British Speedway Forum
doners1234

What The Visa Issues Could Mean For Teams.

One of the problems in Australia appears to be that with the size of the country that experience through league racing is very limited. The distances from one speedway centre, or even track, to another could be vast, unless they want to ride against the same riders and teams all the time. They have quite a few training tracks and with the space they have the youngsters can ride anywhere and they then seem to go to tracks and have meetings for youngsters, starting at a young age on small bikes, I think they are called pee wees and building up their experience to ride on 125s and 250s etc before riding 500s. This is why when they come to the UK so many come over here at a good standard.

Through our winter there seems to be very few meetings with the top Australian riders, apart from the Australian Championships. Maybe one of our Australian members can explain better than I can about how there system works.

Most speedway takes part as part of mixed meetings, with local promoters running to their own agendas.

There are only a handful of tracks that have regular speedway and they are a long way apart.

Pinjar Park (Perth) is a mere 1700 miles from the next nearest track (Gilman). Mildura is in a small town (pop 30,000) that is more than 200 miles from any settlement of over 5,000.

New South Wales/Queensland have a number of tracks that seem more oriented towards training youngsters (see the Heffernan Motor Series website).

• Like 1

Dilger is an EU rider (German I believe). The point Simmo1958 was trying to make was that some non EU riders (i.e. some Aussies/Yanks) that can't get a visa are better than the EU ones who don't need a visa to ride here. Forgive me if I'm wrong.

That's what I was trying to say but if promotors continue to sign riders who don't cut the mustard then it's there own fat.

Also maybe a promotor could argue the case for a non eu rider of equal experience but greater potential than that of an under performing EU rider