British Speedway Forum
robert72

Should Tai Woffinden Ride For Team Gb ?

How do I lose credibility when I know 2 top riders (1 now retired) well and know what they got in a deal and it was pretty amazing.

I know a couple of riders in the uk and there deals, I also know of one young16 year old kid who wanted 2k cash to sign on plus a van and points money way above his standard.

So tai has won just one more title than holder who leads the world championship

As you know I don't do names and what they earn on here as its wrong.

Tai is a disgrace to British speedway because Its about money over doing the right thing for the British fans.

If you truly believe that then you are even more of a buerk then i thought.

In your strange little bubble you think:

Tai should ride here because he is British

He shouldnt have the right because he is British to earn more money elsewhere.

He basically should ride over here and earn less

You talk absolute sh1te

I have a cousin who 5 years ago went to work in Hong Kong because he was offered a lot of money to do that, money which means by the time he is 50 he will have retired and living and doing what he wants.

The shelf life of a top speedway rider earning good money is relatively short maybe 10 years or so. After he retires why shouldnt Tai or for that matter any other rider have enough money to live comfortably

If you truly believe that then you are even more of a buerk then i thought.

In your strange little bubble you think:

Tai should ride here because he is British

He shouldnt have the right because he is British to earn more money elsewhere.

He basically should ride over here and earn less

You talk absolute sh1te

I have a cousin who 5 years ago went to work in Hong Kong because he was offered a lot of money to do that, money which means by the time he is 50 he will have retired and living and doing what he wants.

The shelf life of a top speedway rider earning good money is relatively short maybe 10 years or so. After he retires why shouldnt Tai or for that matter any other rider have enough money to live comfortably

Riding in the British Final should Not be about money but the honor of what it means to be in it as a Brit and to race in front of the British fans.

If a rider doesn't want to be a part of the British final then he Shouldn't be part of the British team.

Edited by robert72

Riding in the British Final should Not be about money but the honor of what it means to be in it as a Brit and to race in front of the British fans.

If a rider doesn't want to be a part of the British final then he should be part of the British team.

then surely it should be made evident that the GB team will be made from people taking part in it.. BUT IT ISNT so he doesnt have to ride in it..

surely being a British World Champion comes before a British Champion.

If a rider doesn't want to be a part of the British final then he should be part of the British team.

If a rider doesn't want the honour of riding for the British team, he shouldn't be allowed the individual honour of riding in the British Final... something that is far more logical than your argument, but the same principles.

Yet not a peep from you about Scott Nicholls.

Which essentially reveals to us, it's nothing to do with any of the reasons you keep putting forward, it's solely to do with you don't like Tai.

• Like 1

I would just like to make one thing clear. I am no Tai hater. I wish him luck in the gps and when he rides for TeamGB.

My issue is not the person himself but his refusal to support British Speedway in any way, shape or form.

• Like 3

I would just like to make one thing clear. I am no Tai hater. I wish him luck in the gps and when he rides for TeamGB.

My issue is not the person himself but his refusal to support British Speedway in any way, shape or form.

I don't think he has ditched it at all he is still Captain of the World Cup Team and wears our colours while riding..

I know he would do anything he could.. but it proved it a while back trying to ride in this country as well ruined his World title chances through being tired.. so one had to go and through many avenues the British League was the one to come worse off when we look at rain offs and the like.. he couldn't commit to it..

But this guy wears our flag and is a British Champion and I want him to do multiple championships.. I would love to see him ride over here but I know he cant at the minute but I want to see him world champ again more than british champ.

I wish him luck in the gps and when he rides for TeamGB.

You wouldn't regard his willingness to ride for Team GB as being supportive of British speedway?

You wouldn't regard his willingness to ride for Team GB as being supportive of British speedway?

A very easy decision to make when all other major speedway stops for the duration of the WTC.

• Like 2

No.

I don't think he has ditched it at all he is still Captain of the World Cup Team and wears our colours while riding..

I know he would do anything he could.. but it proved it a while back trying to ride in this country as well ruined his World title chances through being tired.. so one had to go and through many avenues the British League was the one to come worse off when we look at rain offs and the like.. he couldn't commit to it..

But this guy wears our flag and is a British Champion and I want him to do multiple championships.. I would love to see him ride over here but I know he cant at the minute but I want to see him world champ again more than british champ.

When you see a rider sing his heart out for the Australian anthem yet refuse to sing the British anthem then go on to refuse to race in the British speedway before announcing he doesn't want to ride in the British final, do you think he deserves to be captain of a national team ? I don't Edited by robert72

Still confused, should Tai be in Team GB or not?

• Like 1

For once you are spot on

You actually are giving the reason why Tai wont ride over here so im glad you agree with me and Bwitcher rather than the other lot.

Why should a top rider irrelevent of his nationality, be expected to ride in his own country if the money and the tracks are not good enough?

He wont ride here while the structure and finances are they way they are.

Just because he is British people think he must ride here?? Why?? Its totally irrelevent. Greg Hancock wants to be world champion so does Nicki Pedersen and i cant see them riding in the Uk for the money we offer and the different race nights.

Well done Starman for pointing out what the others cant see

It doesn't just end there. Many clubs are not in a financial position to up grade tracks if you like. Equipment costs money, and so does proper red shale.

Track curators, we do have some good curators in this country, but they can only work with whats at there disposal, then you have the problem of replacing them when they call it a day. We do not have people coming through, not just them but in all positions of clubs from track curators to start marshals to bike examiners to enviromental marshals pit marshals clerk of the courses. You need SCB licences to be the above, and in some cases you need to sit exams.

Speedway has lived off these long serving standing people in some cases, we since 1948, but in a lot of cases the end of the line is coming, and these areas need to be seriously looked at.

• Like 1

It doesn't just end there. Many clubs are not in a financial position to up grade tracks if you like. Equipment costs money, and so does proper red shale.

Track curators, we do have some good curators in this country, but they can only work with whats at there disposal, then you have the problem of replacing them when they call it a day. We do not have people coming through, not just them but in all positions of clubs from track curators to start marshals to bike examiners to enviromental marshals pit marshals clerk of the courses. You need SCB licences to be the above, and in some cases you need to sit exams.

Speedway has lived off these long serving standing people in some cases, we since 1948, but in a lot of cases the end of the line is coming, and these areas need to be seriously looked at.

Some very valid points

Its so good to see all of you now realising the truth as to why the top riders dont ride here and all coming round to the proper way of thinking.

If the money was better and the tracks then more of the top boys would ride here. Its not hard to understand.

In one breath you Tai haters all moan that he has turned his back on the Uk then in the vey next breath say that riders wont ride here for the money!!!!

What do you expect a top rider to do???

As you quoted my post I'll reply.

I've thought it for ages just because I don't post it ad nauseum and don't argue constantly with people who don't hold the same views' doesn't mean I've just realised it.

Nowhere have I ever said I hate Tai Woffinden. As you like to deal in facts can you quote some posts where people say they hate Tai Woffinden?

I merely expressed the OPINION that I think he should either respect British Speedway and it's fans by riding in both the British Final and for Team GB or say thanks but no thanks there's not enough money in it and Monster haven't told me to do it. Had he said that I'd have had a bit more respect for him.

I also said he is arrogant, my opinion on that hasn't changed either.

I expect top riders to do what is best for themselves. I also expect fans to be allowed to express their opinions without being harangued, harrassed and constantly told they are wrong.

Just to diversify the thread a bit.

I have no idea how much riders earn for riding in the SWC, I assume it's not mega bucks compared with the costs involved based on the Aussie appeal for donations. That being the case one wonders why Woffinden is intent on riding for Team GB. Of course it could be because the series sponsor also sponsors him and have applied a bit of pressure. Pure conjecture on my part but if money is the be all and end all, as you are trying to imply, the question has to be asked.

Edited for spelling and grammar.

Edited by Star Lady
  • Like 2

A very easy decision to make when all other major speedway stops for the duration of the WTC.

All the easier to take a week off and recharge.

Edited by Fourentee