British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bryn

Invicta Pairs At Central Park Mon 13/4

Full details, including names of ex-Crayford riders (10 so far) attending for meeting sponsors Crayford reunion, can be found at: http://www.kentkings.co/

Alas Les Ott, Paul Woods (in Aussie for his son's wedding), Johnny Hooper, Pete Thorogood, Dave Shepherd (lives in South Africa) and George Barclay can't make it whilst efforts continue to contact the likes of: Andy Galvin, Paul Bosley (mobile no. Crayford fans have is incorrect), Keith Pritchard, Mick Pither, Mike Broadbank, Mike Bessent, Kevin Teager, Jack Bibby, Ben Howe (who was Crayford's mascot as a young 'un) etc. Anyone with any contact details for them, please send me a PM.

Edited by Bryn

Following a crash during yesterday's Championship of Sussex meeting at Eastbourne, Danny Ayres has been diagnosed with a broken bone in his hand.

This rules Danny out of the Invicta Pairs meeting tonight at Central Park and his place in the 'Highwaymen' pairing is taken by Nick Laurence - the former Mildenhall ride

Not the best line up, the fact that a 3-2-1-0 scoring system has been used is laughable too. Morley and Sheppard were the best pair because Morley went unbeaten and Sheppard only finished ahead of an opponent twice. That's not how pairs meetings should work.

A Ben Morley 15 point max gave him and partner Adam Sheperd 2 points ( unlucky not to score more had carb problems),, victory, by one point, from James Shanes,who,s only defeat came at the hands of Morley .James scored ,14 points, and his partner Nial Strudwick 2 points were 2nd .. Danno Verge who upped his game today and even led Morley for short while, and Richings who got well out of shape trying to pass Danno ,he scored 9 and gets my award of the most improved performance for the Kings .. but the racing by and large was mostly well spread out, as you would expect with so many rookies in the line up.. and there were several speedway riders from yester,year in attendence which was great to see.. A better crowd than i expected and it is to be hoped the experience was benificial to our bottom 3 riders.

Edited by waco

Not too much competitive speedway at Sittingbourne tonight. Ben was a class above and too good for this field by quite a margin. James Shanes rode well as did Aaron, and Danno put on decent show but apart from the occasional bit of aggression from Brendon Johnson there wasn't much 'fight' on show.

Agree with Waco in that Morley was a class above all the riders tonight.

It was almost like an INDIVIDAL meeting instead of Pairs as most had a stand out rider.

I have to say on the night the PAIR that both scored points and showed potential was Banks/Verge.

Verge really knows how to trap - just needs to see his races out better.

Baseby looked good and as I have said before,Shanes is worth the entrance money alone.

Impressed with Ritchings and I think it is a real shame Johnson has no team place (wish we could fit in Kent team and have Verge at reserve)although I know it will not fit.

Again appreciative crowd and love Shanes real joy at winning races.

Roll on Cradley next Home meeting.

Perfect example of why 4-3-2-0 shuld be used for pairs meetings. ;)

I hope that a team place will become available for Brendan somewhere very soon.

All the best

Rob

Not at all.

The 4-3-2 is flawed as it discriminates against a winner and surely no Speedway race should do that.

If you have - as we did yesterday - a Pairing structure based (broadly) around one 'heat leader' type rider and one three pointer then the 3-2-1 format works best.

The fact that two points separated the top five pairs is absolute confirmation that the format chosen was the correct one.

I understand that the International Best Pairs competition is 3-2-1 and of course the World Pairs always was too..

Edited by Parsloes 1928 nearly
  • Like 1

I hope that a team place will become available for Brendan somewhere very soon.

All the best

Rob

When averages come out i have no doubt he will find a team

Not at all.

The 4-3-2 is flawed as it discriminates against a winner and surely no Speedway race should do that.

If you have - as we did yesterday - a Pairing structure based (broadly) around one 'heat leader' type rider and one three pointer then the 3-2-1 format works best.

The fact that two points separated the top five pairs is absolute confirmation that the format chosen was the correct one.

I understand that the International Best Pairs competition is 3-2-1 and of course the World Pairs always was too..

Have to disagree on this one Derek, purely because pairs meetings should be about the best, or most consistent pair being victorious in my opinion.

It puts an emphasis on team riding too and that's never a bad thing I say!

I see no issue with using the 3-2-1 scoring, provided you also use bonus points - in fact, that, IMO, is preferable to the 4-3-2-0 format.