British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
21st century heathen

Birmingham Vs Cradley (ch) 18th March 2015

Okay so it's a tad early but it's been a long time coming, especially for the speedway-starved Brummies faithful. It's less than a week now until the first NL action of the new season so I expect there will be a lot of eyes on this early challenge meeting. I don't think anyone should read too much in to the season's prospects whatever the result for individual riders nor either club. But there's local pride at stake and it'll be great to see the lads blow away the cobwebs. I won't bother with a score prediction but I'm calling a win for the mighty Heathens as the Brummies new boys may need time to settle before giving us a tough time later in the season.

I saw the Heathens having a spin yesterday but not the Brummies. Did anybody go yesterday evening?

Haven't a clue what to expect on track, but off track, thank gawd that some hype and publicity is being applied... https://www.facebook.com/birminghamspeedway/photos/a.933032060040934.1073741827.344109385599874/963463213664485/?type=1&theater

Who wins and who loses is somewhat irrelevant. What matters will be the survival of the sport in the city which will begin next Thursday, when the money paid in at the gate is taken to the bank. One forecast I will make is that Cradley fans will outnumber Brummies fans and that their noise and boisterousness may rub some of the Brummies old-timers up the wrong way. We may even get comments about the language used :nono: ...however, that's something that will have to be tolerated. What will matter most if that a good evenings entertainment is had by all, and that people get a good enough impression from what they see, to want to go again.

• Like 2

I think the local rivalry should ensure a bumper crowd and that has got to be good for speedway.

I'm sad that Monmore Wood is no more but the Promoters deserve huge credit for ensuring that the Heathens will still be coming to the tapes this year.

I want to wish both Brummies and Heathens promotions a good and financially successful season.

Heathens to win with Ellis Perks the trump card!

From what i saw yesterday, the team who spends less time sliding along on their backsides will win. An early match like this will give no indication of the season to come.

Haven't a clue what to expect on track, but off track, thank gawd that some hype and publicity is being applied... https://www.facebook.com/birminghamspeedway/photos/a.933032060040934.1073741827.344109385599874/963463213664485/?type=1&theater

Who wins and who loses is somewhat irrelevant. What matters will be the survival of the sport in the city which will begin next Thursday, when the money paid in at the gate is taken to the bank. One forecast I will make is that Cradley fans will outnumber Brummies fans and that their noise and boisterousness may rub some of the Brummies old-timers up the wrong way. We may even get comments about the language used :nono: ...however, that's something that will have to be tolerated. What will matter most if that a good evenings entertainment is had by all, and that people get a good enough impression from what they see, to want to go again.

the sport will never survive if you go on Thursdays. :lol:

the sport will never survive if you go on Thursdays. :lol:

I think you need to re-read what I wrote and only half of which you highlighted in red...it's the money (taken on the Wednesday night) that gets taken to the bank on the Thursday...Clearer now?

I think you need to re-read what I wrote and only half of which you highlighted in red...it's the money (taken on the Wednesday night) that gets taken to the bank on the Thursday...Clearer now?

got it ,oops :blush: , it were just the THURSDAY that jumped out at me..best of luck to the brummies on there comeback.Have a great season everyone.

• Like 1

see you there Martin. Any news on Brian btw?

Yeah, see you too. Which Brian? I think I've trippled the numbers of Brian's I know since the advent of speedway returning to Birmingham lol. And before that one goes any further, is it stuff that's better asked in private?

Check out the speedway tavern tonight. Some of your comments may well be featured.

sports-radio.co.uk

Did anyone phone in to ask which way around the track do the bikes go?

newtavern-copy.jpg

• Like 5

I see that one of the Brummies Facebook pages says that there is going to be a special offer "which will have Perry Barr packed to the rafters!!" Worth noting though that this has come from the Facebook page that says it's "official" but the other "official" page (which says it is the real official page) says it isn't....(ho hum). Nothing being said on the Facebook page that isn't official in the slightest or on the Brummies web site. Let's just hope that this isn't some kind of spoof, nor the time for the long suffering fan to endure more confusion and to have to keep their wits about them so as not to get suckered in to this chaos. There are 1108 people who will get to see whatever this offer is, most of whom will probably be unaware of the behind the scenes situation, and that's before they share the news out, so if this is a spoof, and people get suckered, there could be a bad outcome. Never mind eh? All confusion can be cleared up here -

There's a note about this in the Brummies Forum.

Can someone just clear up another bit of confusion please? Is this challenge against Cradley for the Dan McCormack Memorial Cup (or whatever it was being called) or is it for the Travel Tours Plus Challenge, which apparently does not feature a trophy? And if there isn't a trophy, can somene fetch back that traffic cone that was awarded to Birmingham when they beat Stoke in the 2008 M6 Challenge Cup Cone. Need to have something to present to the winners.

they can manufacture two home wins and a tie on aggregate so neither team wins and therefore no trophy to present.

remember Leicester v Sheffield??

I to am not sure if its for the Dan McCormack Memorial Cup or for the Travel Plus Invisible Trophy, hopefully it will be for the former at least then the Cup will be visible and have some meaning.

I to am not sure if its for the Dan McCormack Memorial Cup or for the Travel Plus Invisible Trophy, hopefully it will be for the former at least then the Cup will be visible and have some meaning.

Glad I'm not the only one left confused.