British Speedway Forum
Shale Searcher

Is Daniel King To Good To Be In This League?

Can't see why some people are so obsessed with people riding abroad.....any rider does what is best for themselves and to maximise their earning potential...a rider like Danny King is never going to be a world champion, he's never going to be a Grand Prix rider and he'll know that himself so why not ride in both leagues over here and earn good money without the expense of hopping around Europe and setting himself up over there when the deal he'd get wouldn't be the best either....it makes sense to me and it's good for the Premier League to have class English riders in it and good for fans to have that type of rider visiting their track as well.

For a potential Grand Prix rider or potential world champ then it's a different story..they should be looking abroad ...but not everybody

Possibly not but it might help his chances of doing well on the World stage with GB.

If Smolinski can make it into the GP's then there is no reason why Danny couldn't have.

It could be that they don't want to ride abroad and be away from their families - King and Barker both have young children, so maybe they don't want to be sitting in airports and on planes for half their time so prefer to just ride in the UK, knowing that realistically they won't be world beaters so they possibly earn more that way than they would from riding abroad anyway

• Like 1

It wasn't a fishing trip, just wanted other people's opinions on the subject..

I personally don't agree with doubling down, if that is its correct phrase... Doubling up, an up and coming youngster, to good for fast track, dipping his toe into the Elite League I think is good for British Speedway. But not so good the other way round, and the new rule capping it to two seasons is the right way to go especially the double-downers.

Possibly not but it might help his chances of doing well on the World stage with GB.

If Smolinski can make it into the GP's then there is no reason why Danny couldn't have.

Are you serious i like King as a rider and a person,and he is a very good rider indeed but he was never ever going to qualify for a GP series.Smolinski ok is a bit hit and miss sometimes ,but he qualified through that tough qualifier.But he has great aquipment a good team around him and you don't win a GP by not being a good rider alot of good riders have never ever won one. Edited by sidney

also the risk of not getting paid while riding abroad

think it was simon stead who lost money as he never got paid some years ago

yes they pay good points money in some foriegn leagues but its no good if they dont actually pay whats is owed to riders

It's not just abroad. Some riders don't get paid over here

It wasn't a fishing trip, just wanted other people's opinions on the subject..

I personally don't agree with doubling down, if that is its correct phrase... Doubling up, an up and coming youngster, to good for fast track, dipping his toe into the Elite League I think is good for British Speedway. But not so good the other way round, and the new rule capping it to two seasons is the right way to go especially the double-downers.

I disagree. If the likes of Cook, King & Stead are made to choose between PL & EL and they chose the latter, the PL will be left weaker.

At least with Danny he tried ridnig abroad,

and still is i think Munkebo in Denmark and Pila Poland :)

Are you serious i like King as a rider and a person,and he is a very good rider indeed but he was never ever going to qualify for a GP series.Smolinski ok is a bit hit and miss sometimes ,but he qualified through that tough qualifier.But he has great aquipment a good team around him and you don't win a GP by not being a good rider alot of good riders have never ever won one.

Smoli the guy who has NEVER gone a season without riding in reserve in the EL? Until 2 years ago he'd not even managed to average 6. Danny King has been a 6-7 point man for about 5 or 6 years now. If Smoli can come form nowhere Danny King can.

In fact what Smoli proves is most riders can come from nowhere and do it. If I'd told you 2 years ago Smoli would win a GP in 12 months time you'd have laughed a lot more than you have just done at blazeaways comments

Are you serious i like King as a rider and a person,and he is a very good rider indeed but he was never ever going to qualify for a GP series.Smolinski ok is a bit hit and miss sometimes ,but he qualified through that tough qualifier.But he has great aquipment a good team around him and you don't win a GP by not being a good rider alot of good riders have never ever won one.

i don't think King will qualify for a gp series either but your argument is flawed. He wasn't a million miles away on the gp challenge final at Poole and as pointed out to you King was a better rider than Smolinski was at the time he qualified so there is no reason to dismiss him out of hand
  • Like 1

i don't think King will qualify for a gp series either but your argument is flawed. He wasn't a million miles away on the gp challenge final at Poole and as pointed out to you King was a better rider than Smolinski was at the time he qualified so there is no reason to dismiss him out of hand

Danny was, and is a better rider than Smolinski, never trust a square head, he was a cheater and when the rule breaking was stopped went backwards very quickly!!! Just how good was he on the TV Saturday? A point in case!

Danny was, and is a better rider than Smolinski, never trust a square head, he was a cheater and when the rule breaking was stopped went backwards very quickly!!! Just how good was he on the TV Saturday? A point in case!

How was Smolinski a cheat?

Have I missed something?

How was Smolinski a cheat?

Have I missed something?

his little magic switch allowing him to alter the ignition timings mid race is what I think Roland is alluding to.

I dont think the switch itself was ruled illegal - just not allowed to use it DURING a race.

Edited by dontforgetthefueltapsbruv
  • Like 1

Smoli the guy who has NEVER gone a season without riding in reserve in the EL? Until 2 years ago he'd not even managed to average 6. Danny King has been a 6-7 point man for about 5 or 6 years now. If Smoli can come form nowhere Danny King can.

In fact what Smoli proves is most riders can come from nowhere and do it. If I'd told you 2 years ago Smoli would win a GP in 12 months time you'd have laughed a lot more than you have just done at blazeaways comments

He is a great example to others,never give up and as you said riders can come from knowhere and reach the series.

He is a great example to others,never give up and as you said riders can come from knowhere and reach the series.

Apart from Danny King? :D

• Like 1