British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
customhouseregular

Start/finish

The 1983 WTC qualifier saw the meeting start and finish at the tapes with no extension. Rob McCaffrey says in commentary that he believed that the extra bit of track was to conform with the FIM minimum track length but points out that 4 laps around Plough Lane is 1234yds, which equals the FIM minimum length. The referee's box was shifted in line with the tapes. I'm sure there was a FIM stipulation that the start/finish line had to be one and the same.

The 1983 WTC qualifier saw the meeting start and finish at the tapes with no extension. Rob McCaffrey says in commentary that he believed that the extra bit of track was to conform with the FIM minimum track length but points out that 4 laps around Plough Lane is 1234yds, which equals the FIM minimum length. The referee's box was shifted in line with the tapes. I'm sure there was a FIM stipulation that the start/finish line had to be one and the same.

you are correct in what you say about the the start and finish being altered, I was working on the track staff for that meeting. It might have been the last FIM event to be staged at plough lane, although I'm not sure if the world games was FIM in 1985.

you are correct in what you say about the the start and finish being altered, I was working on the track staff for that meeting. It might have been the last FIM event to be staged at plough lane, although I'm not sure if the world games was FIM in 1985.

Give us a wave and I'll watch out for you. The programme, which contained quite possibly the worst attempt at a racecard in the history of the sport, states 'FIM officials in attendance' so it looks like it was sanctioned. Programme here https://app.box.com/s/5s7ggxs7156pfo0ww77n/1/536055648/5165045752/1

My understanding was then when they changed the track it was felt that the run to the first turn would be too short so they moved the start line back.

Just found and trawled thru this topic before I entered my answer as to why. Then came to this post (quoted above,) which cracks it.

Indeed, after the track was shortened to have the speedway bends inside the stox bends, (because of surface damage they created,) but still with common straights, it was felt that the run to the first bend was too short, so to lengthen it without loosing the run to the line on the last lap, the start and the finish were separated.

What happened in later decades, v/v FIM req'ts I can't speak on, as I was only an inactive follower at that period.

Just found and trawled thru this topic before I entered my answer as to why. Then came to this post (quoted above,) which cracks it.

Indeed, after the track was shortened to have the speedway bends inside the stox bends, (because of surface damage they created,) but still with common straights, it was felt that the run to the first bend was too short, so to lengthen it without loosing the run to the line on the last lap, the start and the finish were separated.

What happened in later decades, v/v FIM req'ts I can't speak on, as I was only an inactive follower at that period.

Many thanks.