British Speedway Forum
hackneyrocket

Rye House V Sheffield 18th April

Good luck Simon, one of the most pleasing on the eye opponents to watch (and I look forward to that again in the future)

• Like 4

Horrible horrible horrible :( Best Wishes to him and David and also Steve Boxall too... was not a good feeling leaving the stadium last night!

• Like 1

All the best to Steady and the other injured riders - such a shame when this happens . His scores had been nothing short of sensational this year.

• Like 2

As B4E says. Most of us were in shock. The result was irrelevant.

B4e and I were at Scunny when Ricky Ashworth had his career ending accident and I feared Simon had sustained a more horrific injury than he did, especially after we were quickly ushered out of the stadium.

It's a terrible blow for Simon and Sheffield speedway. He's basically irreplaceable.

Edited by Shads
  • Like 3

Crap news.. :sad: Wishing Simon,David,Steve and any other injured riders a speedy recovery.Speedway is the best but It's a bloody cruel sport sometimes..

• Like 2

Such a shame about Simon Stead, Great on the eye and by a long way the best rider on show. Like everyone else i wish him well and hope to see him at Rye in the not too distant future.

I know nothing about track prep but there clearly was a problem on all the bends. More of a concern for me is that Rye House have gone from having the safest fence in British Speedway when the catch fencing was in place to a downright dangerous air fence. It is completely unsupported and held in place by a series of what look like canvas belts. Don't care what anyone says the Rye House track has been made less safe by the introduction of the air fence,

• Like 3

Brilliant result but would rather have lost and still had steady fit.Hope David and Steve are not too badly injured.Finding replacements is not going to be easy.Good luck to all the injured riders.

• Like 2

Such a shame about Simon Stead, Great on the eye and by a long way the best rider on show. Like everyone else i wish him well and hope to see him at Rye in the not too distant future.

I know nothing about track prep but there clearly was a problem on all the bends. More of a concern for me is that Rye House have gone from having the safest fence in British Speedway when the catch fencing was in place to a downright dangerous air fence. It is completely unsupported and held in place by a series of what look like canvas belts. Don't care what anyone says the Rye House track has been made less safe by the introduction of the air fence, [/quote

I wasn't there so I Wouldn't know.. So did he hit the air fence or the old catch fence down the straights or did he get hit by another rider??

I wasn't there so I Wouldn't know.. So did he hit the air fence or the old catch fence down the straights or did he get hit by another rider??

Looked like he found too much grip coming out of bend 4 and clipped the catch fence in front of the main stand which made him somersault over his handlebars. Bellego couldn't avoid and rode into him

Edited by Shads

Looked like he found too much grip coming out of bend 4 and clipped the catch fence in front of the main stand which made him somersault over his handlebars. Bellego couldn't avoid and rode into him

but wasn't bellego in last place with mellgren 2nd and edward 3rd managing to avoid him? a report i read suggests sheffield were on a 5 1 at the time not that it makes any difference.steady a top guy and a top rider i hope all goes well in his recovery.

but wasn't bellego in last place with mellgren 2nd and edward 3rd managing to avoid him? a report i read suggests sheffield were on a 5 1 at the time not that it makes any difference.steady a top guy and a top rider i hope all goes well in his recovery.

Yes, David was at the back and I think his view was obscured by the riders in front of him.