British Speedway Forum
Robinh88

Looks A Poor Pl 2015

And yet most clubs are still losing money, so who's to blame? Greedy riders, over priced equipment, expensive engine tuning?

I genuinely don't know the answer

all of the above, plus others,,,

What rider costs though? If the riders were still earning (inflation adjusted) what they were in 1997 then they would all have to buy cheaper parts - that would mean the expensive suppliers would have to drop their prices or sell nothing and go bust.

Seriously, pay the riders less they'll use cheaper suppliers. Ask Tesco and Aldi!

are there many 'cheaper' suppliers about ???,,, imagine if asda made speedway bikes :-)

Supermarkets do not seek out cheaper suppliers companies like Tesco force the prices down until the company can no longer profitably trade. As an example look what the supermarkets have done to British milk producers

inclined to agree with you about supermarkets driving prices down, they have that power, and the majority of shoppers behind them,,,

speedway hasn't got that :-(,,,

but on the milk thing, maybe they needed a kick up the bottom also,,, if some of the public seen how their 'cheap milk' was produced, they might not mind paying £1.50 for 4 pinta ;-)

Edited by ruffdiamond

Glasgow have reduced their admission this year to £15

and workington have put theres up to £15

still dosnt mean that £15 is the right price as allready said personaly and i know im not alone if pl speedway was £10 im sure they would get lot more in at most tracks i know my son would go most weeks at £10 as it is he cant afford to go every week or even every other week so dosnt go at all anymore

And yet most clubs are still losing money, so who's to blame? Greedy riders, over priced equipment, expensive engine tuning?

I genuinely don't know the answer

something we talk about a lot and disagree with the people i go speedway with

to be competative you need to speend big gone are the days when riders fetle there own bikes

Supermarkets do not seek out cheaper suppliers companies like Tesco force the prices down until the company can no longer profitably trade. As an example look what the supermarkets have done to British milk producers

I was thinking more the other way around. Tesco used to be the goto supermarket for most, but people wages have dropped (or stayed the same) so they have had to make savings meaning they have started going to Aldi. That means Tesco are having to react.

So if speedway riders stopped going to Tesco (the current engine tuners etc) and started going to Aldi (the less engine tuners) then eventually the current engine tuners would have to react.

then Tesco turns into Aldi, and vice-versa,,, look at B&M, its gunna be the new M&S,,,

OK as it seems to be my initial post that has started all this supermarket sweep stuff off I just want to make a point.

I have already stated that for my family of 4 to go every week its around £80 a week, a figure I cant justify spending on a sport that seems to give me less and less every year. Redcar have just put the price up to £16, didnt bother to tell anyone until they turned up at the gate for the first meeting, just shows the contempt the management of Redcar show the paying public.

Crowds at Redcar have fallen every season over the last 3-4 years I would say and its not hard to see why. The current owners constantly plead how hard it is for them to manage and ask the public to help with this fund and that fund. With getting very little back its understandable when the fans say enough is enough.

Im a supporter since 1969, I loved the sport from my very first meeting, I felt entertained, I felt appreciated, I wanted to come back every week. Ive lost all those feelings over the last couple of seasons. What do I get now ? 15 heats of speedway, rushed through as quickly as possible and sent home, just not value for money anymore.

Costs are to high but Promotors will rely on the die hard fans to pay their prices to watch whatever is put in front of them just because its speedway. Take away all the No1's from the Elite league and what do you have? Answer the Premier League. Promoters need to stop cutting their own throats, get rid of all the very high earners, offer a rate of pay that they can really afford. Yes you might not see the top riders in the world but at least you will still see speedway.

Sorry if its been a bit long winded, but rant over for now.

• Like 3

I honestly think Speedway should just feature the Premier League with a North/South Division of say 12 teams in each league top 4 from each reaching the play-offs where they then race each other i.e. North 1st vs South 4th etc. etc.

Have one cup competition which combines all the teams - dont bother attracting the grand prix riders

revert back to 6-rider teams, as riders cannot double up, fixed points money across the leagues

entice the "next generation" of riders to try speedway, grass track riders, motocross, road racing riders... most road racers spend thousands per year for no prize money, only few get anywhere, they could be earning x amount per point in the Premier League

then charge £10 per meeting, kids under 15 free and crowds might return to watch more british/local riders

also nothing wrong with creating a few stars to lose to the gp series and/or polish/swedish leagues when they get "too good"