British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Countries Where League Racing Has Failed

Countries where league racing has failed: USA, New Zealand (in the original concept), Australia, South Africa, Holland (in the original concept), Italy (?).

Any additions to the list please? And possible reasons for the failures.

Where could it happen next? :lol:

Edited by Guest

Countries where league racing has failed: USA, New Zealand (in the original concept), Australia, South Africa, Holland (in the original concept), Italy (?).

britain

Bruno - I assume you mean Britain as the next country where team racing will fail. The comment reminds me of the old phrase - something like this - "Many a true word is spoken in jest!" :sad:

Edited by Guest

I again pose the question: is there a long-term future for team racing in the UK or should we adopt a format similar to that which takes place in the USA at present (where there have been over the years at least two failed attempts to popularise team racing in a league format).

Ukraine?

So far the 'head count' for countries where league racing has failed is seven countries. To 'be naughty' we could I suppose add in Wales - i.e Cardiff and Newport?

Is an eventual failure likely elsewhere one wonders?

So far the 'head count' for countries where league racing has failed is seven countries. To 'be naughty' we could I suppose add in Wales - i.e Cardiff and Newport?

Is an eventual failure likely elsewhere one wonders?

Didn't Finland have a league once, or have they still got one?

Didn't Finland have a league once, or have they still got one?

I found this comment in regard to Finnish speedway in 2015:

http://www.monsterenergyswc.com/news/article/4107/fast-facts-finnish-speedway

LITTLE LEAGUE: While Poland, Sweden, Britain and Denmark attract riders from all over the world to race in their leagues, Finland’s SM-Liiga is a comparatively small competition, featuring five clubs.

Edited by Guest

I found this comment in regard to Finnish speedway in 2015:

http://www.monsterenergyswc.com/news/article/4107/fast-facts-finnish-speedway

LITTLE LEAGUE: While Poland, Sweden, Britain and Denmark attract riders from all over the world to race in their leagues, Finland’s SM-Liiga is a comparatively small competition, featuring five clubs.

Not sure about this one, but in the 70's speedway was held in what was then Rhodesia. I have some programmes somewhere. Think there was team racing but not sure if there was a league.

Not sure about this one, but in the 70's speedway was held in what was then Rhodesia. I have some programmes somewhere. Think there was team racing but not sure if there was a league.

You are right HertsRacer. There was a league of sorts in Rhodesia and mentioned way down this excellent article. Obviously another add to the list of countries where league racing has failed.

http://www.speedway-sa.com/resources/other_pdfs/75%20Years%2016-20.pdf

You are right HertsRacer. There was a league of sorts in Rhodesia and mentioned way down this excellent article. Obviously another add to the list of countries where league racing has failed.

http://www.speedway-sa.com/resources/other_pdfs/75%20Years%2016-20.pdf

Thanks for that gustix, a wonderful read. It all comes flooding back to me now. They even feature 2 of the programmes I have. Must dig them out.

Edited by HertsRacer

Now added to the list to make it eight countries where league racing has failed are Rhodesia and Ukraine.

Well of minor countries that had riders, I would guess:

Switzerland

Belgium

Romania

Bulgaria

France

Spain

Yugoslavia

Czechoslovakia

Latvia?

Edited by Joe Beevers

Well of minor countries that had riders, I would guess:

Switzerland

Belgium

Romania

Bulgaria

France

Spain

Yugoslavia

Czechoslovakia

Latvia?

The thread is dedicated to those countries where LEAGUE RACING HAS FAILED. You have sent an interesting list of speedway nations Joe Beevers but most of them have NOT staged league racing There was a league in Czechoslovakia when it was a united country but it is now two nations - The Czech Republic and Slovakia. I know there was league racing in the days of the 'united' country.

Edited by Guest

Sorry, I was purely guessing gustrix.

I had presumed League Racing did take place in all of these countries at some point as they had teams represented in the World Pairs and World Cup etc.

Mind you most of them maybe like Ireland where there were few riders but no league.

Hungary would be an interesting guess.