British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

Warsaw Gp Saturday 18th April

All very nice but as expected no result of the enquiry as promised to the fans. Yet another speedway scandal just swept under the carpet.

Well I for one will not be conned again!

What are they going to say?

The blame lied squarely with the riders.. mainly Hancock as subsequent events have told us.

Sure, the starting gate failed, but that's hardly a reason to call off a meeting.

That said Mickey Mouse event tickets are sponsored PZM, so me thinks PZM is sort of taking the blame for 2015.

The PZM probably carried the liability from the perspective of the punters as they were the promoters of the event, so probably trying to offer a sop. It's not much of a sop though, if the punters only have a week to redeem their tickets for the free event.

I doubt the PZM could really be blamed for the starting gate, state of the track or intransigence of the riders (delete as applicable) which were the responsibility of others.

Not like you to be so negative Hump

I must have missed all the positivity elsewhere on this forum.

So it seems that despite a GP being called off in an indoor stadium just 2/3rds of the way through, everyone is happy with a free open meeting that they have one week to claim their tickets for. And how do they actually physically redeem their 2015 tickets in that one week window?

The PZM probably carried the liability from the perspective of the punters as they were the promoters of the event, so probably trying to offer a sop. It's not much of a sop though, if the punters only have a week to redeem their tickets for the free event.

I doubt the PZM could really be blamed for the starting gate, state of the track or intransigence of the riders (delete as applicable) which were the responsibility of others.

So it seems that despite a GP being called off in an indoor stadium just 2/3rds of the way through, everyone is happy with a free open meeting that they have one week to claim their tickets for. And how do they actually physically redeem their 2015 tickets in that one week window?

Pressed 'Like' Button by mistake so I have 'Unliked'.

I think they can - should there not have been a spare Starting Gate to cover for unfortunate happenings like the one that occurred? Seems like common sense to me.

Fair enough if two had broken down..................

What are they going to say?

The blame lied squarely with the riders.. mainly Hancock as subsequent events have told us.

Sure, the starting gate failed, but that's hardly a reason to call off a meeting.

Don't blame the riders,they shouldn't have to ride on a ploughed field just to fill the coffers of BSI,PZM .Amazing how temporary tracks have suddenly improved since this farce took place . Coincidence ?

Why don't you leave then ?

Why don't you leave then ?

Do you have anything positive to say?

I think they can - should there not have been a spare Starting Gate to cover for unfortunate happenings like the one that occurred? Seems like common sense to me.

Yes, but if that was the responsibility of SpeedSport who they had to contract to do the track?

Do you have anything positive to say?

Yes, but if that was the responsibility of SpeedSport who they had to contract to do the track?

I don't know for certain who was to blame on that one Humphrey - but a spare Gate should have been available on such a 'prestigeous' occasion.

I did, however, think that BSI had overall responsibility for the GPs, ergo it was ultimately their fault.

I did, however, think that BSI had overall responsibility for the GPs, ergo it was ultimately their fault.

WHERE would you place the FIM in that scenario?

Nowhere.

They are totally irrelevent as far as providing spare Starting Gates is concerned.

BSI however - the Promoting Company..............................................................................

Not really anywhere, beyond continually allowing BSI to screw up.

If SpeedSport or whoever are contracted to deliver a track for a GP only a day before the meeting starts and they don't deliver to a satisfactory standard, then what exactly is the FIM supposed to do? Whether or not they're formally responsible for signing off or not, if they don't sign it off then there's no meeting and the promoters will then be liable to refund monies.

So they're in a difficult position and you can see why they'd sign off on a track unless it's actually dangerous to ride on. The failure was down whoever prepared the track (including starting gate) and ultimately the BSI who are or should be their supervisors. Yes, starting gates can fail - we all accept that - but it's unforgivable to not have a replacement set at a GP event. It's totally amateurish in fact.

To me it's the usual exercise in trying to deflect blame from the sloppy organisation.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby
  • Like 1

Don't blame the riders,they shouldn't have to ride on a ploughed field just to fill the coffers of BSI,PZM .Amazing how temporary tracks have suddenly improved since this farce took place . Coincidence ?

What farce are you referring too?

I watched a decent meeting, with plenty of passing and a couple of falls.. one of them being a rider who was unfit to race anyway!

The meeting was called off because Hancock didn't like the green light start. Simple as that really.

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 1

THERE appears to still be some confusion over "two starting gates." These are not two entirely separate units placed a few feet apart which would be both unsightly and confusing. The actual starting gate does, however, have two independent mechanisms onto which the tapes can be attached. For both mechanisms to fail, which is what happened in Warsaw, is unprecedented. So, in reality, there was a back-up.

In Cardiff and Stockholm they added a third alternative as it were. Of course it shouldn't have happened and was the straw that broke the camel's back as far as the riders were concerned.

Of course, Humphrey in his unrelenting crusade against BSI will endeavour to lay everything at their door but ultimately that just reflects his poor understanding of what actually goes on, who is responsible for what and that, on occasions, things happen no matter what.

• Like 1

THERE appears to still be some confusion over "two starting gates." These are not two entirely separate units placed a few feet apart which would be both unsightly and confusing. The actual starting gate does, however, have two independent mechanisms onto which the tapes can be attached. For both mechanisms to fail, which is what happened in Warsaw, is unprecedented. So, in reality, there was a back-up.

In Cardiff and Stockholm they added a third alternative as it were. Of course it shouldn't have happened and was the straw that broke the camel's back as far as the riders were concerned.

Of course, Humphrey in his unrelenting crusade against BSI will endeavour to lay everything at their door but ultimately that just reflects his poor understanding of what actually goes on, who is responsible for what and that, on occasions, things happen no matter what.

I`m not sure that anyone has ever thought that there is another starting position "a few feet away from the normal position"

Have you been drinking :lol: what people expect is a spare set of two poles which can replace the original set if they do not work properly. Too much to expect ??

Edited by racers and royals
  • Like 2

Indeed, and even if the worst case scenario happened like it did, the way to deal with it is covered in the rules and it should be no big deal, no starting tapes and green light starts come into effect. The failure of the tapes shouldn't have caused an abandonment. The track was in pretty good condition so it simply comes back to the riders. Any enquiry should focus on how to punish thise riders and put in place a level of punishment for the future should a bunch of prima donnas try and sabotage the series ever again in the future

• Like 2