British Speedway Forum
Phil

Poll: Age Of Speedway Fans....

Age of speedway fans.  

205 members have voted

1. 1. Did you attend at least 2 meetings during the 2014 season either home or away for any speedway team and are;

• Female aged 16 to 25
    • Male 16 to 25
    • Female 25 to 40
    • Male 25 to 40
    • Female 40 to 60
    • Male 40 to 60
    • Female over 60
    • Male over 60
    • Attend as a family, parent(s) and at least 1 child under 16

Poll requested by Skid Sprocket

It is often said that crowds are dwindling at speedway meetings and that it is only the older generation that support the sport. This anonymous poll is an attempt to find out the facts from each forum member who does attend by age, gender etc.

Did you attend at least 2 meetings during the 2014 season either home or away for any speedway team and are;

what will happen to these results? We already know the attendees are aging. Are you going to ban them?

you're asking the wrong question - you need to be asking young people 1) if they know what the sport is 2) do they know where their local track is and 3) why don't they attend or what would it take to attract them

but please bear in mind young people have a shorter attention span than the rest of us and they won't stand around waiting for the next heat for 15 minutes listening to Tony Orlando and Dawn in a half closed off 'stadium'

what will happen to these results? We already know the attendees are aging. Are you going to ban them?

you're asking the wrong question - you need to be asking young people 1) if they know what the sport is 2) do they know where their local track is and 3) why don't they attend or what would it take to attract them

but please bear in mind young people have a shorter attention span than the rest of us and they won't stand around waiting for the next heat for 15 minutes listening to Tony Orlando and Dawn in a half closed off 'stadium'

Surely your questions 1 and 2 are answered by reading this on a Speedway forum :blink:

The results will be useful to anyone who is trying to spread the word about speedway. I try to spread the word to the uninitiated by distributing posters and I find that most people assume that speedway is a male spectator sport and males of a certain age, I hope to dispel these myths or at least get the true facts if we cant dispel them and work from there.

Surely your questions 1 and 2 are answered by reading this on a Speedway forum :blink:

the questions asked by the poll could als be answered by reading a speedway forum

Good luck Mr Sprocket but my point is that we need the product to be right for young people before we try to sell it to them

the questions asked by the poll could als be answered by reading a speedway forum

Good luck Mr Sprocket but my point is that we need the product to be right for young people before we try to sell it to them

How do you answer the questions from reading a forum?

I agree the product needs to be right for young people but that is a separate issue the poll is just fact finding.

• Like 1

Well I'm the first 25-40 female to vote so it seems :D

• Like 1

Are they? I came on here to buy some bananas ;)

I think one look around any speedway terrace gives the answer to the question being asked here (although there's no harm in asking it). Speedway has an aging population.

How do we get more young people through the turnstiles?

All the best

Rob

• Like 1

I find it strange that the message at the top says

Other members will be able to see which options you chose

when we are constantly being bombarded by people telling us we should not give away personal information :nono:

For the record I'm not male and have been attending speedway for 50 years this year.....work it out for yourselves :D

• Like 1

Other members will be able to see which options you chose

I agree Star Lady, maybe we can get Phil to make it a secret survey/vote.

How do you answer the questions from reading a forum?

quote:

"surely your questions1 and 2 are answered by reading this on a Speedway forum :blink:"

unquote

forgive my slight cynicism but someone came on here a few months ago with a survey which they were going to give us the results of - does anyone remember this? That told us nothing and i fear this will tell us nothing we don't already know.

• Like 1

quote:

"surely your questions1 and 2 are answered by reading this on a Speedway forum :blink:"

unquote

forgive my slight cynicism but someone came on here a few months ago with a survey which they were going to give us the results of - does anyone remember this? That told us nothing and i fear this will tell us nothing we don't already know.

Wasn't that for a university project?

when we are constantly being bombarded by people telling us we should not give away personal information :nono:

For the record I'm not male and have been attending speedway for 50 years this year.....work it out for yourselves :D

Phwoar!!!!

To many negative comments on here. I think that, if nothing else, it will be interesting to show the Results. We know, for example, that Speedway Supporters are on the older side - well I think it would be interesting to know which group is the more prolific.

Well done for raising this SS.

Thank you Phil for putting this on for us.

• Like 1

your a 49 year old female ???,,,

As expected most are Males over the age of 40