British Speedway Forum

I think it is worth noting that although 1985 and 2004 show similar numbers of meetings the breakdown between leagues is very different.

In 2004 there were less EL (BL in 1985) fixtures, less PL (NL in 1985), but lots of conference League meetings (compared with just a handful of junior meetings at Barrow in 1985) that with the (principal) exception of Wimbledon had very low crowds.

And I think the quoted figures include double headers as two meetings. There were (approx.) 11 in 1985 but 68 in 2004

(source: Barry Stephenson spreadsheets)

Two of my neighbours still get the speedway star from the local newsagent, but have not been to a meeting since Wimbledon closed in 2005. They know that I still go on a regular basis, but show little interest of ever going again themselves. Reading the star and watching it on sky seems to be enough for a lot of fans these days, and who can blame them!

Loads of older "old" speedway fans are happy just watching it on Sky, don't think this lot will ever come back, we have to appeal to the young ones! Marketing the sport as extreme and some of the riders as err 'pin ups' might help

But then the promoters also need to make the presentation up to date as well! Get input/ideas from youngsters is my suggestion lol

Edited by Trees
  • Like 1

He supports Tottenham and plays Golf!. I take your point re 1996...my phraseology may be at fault.

Golf!

If ever there were a sport with dead time then it's golf...

Take him to the British Open and see how much action he sees compared to how long he is there...

Not that I have a problem with golf might I add!

Only really interested in Exeter that season being there only one in the british league through the 80s, I attended every meeting at home and would like to look back and see who I actually saw that season riding for visiting teams, as I cant locate the programmes

Not to worry though, I can imagine how painstaking it would be to get a whole seasons results

Keep up the good work

I'll put it on my 'to do' list.

• Like 1

2004 is after 1996, although quite a way after!. Did not want to use too many stats and bore the readers.

I agree with you. In my case personal circumstances prevented me from watching speedway, but there must be thousands who stopped going out of choice.My son took me to Cardiff last year. It was his first time at a speedway meeting and he hated it. He could not get his head around 54 second races and only 20 minutes actual racing in a 3 hour event.

Really ?......I think that a lot of the appeal about speedway is the fact that the races are short and quick, and hopefully a few are action packed......at its best that is an incredibly attractive format for Motorsport I think, especially for youngsters.

I think there can be too long a gap between races with nothing happening but it's down to the promoter and the ref to get that balance right...when done right speedway can still produce the goods.

I've been to stock cars a couple of times over here and I really struggled to follow who was winning and the rest of the positions....same with speedcars in Australia....I think this 54 seconds of action is a big plus point for the sport .

Really ?......I think that a lot of the appeal about speedway is the fact that the races are short and quick, and hopefully a few are action packed......at its best that is an incredibly attractive format for Motorsport I think, especially for youngsters.

I think there can be too long a gap between races with nothing happening but it's down to the promoter and the ref to get that balance right...when done right speedway can still produce the goods.

I've been to stock cars a couple of times over here and I really struggled to follow who was winning and the rest of the positions....same with speedcars in Australia....I think this 54 seconds of action is a big plus point for the sport .

I have always loved the tension building up to each heat and the short bursts of fast and furious action. Being an old West Ham fan I prefer 70 seconds to 54 though.