British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

Warsaw Gp Saturday 18th April

I think a lot of todays top riders are getting too picky over track conditions.

I've seen meetings completed on tracks a lot worse than tonight.

• Like 1

What are you basing the call off on? What Smashy and Nicey said?

As far as I'm aware, even the unofficial, official is wiping his hands of it.. ( not kissing arse tonight)

Have you got insider knowledge? :D;)

The post on here from the Swedish press that said Nicki and Greg lead rider complaints about the track.

Why else would they call it off? Maybe it was getting close to Gregs bed time now he's getting on a bit and he wanted to go home?! :D

The post on here from the Swedish press that said Nicki and Greg lead rider complaints about the track.

Why else would they call it off? Maybe it was getting close to Gregs bed time now he's getting on a bit and he wanted to go home?! :D

We don't know what was said, it was a long old consultation though. The myriad of F**k ups was enough in itself. I do feel for the riders hard done by on the night, but I don't blame them one bit! Absolute farce, from start to... interval!? LOL

I'd have walked out sooner, absolute disgrace!

Edited by Jacques

In all fairness the track was like a biliard table compared to some of the Newport tracks.I could go over on a Sunday afternoon and take home copious root vegetables thrown over the fence.

Utter farce and disgrace for a professional sport VERY lucky to still have all the media and TV coverage that it gets, when you consider all the factors! However, on a controversial note, i actually thought the "green light" starting procedure worked really well. Look at all the races that were started under it and apart from one rider (Doyle) in one race, not a single rider moved an inch before the light went out. Now compare that to races (in normal meeting) starting at the tapes, and you will see at least one rider trying to "cheat" (and more often than not getting away with it) by rolling, in virtually every race. Was it no coincidence that "certain" rollers tonight who are normally first out of the gate, were not making them under the "green light" starts and others who normally never move an inch (but also often "miss the gate") were doing better at the starts (i.e. Harris).

Like someone else suggested, surely in this day an age we could employ some sort of combination of a green light and a laser marking the "tape" and position of the front tyre, to cut out the cheating and very annoying presence of the "rolling starts"?

Edited by ytsejam
  • Like 9

Only saw 1 race and that was MJJ's win, track looked ok to me

So you missed Morrissey doing the pre-meeting singalong.it was very quiet.

• Like 2

The poles are still in good spirits.Fair play to them

Or was that drinking spirits ?

Edited by markyb

I'm just left bewildered by the whole thing. Yes it was a balls-up from the beginning but, with the exception of the starting gate issue, I saw nothing that we haven't seen on countless other temporary tracks. Yes it was rutty and bumpy, but riders were hardly two-wheeling into the corners. A few riders fell, but riders have falls all the time, irrespective of ruts. And on these temporary tracks, there will be ruts and riders will fall off. It's not ideal but it happens.

Look at the ruts and bumps when Bomber won at Cardiff. A quick YouTube search will show you that the track tonight was no worse than that.

I just wonder, when the riders were sitting in their briefing, how many of them considered the thousands of fans who had paid their money to be there. Some who had paid hundreds of pounds plus to attend. And who now, with the meeting result declared, are left short changed (irrespective of any compensation package which may or may not be forthcoming from the organisers). Why was there a will to 'get on with it' back when the GP was initially brought into these stadiums, which seems to have disappeared now? What happened to 'the show must go on'?

And before anyone pipes up with that old chestnut of 'rider safety is paramount', unfortunately riders get injured. It's an unfortunate part of our sport. But I've seen plenty of riders injured on 'ideally' prepared tracks. All riders know that the GP temporary tracks are inconsistent. When they sign up for the GP, surely they understand that there is a good chance that some of the racing surfaces they are faced with will be less than ideal.

But, of course, I'm not a rider, so I'm not allowed to comment on this, I suppose.

Absolutely 100% spot on.

The riders were as much to blame for this farce as the organisers.

Calling a riders meeting just because they were going to run the meeting on a green light start? Pathetic. Phil Morris should have taken control at that point and put the 2 minute warning on. Once he allowed that to happen they knew they could walk over him.

No surprise that the 2 riders leading the protests weren't having a particularly good night either.

The track wasn't that bad, not by a long shot. Better than many Cardiff tracks.

Obviously lots were to blame for tonights farce, but in order I would put

1: The Referee

2: Phil Morris

3: The Riders

4th and least of all: The Track

• Like 4

Anyone know who the very proffessional" sounding "!!FIM JURY are who mad the call to call the meeting off.or was it someone else who called the meeting off?!! im confused!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a complete farce, once again speedway has shown what an amateur run sport it is and will never be taken seriously by the media. Did they not test the gate before the meeting started, did they not have spare starting equipment and magnets, it beggars belief. Nobody seemed to be in charge or willing to make a decision it just dragged on and on, good job it was not a football crowd. Phil Morris should stick to his catering business.

Catering business ? Omg

surely not THE Philip Morris who has the ''wagon' at the layby on the A46.

Anyone know who the very proffessional" sounding "!!FIM JURY are who mad the call to call the meeting off.or was it someone else who called the meeting off?!! im confused!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The FIM Jury will be a President appointed by the FIM, a representative of the PZM, and the referee.

The Jury formally has to make the decision to abandon a meeting, in consultation with the Clerk of the Course and Race Director.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby
  • Like 1

So the riders have a gagging order put on them. What happened to freedom of speech .Another nail in the speedway coffin

Thought you were having a laugh - and then started looking at the sites of normally 'Twitter happy' riders.

Not a bad word to be said against the 'establishment'

"hush" money ?

Prima Donna's all 18 of them in my book. So sad !

Edited by markyb

3 out of last 11 SGPs fiascos - Tampere, Riga & now Warsaw!

Think riders were correct in not continuing, ruts in T1/2 were shocking. Pedersen nearly off, Holder & Batchelor off - serious accident waiting to happen

• Like 3