he gets kitted out (not cheap), finds he likes it and has potential. This then may be where the costs start to escalate and extra help is either a must or very welcome indeed. We the paying public moan over the cost of watching but it still is cheaper than most football league games and these lads put their lives on the line as well.

• Like 4

To say sponsors are the lifeblood is false though. Fans are. Without fans there'd be no sport at all. Sponsorship is basically advertising, if nobody is seeing that advertising then it is just an unnecessary overhead for the company.

To say sponsors are the lifeblood is false though. Fans are. Without fans there'd be no sport at all. Sponsorship is basically advertising, if nobody is seeing that advertising then it is just an unnecessary overhead for the company.

What came first! Speedway for fans to watch or fans asking for speedway?

If the riders can't raise the money to compete then spectators have nothing to watch.

Sponsors are the lifeline of any sport, especially our sport, we love to watch.