British Speedway Forum
barncooseboy

New Speedway Engine

The worst place to introduce any new iniatives would be via the national league. Most riders in tier 3 are lucky if they can make the sport pay for itself with the majority losing year on year.

To add more expense would retire many riders out.

Innovation needs to come in at a younger level anyway so the next generation learn to ride the bikes from a young age.

I agree that it would have to be sensibly thought through (not speedway's strongest point, usually!). Jawa should sensibly price the engines, perhaps backed by a sponsor. If the engines were cheaper to service and were not allowed to be altered from the basic design, similar to Tsunami's sealed engine post, overall, it could be cheaper all round for the riders and would be a good test bed for the rest of speedway.

I agree that it would have to be sensibly thought through (not speedway's strongest point, usually!). Jawa should sensibly price the engines, perhaps backed by a sponsor. If the engines were cheaper to service and were not allowed to be altered from the basic design, similar to Tsunami's sealed engine post, overall, it could be cheaper all round for the riders and would be a good test bed for the rest of speedway.

On another side if you cant afford to do a sport why try to ???? I would like to drive F1 but cant afford the car. The cost of speedway is not that expensive compared to others.

• Like 2

On another side if you cant afford to do a sport why try to ???? I would like to drive F1 but cant afford the car. The cost of speedway is not that expensive compared to others.

F1 is the pinnacle, almost all the drivers started with their own Karts and worked their way up.

You are missing the point of the discussion TK2, with respect. Speedway in, at least, this country is struggling and probably dying on it's backside. The main issues are not enough people through the turnstiles and big expenses for the riders and the promoters. If that cost can be reduced, there might be a win for everyone and a salvation of British speedway for the future. (Why you liked his comment Tsunami is beyond me?). Speedway at the bottom end is a cheap motor sport. Speedway at the top end is very expensive, with few fans watching it!

You are missing the point of the discussion TK2, with respect. Speedway in, at least, this country is struggling and probably dying on it's backside. The main issues are not enough people through the turnstiles and big expenses for the riders and the promoters. If that cost can be reduced, there might be a win for everyone and a salvation of British speedway for the future. (Why you liked his comment Tsunami is beyond me?). Speedway at the bottom end is a cheap motor sport. Speedway at the top end is very expensive, with few fans watching it!

My 'like' Ray was for the last comment about speedway being not an expensive sport, relatively speaking. Problem is at the top end is riders have to have every gismo, even though I doubt some things make any difference.

Edited by Tsunami
  • Like 1

My 'like' Ray was for the last comment about speedway being not an expensive sport, relatively speaking. Problem is at the top end is riders have to have every gismo, even though I doubt some things make any difference.

And I agree, speedway at the amateur and bottom end, is a relatively inexpensive motor sport, which is good for those that want to start and have a bit of fun. When you get to the serious end, which is probably now, all 3 leagues, it is expensive. And which you have alluded to. I do think speedway needs to start somewhere to get the costs down, but do realise it isn't going to be easy. Dean is an experienced speedway rider and is a believer that the Jawa 2 valve might be an answer. It would be great if speedway at least looked into this possibility.

• Like 1

The 2valve that jawa are producing is not like the old one from the 70s , it looks similar to the current model , I'm not sure why it's 570cc , it was explained to me , something to do with future environmental issues ? but with cooperation from all countries this could be the way to make speedway about the rider again and not about the tuner which sadly it is becoming

• Like 7

The 2valve that jawa are producing is not like the old one from the 70s , it looks similar to the current model , I'm not sure why it's 570cc , it was explained to me , something to do with future environmental issues ? but with cooperation from all countries this could be the way to make speedway about the rider again and not about the tuner which sadly it is becoming

Excellent post but far too sensible for speedway change has to start at the bottom and work it's way up ,prehaps the like's of Dean and other ex riders could be given the engines and they be used in demo- races to give an idea of the how the they performto the speedway world as very often people need the visual experience to appeciate the product.

Edited by FAST GATER

Excellent post but far too sensible for speedway change has to start at the bottom and work it's way up ,prehaps the like's of Dean and other ex riders could be given the engines and they be used in demo- races to give an idea of the how the they performto the speedway world as very often people need the visual experience to appeciate the product.

it's already been done by riders far better than me in Poland

it's already been done by riders far better than me in Poland

What was the verdict Dean?

I wasn't there so I have only heard second hand account but I believe they rode ok but there was some issues with vibration

I wasn't there so I have only heard second hand account but I believe they rode ok but there was some issues with vibration

From memory 2 valves were always susceptible to vibration even nylocks used to come undone , the 4valve addressed this problem to large degree but I am sure that this could be solved if that's the biggest issue other than presuading speedway in general to change .

• Like 1

From memory 2 valves were always susceptible to vibration even nylocks used to come undone , the 4valve addressed this problem to large degree but I am sure that this could be solved if that's the biggest issue other than presuading speedway in general to change .

Perhaps a head brace would help?

In the mid 70's we sponsored a top NL(PL now ) rider for about 5yrs he doubled up at Halifax and Wolves in that time and we lost one engine,he held multi track records so the engines were being pushed to their accepted limits .Apart from a Piper conversion (2 valve) and a Street conversion (4 valve) any other engine 4valve Jawa and Weslakes were left pretty much standard IMO the fellow twisting the "throttle " is the biggest addition .

Edited by FAST GATER