British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

Warsaw Gp Saturday 18th April

That, of course depends on which side of the argument you are on BW.

There is no side of the argument.

Trees has made up that riders were coasting into the bends.

They weren't.

Has it been confirmed that the riders refused to ride the remaining heats? or did they vote unanimously for it to be discontinued and the officials agreed the track was too dangerous?

THE riders refused to continue, claiming safety issues, effectively leaving the FIM with no choice other than to call a halt to proceedings.

WHY all the cynical comments?

Er, Warsaw?

Possibly.

And the role played in the abandonment by those receiving payouts.

In the face of paying customers who have received not a single penny of recompense.

Possibly..

Cynical action on April 18, with more cyclical actions and words subsequently, demand cynical comments.

It is the least we can do, in the circumstances,

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 4

HAVE been told today that the material used for the Warsaw track was transported from the quarry in King's Lynn via Gdansk in February and kept in storage in Poland before being laid at the track on the Monday/Tuesday prior to the event ... which is the usual timescale.

Also that the malfunctioning starting gate remains a mystery. Was tested several times on the day before the meeting and has since been taken apart and thoroughly checked with no apparent faults. The lack of a second gate, which was the responsibility of the organisers (PZM) and not enforced by the FIM has been noted.

All the various parties involved (FIM, PZM, BSI, Ole Olsen) are still providing answers to the underlying questions but it is becoming more apparent that the condition of the track certainly should not have caused the meeting to be abandoned when it was.

By the time we get to Cardiff I expect Paul Bellamy to be in charge at BSI,Ole Olsen and his company to be in charge of track building,Phil Morris to still be race director,Armando and his cronies at the FIM unchanged, still passing off Ole's tracks whatever there state,the PZM free to stage further events,the FIM jury unchanged,Jim Laurence to still be refereeing at GP level and no riders receiving a suspension. AKA business as usual ! Heads must roll SAYS Phil Rising don't hold your breath ! Edited by New Science

Far for me to defend Philippe, but BSI payments to riders have been made for some years - supposedly for expenses relating to running in the SGP, but in reality to make up for the pitiful prize money on offer. Of the course, the timing is pretty poor considering there will be thousands of fans still out of pocket from Warsaw that have been fobbed off to the PZM.

Of course Philippe is not just a messenger. He is the (former?) Deputy Race Director, his company produces the programmes for the SGP, and possibly has some sort of media relationship with BSI to manage the publicity. Don't expect any real or sustained criticism.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

Far for me to defend Philippe, but BSI payments to riders have been made for some years - supposedly for expenses relating to running in the SGP, but in reality to make up for the pitiful prize money on offer. Of the course, the timing is pretty poor considering there will be thousands of fans still out of pocket from Warsaw that have been fobbed off to the PZM.

Of course Philippe is not just a messenger. He is the (former?) Deputy Race Director, his company produces the programmes for the SGP, and possibly has some sort of media relationship with BSI to manage the publicity. Don't expect any real or sustained criticism.

NEVER denied that Pinegen (publishers of Speedway Star) produce SGP programmes for BSI but have no media relationship, financial or otherwise, with them. Neither BSI nor the FIM contribute financially to my attendance at SGP/SWC events. Views expressed here are my own.

Fans haven't been fobbed off to the PZM ... it was their event. Who received the ticket money ... BSI or the PZM? Answer: the latter.

Thanks for the defence, however short and not so sweet!

Edited by PHILIPRISING

I would imagine BSI are not in a position to talk about refunds. The PZM were the event organizers and your contract is with them, not BSI.

BSI are the license holders and clearly have a major promotional role whether it is a GP they are organising or not. Once again we are entering territory where it is more about their legal team than holding up their end of the bargain with the fans.

It has nothing to do with being license holders. In all cases the contract exists between the party that paid the money and the party that received it. If there are refunds they will come from the PZM who in turn, if there is a case, will claim against BSI.

Fans haven't been fobbed off to the PZM ... it was their event. Who received the ticket money ... BSI or the PZM? Answer: the latter.

Quite correct Phil. A point I brought up 3 weeks ago. Any ticket refunds will be from the PZM but they won't be happy about giving them out and in turn will seek recompense from BSI. I would imagine the reality is no one will bother pursuing a refund so it won't be an issue.

Do organizers not have insurance against "force majeure" in any case. Not sure 16 stroppy prima donna riders with other agendas class as force majeure in any case

• Like 1

Quite correct Phil. A point I brought up 3 weeks ago. Any ticket refunds will be from the PZM but they won't be happy about giving them out and in turn will seek recompense from BSI. I would imagine the reality is no one will bother pursuing a refund so it won't be an issue.

Do organizers not have insurance against "force majeure" in any case. Not sure 16 stroppy prima donna riders with other agendas class as force majeure in any case

Fans in Poland have already -through a Gniezno law firm-started proceedings claiming refunds for ticket ,travel. etc

This is a google translation of a sportowefakty article

Requests for payment sent by the ASN Gniezno office went unanswered. In the coming days, the court addressed will be the first lawsuits.

Law firm Klejborowski / Bernaciak of Gniezno over two weeks ago sent the Polish Motor Association request for payment on the organization LOTTO Warsaw FIM Speedway Grand Prix of Poland at the National Stadium. In the absence of a reaction from the ASN, the law firm will submit the first lawsuits in court. - From the moment of sending the first requests for payment expired two weeks, but today PZMot did not take on any position. In these circumstances, as indeed with what we announced, next week, our office will submit to the court for payment of the first lawsuits - said the lawyer Matthew Klejborowski.

Lawsuits will include the reimbursement of tickets and passes. In some cases nights. - In most cases reimbursement claim includes ticket and reimbursement of travel expenses and sometimes even accommodation. In our opinion, all of these expenses constitute a detriment supporters, formed as a result of breach of contract by PZMot. We set PZMot long, because the two-week deadline for restitution claims by supporters, understanding that PZMot needs time to explain all the circumstances relating to the organization of the tournament. Despite this, there has been during this period no reply, which raises our surprise and disappointment at the same time, the more in view of the nature of the claim - said the lawyer Klejborowski.

Recall that the office of Gniezno treats each case individually. There is also a group of supporters, which is considering filing a class action lawsuit in the case

Edited by racers and royals

DON'T think cost of transponders is an issue as far as GPs are concerned but certainly would be across domestic speedway. I'm no expert (perhaps you are) but who pays for the people to operate them? And as I say, riders not convinced that it would be right just to have them at GPs when they would be required to change their starting rituals of a lifetime.

IT is the FIM who determine prize money but only this week all the permanent SGP riders received a fairly substantial 'bonus' payment from BSI. Of course everyone would like to see the riders earn more but right from the outset of the involvement of BSI, initially through John Postlethwaite, he said that he would provide the TV coverage on which they could build sponsorship deals which would probably not otherwise be available. Works for some, maybe not all.

BSI liable for what? Clearly the PZM were the organisers of the Warsaw event and it is they that are liable for any refunds, etc. BSI/IMG's lawyers would obviously not want them admitting liability for something which they consider they are not liable for.

Whether or not I would support a breakaway from the FIM is immaterial but it just wouldn't work unless all other forms of speedway did the same and that is never going to happen.

The FIM appear quite a useful foil for the BSI in terms of limiting the distribution of profits and blame apportionment and as such the current arrangement is very much to their advantage. Time will tell if someone feels there is sufficient profit to challenge the status quo. A collective challenge from the riders is unlikely without third party organisation as they are not exactly renowned for being "Team" players. Interesting the FIM determine prize money but the BSI pay bonus'. This suggests the BSI can pay more if they deem it beneficial. In other posts you reference these being annual payments in which case the previously reported £2,000,000+ profits are after deducting such bonus'.

As to liability I still believe it lies with the BSI and PZM have responded to that effect. For the sake of £70, there is very little to lose in lodging a County Court claim. Whilst I appreciate you are fan of the BSI and I can see they have developed the sport at GP level , is their handling of this situation really as you infer , " Beyond reproach"?

DON'T think cost of transponders is an issue as far as GPs are concerned but certainly would be across domestic speedway. I'm no expert (perhaps you are) but who pays for the people to operate them? And as I say, riders not convinced that it would be right just to have them at GPs when they would be required to change their starting rituals of a lifetime.

IT is the FIM who determine prize money but only this week all the permanent SGP riders received a fairly substantial 'bonus' payment from BSI. Of course everyone would like to see the riders earn more but right from the outset of the involvement of BSI, initially through John Postlethwaite, he said that he would provide the TV coverage on which they could build sponsorship deals which would probably not otherwise be available. Works for some, maybe not all.

BSI liable for what? Clearly the PZM were the organisers of the Warsaw event and it is they that are liable for any refunds, etc. BSI/IMG's lawyers would obviously not want them admitting liability for something which they consider they are not liable for.

Whether or not I would support a breakaway from the FIM is immaterial but it just wouldn't work unless all other forms of speedway did the same and that is never going to happen.

The FIM appear quite a useful foil for the BSI in terms of limiting the distribution of profits and blame apportionment and as such the current arrangement is very much to their advantage. Time will tell if someone feels there is sufficient profit to challenge the status quo. A collective challenge from the riders is unlikely without third party organisation as they are not exactly renowned for being "Team" players. Interesting the FIM determine prize money but the BSI pay bonus'. This suggests the BSI can pay more if they deem it beneficial. In other posts you reference these being annual payments in which case the previously reported £2,000,000+ profits are after deducting such bonus'.

As to liability I still believe it lies with the BSI and PZM have responded to that effect. For the sake of £70, there is very little to lose in lodging a County Court claim. Whilst I appreciate you are fan of the BSI and I can see they have developed the sport at GP level , is their handling of this situation really as you infer , " Beyond reproach"?

NO!!!

Whilst not being amongst the 'in' people, it appears to me that BSI has, generally, been bad for Speedway. I have believed this for years.

Yes they give us the Grand Prix - but at what cost to British Speedway, which seems to have gone down hill with the inception of the GPs.

BSI are a business and are in the GP Series for BSI - certainly not British Speedway. All Profits seem to go to BSI with a bit for the Riders and that seems to be it. There is nothing, as far as I can see, for the Training of young Riders or anything else for our (British) Speedway. BSI should remember that as soon as a Rider is proficient enough to enter the GP System he is another Rider who keeps the 'Circus' on the road. But again, BSI contribute nothing for the Track who developed the Rider, and nothing toward improving Speedway in this Country from it's roots to the top. My contention is that as BSI benefit from having our Riders in their GP System - they should, at the very least, be putting money in at the bottom end of Speedway so that even more Riders can be developed for their GP Series.

Surely that is to their benefit and also to the benefit of British Speedway.

That is the way I see it anyhow.

• Like 1

As for the post on do they take out insurance, I think it would be very hard to file a claim for nothing better than a pile of horse manure. Because that is what was dished out the night of the 18th of April 2015.

Not a night that many true speedway fans will want to remember, also don't think it will make it into the top 20,,000 speedway meetings of all time.

As for the post on do they take out insurance, I think it would be very hard to file a claim for nothing better than a pile of horse manure. Because that is what was dished out the night of the 18th of April 2015.

Not a night that many true speedway fans will want to remember, also don't think it will make it into the top 20,,000 speedway meetings of all time.

A Night of infamy.

NO!!!

Whilst not being amongst the 'in' people, it appears to me that BSI has, generally, been bad for Speedway. I have believed this for years.

Yes they give us the Grand Prix - but at what cost to British Speedway, which seems to have gone down hill with the inception of the GPs.

BSI are a business and are in the GP Series for BSI - certainly not British Speedway. All Profits seem to go to BSI with a bit for the Riders and that seems to be it. There is nothing, as far as I can see, for the Training of young Riders or anything else for our (British) Speedway. BSI should remember that as soon as a Rider is proficient enough to enter the GP System he is another Rider who keeps the 'Circus' on the road. But again, BSI contribute nothing for the Track who developed the Rider, and nothing toward improving Speedway in this Country from it's roots to the top. My contention is that as BSI benefit from having our Riders in their GP System - they should, at the very least, be putting money in at the bottom end of Speedway so that even more Riders can be developed for their GP Series.

Surely that is to their benefit and also to the benefit of British Speedway.

That is the way I see it anyhow.

British Speedway has gone downhill since the launch of Eastenders but that has nothing to do with it either.

British Speedway has gone downhill since the launch of Eastenders but that has nothing to do with it either.

So you are saying that the GPs have had nothing to do with the decline of British Speedway.

All I can say to that is that you are entitled to your view. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: