British Speedway Forum
phillipsr

Tai Woffinden Misses Next Years El

I doubt it. Most thought he was a joke pick TBH. It's not like he did anything in 2012 to merit a pick.

I think that's fair - it was a surprise he was picked and an even bigger surprise he thrived.

What some seem to be suggesting is that his decision to commit to Britain was all a sinister, long-term plot to get a free ride into the GPs. He got lucky in 2013 and made the most of it - I find it strange some people in this country want to moan about it.

• Like 1

It's kind of hard to believe the Woffinden Aussie/Brit thing is still an issue with some people. What exactly does he have to do to prove he's British?

He was born in Scunthorpe, to British parents. It wasn't his choice to move to Australia - like so many Poms, his family moved out there for a better lifestyle. Tai could have stuck with the (arguably more successful) Aussie system, but worked his way up through the system here, committed himself to Great Britain and has served his clubs well (maybe with the exception of last season's unhappy time at Monmore).

If you think he somehow owes British speedway something, what about the hundreds of matches he has ridden here? What about holding a fairly weak national side together? What about bringing a world championship back to Britain and being so obviously proud to win it for Britain. Does none of that count for anything?

Woffinden would pass Norman Tebbit's cricket test with flying colours, but, of course, if you think his accent, the fact he fancies a bit of sunshine when he retires or his tattoos are more important than his undoubted achievements in a GB racejacket, then I'm sure you know better.

Well said CIG

• Like 4

I think that's fair - it was a surprise he was picked and an even bigger surprise he thrived.

What some seem to be suggesting is that his decision to commit to Britain was all a sinister, long-term plot to get a free ride into the GPs. He got lucky in 2013 and made the most of it - I find it strange some people in this country want to moan about it.

Good to see a fair point of view at least you understand like nearly everyone that he only got a Wildcard because he was a Brit .

orion, on 02 Dec 2014 - 12:01 PM, said:

Good to see a fair point of view at least you understand like nearly everyone that he only got a Wildcard because he was a Brit .

We all understand that point. We all get that. You can only speak for yourself - not everyone by the way.

However its open to debate if he had earned the chance as a Brit or not.

We all understand that point. We all get that. You can only speak for yourself - not everyone by the way.

However its open to debate if he had earned the chance as a Brit or not.

I said nearly everyone . I said that after reading the majority of views once Tai got his wildcard a point that has been agree with most people on this topic .

Edited by orion

Tai is not the tip of the iceburg, but its not good that none of the past or current world champions still riding will not be there will not be with a EL club in 2015 (Chris H may hopefully prove me wrong) most prob we will be lucky to have 50% of GP riders at best?

I still think the big question is what has british spedway got to do so that it attracts the best speedway riders to ride every week in the El so that the sport can attract more supporters, more media coverage and more sponsorship etc etc..in other words make it a more appealing product.

Meanwhile I just do not understand why folk are having a go at Tai over his decision not to ride in the UK. Putting the fact that he is a Brit then clearly in orde to make best use of his time to earn a (decent) living and have some time to enjoy it he neds to have some time off during the week and the UK is the least best option when taking into account time involved in travel and earnings...Bit like we all do when agreeing on where we we work and who for.

I dont think we can expect UK speedway to organise itself around one rider, (though hats off to TW for the amount of work and effort he put in promoting UK speedway whilst being World Champ) but we should expect promoters (BSPA) to work towards developing top flight speedway so that the top rideers do see the benefit (as they use to do) of commiting to riding in the UK on a regular basis.

Edited by 1 valve

Well all the Somalians, Poles, Hungarians etc want to live in the UK according to Sidney and UKIP, does that make them British? :D

Whats your point get to the point quickly.

That's the issue. Fans of EL want MORE not less top boys.

The gap is closer and the sport is shedding more and more fans.

Amalgamation would kill off any credibility we have in Europe and it failed last time it was tried.

Its an even bigger no no this time around.

EL fans don't want a dumbed down product and don't want PL standard league racing. Likewise PL fans aren't keen on the EL.

The irony of course is those that think amalgamation is the way forward fail to see there aren't enough riders to go around as it is.

It would be a disaster IMHO.

And would turn more and more away from Speedway.

You are not in the real world, the last attempt was in the 90s different circumstances different times.The two leagues whether you like it or not are getting ever closer that is reality except it.I see it for my own eyes everyweek it is only a matter of time EL is dying on its feet and that is with the SKY money.I want a top league like you,but something has to change, and soon and new answers i haven't got them but plodding on with an inferior EL product is not the best choice.

Whats your point get to the point quickly.

You are not in the real world, the last attempt was in the 90s different circumstances different times.The two leagues whether you like it or not are getting ever closer that is reality except it.I see it for my own eyes everyweek it is only a matter of time EL is dying on its feet and that is with the SKY money.I want a top league like you,but something has to change, and soon and new answers i haven't got them but plodding on with an inferior EL product is not the best choice.

Think its you not in the real world.

Just where are all these extra riders going to come from for this amalgamation? No double uppers or downers and the majority of the riders wouldn't want it and id guess same as the promoters because if it was such a good idea it would have been voted in.

I already stated the gap is closer between the 2 leagues, and one of the reasons why EL supporters are turning away from a weaker product. If the PL is in such a healthy state why have the likes of Glasgow, Peterborough, Plymouth, Scunthorpe are struggling to make ends meet with threats of closure?? Or are just blinkered to the problems outside the EL??

The sport is in a worse state than in the 90`s for such an amalgamation to work or be viable.

What EL fans want is a stronger product and more top riders.

Is it feasible or viable? If I was a promoter I might have better answers to that.

Would it mean more on the admission?? Highly likely yes. But I reckon more would pay up to £20 if it meant we had stronger EL teams again.

SPEEDWAY has to change, not just one league.

Edited by stevebrum

This is all relative as well.. Do you think that the Premier League is now the strongest it's ever been? Is it to strong? I guess this is the met result of no promotion/relegation.. The Premier League is not a bona fida Division 2, can't really remember the last time it was. Promotion and relegation is a form of natural selection, you have a strong top division, and much weaker lower divisions, but with Speedway, at the end of the season, teams virtually choose which division to ply there trade in, successful teams are broken up, but not redistributed to the lesser teams in the league because they can't afford the top dollar riders, and some are lost to the EL for the next season because they can't ride for the top team that next season because of the team building restrictions... So the top league haemorrhages quality virtually year on year, meanwhile, the PL carries on regardless.... One thing that needs to stop is always weakening the product to the lowest denominator, sure fire way to disaster.. But I don't know what a painless solution to this problem would be..... Discuss.

Edited by Shale Searcher
  • Like 1

Think its you not in the real world.

Just where are all these extra riders going to come from for this amalgamation? No double uppers or downers and the majority of the riders wouldn't want it and id guess same as the promoters because if it was such a good idea it would have been voted in.

I already stated the gap is closer between the 2 leagues, and one of the reasons why EL supporters are turning away from a weaker product. If the PL is in such a healthy state why have the likes of Glasgow, Peterborough, Plymouth, Scunthorpe are struggling to make ends meet with threats of closure?? Or are just blinkered to the problems outside the EL??

The sport is in a worse state than in the 90`s for such an amalgamation to work or be viable.

What EL fans want is a stronger product and more top riders.

Is it feasible or viable? If I was a promoter I might have better answers to that.

Would it mean more on the admission?? Highly likely yes. But I reckon more would pay up to £20 if it meant we had stronger EL teams again.

SPEEDWAY has to change, not just one league.

Speedway is not a twenty pound sport that is for certain,and where you are not in the real world is SKY will not be around for ever.So they are supporting clubs at the moment keeping them going when they go what then for some of the clubs.I think we have to get real alot of the real top boys will never ride Britain again full time,so why not get a longterm plan together (clubs it won't happen).Balance the books and try and get the product right ,speedway is not all about watching GP riders i have enjoyed watching a lower level all i want is for speedway to be around in twenty years time.
  • Like 2

Speedway is not a twenty pound sport that is for certain,and where you are not in the real world is SKY will not be around for ever.So they are supporting clubs at the moment keeping them going when they go what then for some of the clubs.I think we have to get real alot of the real top boys will never ride Britain again full time,so why not get a longterm plan together (clubs it won't happen).Balance the books and try and get the product right ,speedway is not all about watching GP riders i have enjoyed watching a lower level all i want is for speedway to be around in twenty years time.

Speedway in its current state isn't a £20 sport that's for sure.

The apparent temptation by some (namely Coventry) to put the prices up without any real strengthen of the top riders is likely to see yet more turn their back on Speedway.

Who says SKY wont be around for ever? Do you have a crystal ball or have inside knowledge to SKY`s long term plans?

SKY have put less into the EL from this season and yet we have the likes of Freddie, AJ and looking like Holder are returning. So how are clubs managing to get more top riders over if SKY are paying less??

As I have already stated Speedway is becoming an expensive sport for ALL levels of British racing.

No, Speedway is not all about GP riders however what about those that attend Cardiff and hardly any other meetings??

Speedway at ALL levels is struggling, yet you put the fault firmly at the EL. Which is narrow minded IMHO.

• Like 1

Speedway in its current state isn't a £20 sport that's for sure.

The apparent temptation by some (namely Coventry) to put the prices up without any real strengthen of the top riders is likely to see yet more turn their back on Speedway.

Who says SKY wont be around for ever? Do you have a crystal ball or have inside knowledge to SKY`s long term plans?

SKY have put less into the EL from this season and yet we have the likes of Freddie, AJ and looking like Holder are returning. So how are clubs managing to get more top riders over if SKY are paying less??

As I have already stated Speedway is becoming an expensive sport for ALL levels of British racing.

No, Speedway is not all about GP riders however what about those that attend Cardiff and hardly any other meetings??

Speedway at ALL levels is struggling, yet you put the fault firmly at the EL. Which is narrow minded IMHO.

I don't fault the EL,i watch it everyweek i want it to prosper but i am being realistic 20 pounds a head going with a family is to much that could be a deathwish.We both want the same thing,the only difference is you are more bullish/positive than what i am about the future.

I don't fault the EL,i watch it everyweek i want it to prosper but i am being realistic 20 pounds a head going with a family is to much that could be a deathwish.We both want the same thing,the only difference is you are more bullish/positive than what i am about the future.

I prefer positive - which sums up my character.

The premiership is more expensive and often less exciting and families go.

Supporters and families flock to Cardiff for a more costly experience.

So I don't buy this `too expensive` line. Its too expensive for what we have now I agree.

We need our governing body to start thinking outside the box and looking at ways of being `bigger` and not trying to please the few.

We need to attract major advertisers/sponsors to fund this.

It works in Sweden and Poland so its possible if we look `bigger`.

We need big changes and not little tinkering`s each season.

I prefer positive - which sums up my character.

The premiership is more expensive and often less exciting and families go.

Supporters and families flock to Cardiff for a more costly experience.

So I don't buy this `too expensive` line. Its too expensive for what we have now I agree.

We need our governing body to start thinking outside the box and looking at ways of being `bigger` and not trying to please the few.

We need to attract major advertisers/sponsors to fund this.

It works in Sweden and Poland so its possible if we look `bigger`.

We need big changes and not little tinkering`s each season.

A couple of people i know who are keen speedway people are picking and choosing there meeting's.Because they see it as an expensive night out to get in parking and a programme nearly 25 pounds the prices certainly can't go up.

sidney, on 03 Dec 2014 - 10:01 PM, said:

A couple of people i know who are keen speedway people are picking and choosing there meeting's.Because they see it as an expensive night out to get in parking and a programme nearly 25 pounds the prices certainly can't go up.

I know a lot that are doing the same too.

Likewise a lot of people I speak to would pay a couple of quid more to watch the top boys back.