British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

Warsaw Gp Saturday 18th April

Why do Poland, Sweden Denmark etc seem to manage to develop riders of their own ? What is it you would like BSI to actually do. Even if the ploughed every penny they make into the four or five speedway nations it would amount to £15,000 or so per track. What part of British development is wholly dependent on the odd £15,000 and how would it help.

The promoters of the 60s and 70s are where you should be directing your anger. They were happy to go home in Rolls Royces with suitcases full of cash without putting a single penny onto the infrastructure of the sport that was providing for them.

You may be right - but - we are where we are.

Speedway is dying now - no matter whose fault it is.

Surely Speedway should benefit in some way from the Sports premier/Showcase Event.

Or - are you saying I am wrong.

I`m glad you are saying that BSI should make a profit-I suppose how much depends on the turnover /profit ratio. A usefull comparison could be made with someone like Dorna.

Who?

Surely Speedway should benefit in some way from the Sports premier/Showcase Event.

Who?

Google them

Well thats a different thing. Of course speedway should be benefiting financially from the SGP. The 3 main speedway countries could, and should, have been running the series themselves.

You said BSI should be helping rider development, I asked how you think they could do this

Well thats a different thing. Of course speedway should be benefiting financially from the SGP. The 3 main speedway countries could, and should, have been running the series themselves.

You said BSI should be helping rider development, I asked how you think they could do this

Firstly by giving a certain sum of money to each Country, graded to size and popularity of the Sport in said Country, for Youth Development. I realise that the Poles will probably get largest share. That is the only fair way to do it.

Secondly - Don't ask me how much - I don't know the the full financial details of the GP Series.

I hope this answers your question.

Edited by The White Knight

Firstly by giving a certain sum of money to each Country, graded to size and popularity of the Sport in said Country, for Youth Development. I realise that the Poles will probably get largest share. That is the only fair way to do it.

Secondly - Don't ask me how much - I don't know the the full financial details of the GP Series.

I hope this answers your question.

BSI make approx 1.5 million profit out of the SGP per year. If they split it 4 ways between the Danes Swedes Poles and ourselves the thats £375,000 per country. Split 20 ways that is less than 20K per track.

The sky deal was putting roughly double that into the Elite League, how much has that helped

BSI make approx 1.5 million profit out of the SGP per year. If they split it 4 ways between the Danes Swedes Poles and ourselves the thats £375,000 per country. Split 20 ways that is less than 20K per track.

The sky deal was putting roughly double that into the Elite League, how much has that helped

So you are saying that BSI has no responsibility toward Speedway - even though it is making a hell of a lot of money out of it. It doesn't matter to me how small the amount they put in to Speedway - it is though my contention that they should contribute something, not to each Track, but to each Country for Youth Development..

To me £1.5 million is a lot of money.

• Like 1

Surely, they don't come out of that money either.

I imagine it is the local promoters who foot the bill for their stay.

My understanding is also this. FIM people's stay is included in the staging fee.

To me £1.5 million is a lot of money.

It's not a huge amount in the grand scheme of things, but if you add in the amount paid to the FIM (minus the prize monies) plus the royalties that IMG charge BSI, then it would probably be closer to £3 million. There's most likely also a profit margin in the costs charged by other IMG companies to BSI for work undertaken on their behalf, so that could reasonably be another half million or so (although this is an estimate), and staff costs look very high as well.

So that's at £3.5 million or so that could be going into speedway. Divide that (for argument's sake) five ways between Britain, Poland, Sweden, Denmark and the other speedway countries, and it's 700K more per year than the BSPA currently receives.

I also regard the GP trips as my holiday time and have learned a lot more about European history and culture than I did when I was at school. There are some amazing places to visit than I would never have come across otherwise.I also feel lucky that I live in a time when it is very easy to travel throughout most of Europe unlike the previous generations who were commemorated in the VE celebrations last week and those in the cold war generation.

It's of course very nice the SGP is doing so much for tourism and European harmony (no doubt much to the chagrin of Mr Ploppy), but it still doesn't change the fact that the proceeds go largely to a US-based corporation and speedway benefits little.

Does it encourage speedway fans to attend their local tracks in any great numbers, or has it brought any significant returns in terms of sponsorship or other revenues? It might be argued that it helped British speedway get a television deal, but I think the truth of the matter is that could have been obtained regardless in the era of satellite/cable looking for cheap content.

It's maybe true that the SGP has kept interest in the sport alive longer than might otherwise be the case, but that's all the more reason for it to be supporting the underlying grassroots.

I said at start that started going back to leagues after watching the sgp coverage in the earlier part of the post you copied

I think we can put all of this talk to bed.

It's now blatantly obvious the Warsaw meeting was postponed due to a few senior riders not doing well on the night and having a strop because it was a green light start.

Tonights GP the track is far, far trickier. The racing, much worse.. but messrs Hancock, Pedersen and Holder are scoring well.

• Like 2

I think we can put all of this talk to bed.

It's now blatantly obvious the Warsaw meeting was postponed due to a few senior riders not doing well on the night and having a strop because it was a green light start.

Tonights GP the track is far, far trickier. The racing, much worse.. but messrs Hancock, Pedersen and Holder are scoring well.

Exactly. It was obvious to me anyway but last night pretty much confirms it.

Watch the meeting again and see what the riders are doing.Warsaw I mean.

Edited by Trees

We really have gone down a long way in just one short month, haven't we?

I have no idea of the details of contracts but ...

We must have seen the last ever Finnish Grand Prix last night.

No one could seriously consider taking us back to Tampere and there really does not look like any viable alternative.

And equally, with what happened in Warsaw.

An SGP return to the Polish capital would be difficult to imagine,
For all sorts of reasons.

After screwing up Germany with Gelsenkirchen, ending the use of fine old Ullevi, the Riga debacle of last year and milking dry New Zealand for the future.

BSI are leaving behind quite a few no-go areas, aren't they?

Cardiff, Horsens and Melbourne really have to be perfect.

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 2

Perhaps the temporary tracks are not good in the colder weather, inside or outside, both Warsaw and Tampere the weather was damp and cold, you try baking a cake with no heat, it's impossible, and surely, you need the warmth to aid the track to go off.. both were too soft... In my opinion.