British Speedway Forum
sommelier

Lewis Bridger

What i dont get is that Bridger had one of his best seasons in Speedway for Lakeside and he ends up quitting the sport at the endd of the season because in his words I fell out of love with speedway"".Surely the past season should have spurred him on to go even better this year,but it seems to have the opposite effect!!!.Whats he gonna do now work wise?

What i dont get is that Bridger had one of his best seasons in Speedway for Lakeside and he ends up quitting the sport at the endd of the season because in his words I fell out of love with speedway"".Surely the past season should have spurred him on to go even better this year,but it seems to have the opposite effect!!!.Whats he gonna do now work wise?

Well, most chavs of his age doss all day and claim benefits...?

Edited by Jacques

Well, most chavs of his age do, doss all day and claim benefits...?

I thought the took drugs and raced away from the police on pit bikes?! :o

then blows all his earnings in Ibiza and America decides he wants to ride again and wants finance to set him up to help him earn money for next winters jaunts.Mugs are getting short supply I'm afraid
  • Like 2

no wonder he's annoyed horton wouldn't buy him a bike!

That's the Australian version .. ;)

Still a couple of places left at Poole?

Still a couple of places left at Poole?

Can't see Poole wasting their time on him.

Whilst I take on board many points about Lewis's apparent lack of professionalism, let's not get de-railed and forget the main issue here.

It appears, and Mr. Horton hasn't denied this, that the Coventry Speedway Promotion agreed (possibly via a verbal 'gentleman's agreement') to help Lewis out financially. If that is the case, then it appears that they have rescinded upon that agreement.

So, irrespective of Lewis Bridger selling his equipment; holidays taken from profits; people's perception of him as a person, etc. the Coventry Promotion do not appear to be honouring their prior commitment to him. THAT my friends is THE reason why Lewis Bridger isn't riding now riding for Coventry Speedway. Everything else is completely immaterial. A smoke-screen if you will, for the very real root cause of the problem that's arisen.

It is highly probable that when Lewis was approached, he would have made it clear that he didn't have engines, etc. Not having the money to buy these (irrespective of the reason) I can imagine that he was subsequently offered financial support. IF that offer of support has now been removed, for whatever reason, then how on earth is the guy supposed to take his position within the team?

We aren't talking about the old days when a rider was part-time and had one bike strapped to the back of a Ford Granada, we're talking here about one of the most successful teams in the top-tier of British Speedway. It is obvious that there would have needed to have been considerable investment in equipment - that was race-worthy for the Elite League.

If this support had not been offered, then I'm quite certain Mr Horton would have alluded to that fact in his clubs' defence. Allegations made by Lewis Bridger would surely have been defended if they hadn't been true? Sorry but Mr. Horton's subsequent statement of response says absolutely nothing, yet at the same time (from my perspective anyway), it says EVERYTHING about who's the guilty party in this instance.

And this incident comes on the back of the Kenneth Hansen dispute. As the old saying goes "there's never smoke without fire" - and whilst I fully expect Cov supporters to perhaps say otherwise, it's apparent that the Coventry Promotion (and in that I include Mr Gary Havelock) clearly have a major problem with how they deal effectively with some riders.

To my mind, Lewis Bridger had that financial support pulled for a reason - because it's a simple solution for removing him from the team. And I may be cynical, but I cannot imagine that reason being for any other purpose than replacing him with someone else already lined up - particularly this close to the commencement of the 2015 Season.

Edited by The Voice Of Reason
  • Like 3

Perhaps the 2 bikes that Bomber was getting for him proved to be so good that Bomber kept them?! :P:D:wink:

• Like 1

Whilst I take on board many points about Lewis's apparent lack of professionalism, let's not get de-railed and forget the main issue here.

It appears, and Mr. Horton hasn't denied this, that the Coventry Speedway Promotion agreed (possibly via a verbal 'gentleman's agreement') to help Lewis out financially. If that is the case, then it appears that they have rescinded upon that agreement.

So, irrespective of Lewis Bridger selling his equipment, holidays taken from profits, people's perception of him as a person, etc. the Coventry Promotion do not appear to be honouring their commitment to him. THAT my friends is THE reason why Lewis Bridger isn't riding now riding for Coventry Speedway. Everything else is completely immaterial.

It is highly probable that when Lewis was approached, he would have made it clear that he didn't have engines, etc. Not having the money to buy these (irrespective of the reason) I can imagine that he was subsequently offered financial support. IF that offer of support has now been removed, for whatever reason, then how on earth is the guy supposed to take his position within the team?

We aren't talking about the old days when a rider was part-time and had one bike strapped to the back of a Ford Granada, we're talking here about one of the most successful teams in the top-tier of British Speedway. It is obvious that there would have needed to have been considerable investment in equipment - that was race-worthy for the Elite League.

If this support had not been offered, then I'm quite certain Mr Horton would have alluded to that fact in his clubs' defence. Allegations made by Lewis Bridger would surely have been defended if they hadn't been true? Sorry but Mr. Horton's subsequent statement of response says absolutely nothing, yet at the same time (from my perspective anyway), it says EVERYTHING about who's the guilty party in this instance.

And this incident comes on the back of the Kenneth Hansen dispute. As the old saying goes "there's never smoke without fire" - and whilst I fully expect Cov supporters to perhaps say otherwise, it's apparent that the Coventry Promotion (and in that I include Mr Gary Havelock) clearly have a major problem with how they deal effectively with some riders.

To my mind, Lewis Bridger had that financial support pulled for a reason - because it's a simple solution for removing him from the team. And I may be cynical, but I cannot imagine that reason being for any other purpose than replacing him with someone else already lined up - particularly this close to the commencement of the 2015 Season.

slightly off topic i know but i couldn't let it pass - the crowds then were probably 4 or 5 times what they are now and yet riders are spending MORE on equipment now and also are often expecting to be full time racers with the attendant salaries.

• Like 1

Coventry Speedway haven't denied what? That they won't give him a loan. Nobody, Coventry Speedway or Lewis Bridger have even suggested that a loan was agreed to. What Lewis has said is that he asked for one and was told no. Seems fair to me.

"Quick update on my career status I will not be racing in 2015. I needed a small loan from Coventry to buy me some second hand engines." - nothing in that says Coventry agreed to a loan and then changed their mind.

Edited by SCB

Oh right - so the Coventry Speedway Promotion are that blasé/unprofessional in their approach to building their squad, that they signed a rider without any bikes; nor without the capital to invest in any? A sheer masterstroke.

As for him not being offered assistance, I suggest that you read your local paper:

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/speedway/coventry-bees-looking-another-rider-8708671

And this still doesn't answer the point that if financial assistance WASN'T actually offered, why doesn't Mr. Horton categorically state this within his response?

Maybe you think silence is a form of defence. I certainly don't.

Edited by The Voice Of Reason