British Speedway Forum
Phil

Poll: Age Of Speedway Fans....

Age of speedway fans.  

205 members have voted

1. 1. Did you attend at least 2 meetings during the 2014 season either home or away for any speedway team and are;

• Female aged 16 to 25
    • Male 16 to 25
    • Female 25 to 40
    • Male 25 to 40
    • Female 40 to 60
    • Male 40 to 60
    • Female over 60
    • Male over 60
    • Attend as a family, parent(s) and at least 1 child under 16

Or you have just discovered that young people play computer games. Older people, generally, don't.

Totally agree. I guess the point I was (poorly) trying to make is that BSF, like BSS, represents a limited fraction of the UK supporters. The results of any analysis via poll is thus flawed if trying to compare it to the reality of live speedway. The demographics of a gaming community tend to lean more towards the younger end of the spectrum, relatively few contribute on BSF and probably few of the eldest generation of supporters bother with any online activity.

Edited by Tkdandy

If I tried to do that I'd be arrested...

:D

It is time that everyone started to bring lads of around 10 year old to try and hopefully get more young fans interested.

I'd rather stick with the dog thanks as she's much less trouble. :lol: The last time I saw loads of 10 year old lads at the speedway was at Peterborough when there was some sort of Cubs invasion. Pain in the neck they were running around everywhere and not the slightest bit interested in watching the racing.

It is time that everyone started to bring lads of around 10 year old to try and hopefully get more young fans interested. Lucily at Leicester we have a great following from the younger members of fans, and it is very good to see.

If I tried to do that I'd be arrested...

I'd rather stick with the dog thanks as she's much less trouble. :lol: The last time I saw loads of 10 year old lads at the speedway was at Peterborough when there was some sort of Cubs invasion. Pain in the neck they were running around everywhere and not the slightest bit interested in watching the racing.

there ye go,,, get ye sel's a dog, ask some children if they wanna see some puppies, then take them to the speedway,,, you would most probably get arrested,,,

• Like 2

there ye go,,, get ye sel's a dog, ask some children if they wanna see some puppies, then take them to the speedway,,, you would most probably get arrested,,,

That's how it happened last time...

• Like 4

With all due respect, 10 year olds aren't the answer. Or at least not the imperative answer. What the sport needs is the people in their mid to late teens and in their 20's. These are the people who either pay full fare or are only a year or two away from paying full fare. These are the people who the sport needs to provide the revenue that will enable it to survive long enough to still be around for your 10 year olds to enjoy in the future.

Why? There is a massive amount of stuff marketed at the up to 30 demographic. Computer games, DVDs, boozing etc. Speedway would have to compete with all those to attract people in that age range. Coupled with the fact that younger peeople tend to have less disposable income.
Over 40s on the other hand have better incomes, more free time and you could argue that less things are "aimed" at them. In fact there are very few activities which specifically target older age groups.
The other main problem with trying to attract younger crowds is that you will arguably alienate older supporters. Youngsters want banging dubstep, flashing lights and twerking, I'm not sure that would go down with speedway regulars.
  • Like 3

With all due respect, 10 year olds aren't the answer. Or at least not the imperative answer. What the sport needs is the people in their mid to late teens and in their 20's. These are the people who either pay full fare or are only a year or two away from paying full fare. These are the people who the sport needs to provide the revenue that will enable it to survive long enough to still be around for your 10 year olds to enjoy in the future.

Poland has managed to get this demographic on board so it can be done.

i'm in 2 minds about the late teens to 20s thing. MattK sums things up well with my issue. But to counter that, most people around that age are making life long decisions, they've grown out of the kids/early teens where you change your mind about things ever day in a whim (or what your mates say is cool) and getting into things in your later teen years tend to be the things you are more into for the rest of your life apparently.

Whatever age the BSPA collectively decide to focus on they should do so though. Not this current, "something for everyone" bullrubbish they have that pleases nobody!

Bloody pain in the bum at Swindon...handed out free Easter eggs/air-horns to loads of kids most were a nuisance.

Bloody pain in the bum at Swindon...handed out free Easter eggs/air-horns to loads of kids most were a nuisance.

if these don't encourage young people to come to speedway,,, I don't know what would :unsure:

• Like 1

True though. Most children at speedway meetings are a pain in the neck and can't sit still for five minutes let alone take any real interest in the racing. I wouldn't want to ruin my night by taking a ten year old along thanks. At least my dog just goes to sleep. :lol:

• Like 4

quote:

"surely your questions1 and 2 are answered by reading this on a Speedway forum :blink:"

unquote

forgive my slight cynicism but someone came on here a few months ago with a survey which they were going to give us the results of - does anyone remember this? That told us nothing and i fear this will tell us nothing we don't already know.

Hi all in response to this question I did a big survey for my dissertation in 2013, I said then anyone was welcome to get intouch and I will send them a copy, whilst it is a few years outdated now it is still very relevant. I wrote a piece back then on the silencers. Which in recent weeks with changes announced seems to have supported my research done a few years back. I still read it now and pick out some mistakes made so it's not a polished piece of work but it got me a great mark. If anyone would be interested in reading it drop me a message with your email and I would be more than happy to share it with you. I did send it to our local mp who is in the group of mp's supporting speedway in the House of Commons but I heard diddly squat back from him... Not surprising really. Anyway I hope I can share my work with you and put it to some sort of use.

Cheers

Why? There is a massive amount of stuff marketed at the up to 30 demographic. Computer games, DVDs, boozing etc. Speedway would have to compete with all those to attract people in that age range. Coupled with the fact that younger peeople tend to have less disposable income.
Over 40s on the other hand have better incomes, more free time and you could argue that less things are "aimed" at them. In fact there are very few activities which specifically target older age groups.
The other main problem with trying to attract younger crowds is that you will arguably alienate older supporters. Youngsters want banging dubstep, flashing lights and twerking, I'm not sure that would go down with speedway regulars.

great points well made

Can't be like the ones at Leicester then as they are well behaved and don't race around and always wait at the end of the meeting to talk to the riders when they give a post match report, to the crowd who stay to listen, to me it is these 10 and 11 year olds that will very soon become the 20 and 30 year olds.

Unless we do more to get the crowds in soon speedway wil soon be a dead cause.

Is it the young un's that are at fault for running about or the people they are with, my grandson sits with me in the stands other than when he wants to go to the loo and sits and enjoys every race. As do most of the other at the Lions, so I say we need them as like me most of us are getting on in years and if we can pass the love of our sport which I have followed for years to someone a far sight younger than me and at an age when I first went to see speedway then lets support them, it is up to those who bring the children and the promoters to let make them assured that they will not be allowed to run and race about during a meeting, a speedway track as with any motor sport venue is one dangerous place, even more so for the younger memebers of the public if they are allowed to run and race around.

Edited by weatherwatcher
  • Like 2

Can't be like the ones at Leicester then as they are well behaved and don't race around and always wait at the end of the meeting to talk to the riders when they give a post match report, to the crowd who stay to listen, to me it is these 10 and 11 year olds that will very soon become the 20 and 30 year olds.

Unless we do more to get the crowds in soon speedway wil soon be a dead cause.

The gist of this post seems to be that someone is taking the time to talk and listen to the youngsters. It's too easy to say to 10 year olds stand there and watch the racing and not really understanding the finer points. I remember taking a friend and her 12 year old who had never been to a meeting before and we took the time to explain the racecard and by heat 3 he was seeing results for his efforts and never looked back.

Why?

I would have thought that the "why" bit was obvious. FINANCIAL SURVIVAL

Mind you look at the poll results, and the reaction to my post. Over 40's reacting badly to the idea of making speedway accessible to the late teens and early 20's. Don't suppose you can really ask turkeys to vote for Christmas can you?

Let's be blunt about the major problem with trying to make this an old people's sport - and that's that the fans that a team needs to turn up regularly are the same ones who are at the ages when they become ill, disabled and die (but not necessarily each to every one). There you go. And then where will the clubs be when their fan base can't attend any more? Just from those whose names are friends (or friends of friends) on Facebook, I know of about a dozen people from the Birmingham regulars who have died in recent months. Sadly, it's what happens in later life. No getting around it. And Birmingham for one, has a particularly old fan base and can't afford to lose any fans.