British Speedway Forum
Mariusz Dubi

Fundin, Briggs, Moore, Craven

Does anyone have statistics of direct duels between Peter Craven, Ronnie Moore, Barry Briggs and Ove Fundin? In the 1950s. and 60s, when Golden Helmet was very popular, they 4 WOLRD CHAMPIONS were very dominant und they met each others very often. Such a results would be very interesting...

The only thing I know is that Peter Craven beat Ove Fundin more times in all encounters than Moore or Briggs did, but Fundin won the most. I would be fairly certain that Fundin would be the dominant rider in that selection. Certainly Fundin was by far the most dominant in the Golden Helmet.

Does anyone have statistics of direct duels between Peter Craven, Ronnie Moore, Barry Briggs and Ove Fundin? In the 1950s. and 60s, when Golden Helmet was very popular, they 4 WOLRD CHAMPIONS were very dominant und they met each others very often. Such a results would be very interesting...

You can find all the details of their Golden Helmet clashes, - and with the others of that era, on the British Match Race Championship page of the Speedway Champions website, (along with Silver Helmet, Silver Sash and Bronze Helmet MRC results.)

Edited by britmet
  • Like 1

You can find all the details of their Golden Helmet clashes, - and with the others of that era, on the British Match Race Championship page of the Speedway Champions website, (along with Silver Helmet, Silver Sash and Bronze Helmet MRC results.)

This is an excellent site with a wealth of information.

I think the name of Bjorn Knutsson should be added to that list. Back in the 60's they were known as the "Big 5" and in a class of their own.

• Like 3

I think the name of Bjorn Knutsson should be added to that list. Back in the 60's they were known as the "Big 5" and in a class of their own.

All "Hammers" fans from my era will remember Bjorn Knutsson with great fondness and much respect.

• Like 2

Very True, - they were the 20yd back-markers when league racing was handicapped, - Scratch, 10yds & 20yds.

The format was short-lived when Briggo threatened to retire if it wasn't changed because he was blowing so many motors in an effort to get through.

I can remember Nigel Boocock and Ron How being on 10yds but there must have been many others that I can remember. I presume Ken McKinley and Bob Andrews would have been 10 yarders. Anyone?

All heat leaders, apart from the Big 5, were on 10 yards.

Some second strings starting from scratch proved very difficult to pass. I remember Gerald Jackson at Wimbledon getting some very good scores but there must have been others.

britmet: "You can find all the details of their Golden Helmet clashes, - and with the others of that era, on the British Match Race Championship page of the Speedway Champions Website..."

Thanks for your help, but I still cannot find details of Golden-Helmet race-matches on the www.docstoc.com :(

Don't click on Docstoc, - Click on Full Screen, ( as per "FOOTNOTE: Advice for viewing tables" on the first HOME page.)

Resume Match Races 1955-64:

1.Ove FUNDIN 3:0 RM; 5:3 PC; 2:1 BB

2.Ronnie MOORE 0:3 OF; 2:0 PC; 1:0 BB

3.Peter CRAVEN 3:5 OF; 0:2 RM; 3:0 BB

4.Barry BRIGGS 1:2 OF; 0:1 RM; 0:3 PC

5.Björn KNUTSON rode only against FUNDIN 1:3.

I would have similar results from league and others meetings, but it's very difficult to find it.

I can remember some fantastic Golden Helmet (and no Golden Helmet) races at Belle Vue between Peter Craven and Ove Fundin.

Really close races from 2 riders with completely different riding styles. Complete respect and trust between the two. Amazing. Pity video camera shots in high quality were not commonly available then as they are now.