British Speedway Forum
robert72

Should Tai Woffinden Ride For Team Gb ?

No, when he didnt win his 2nd...... but you knew that. Majority of us dont know what it like to be world champion (in any discipline) so can only imahine what pressures and committments are involved. It was obvious in 2014 he was tired and especially toward the end oof that season he was not at his best. Remember too how many timss he had trouble with dislocated his collar bone, having plates put in and still riding, probably you or I would not be able to cope.

I am not Tais biggest fan but i give credit where credit is due, and I for one agree giving giving uk a miss is a neccessity if he to win a erd world title.

You mean when he won his first World Title?

when he burnt himself out trying to do every league to keep everyone happy..

this game is not a long game and you need to make hay while the sun shines so to speak.. so go where the money is and where is going to be less stress and you gain the most success..

we cannot blame him for that and I don't think we can demand him to ride in this country either.. and put pressure on him and make out like in previous posts that uses the UK flag to gain a wildcard.. that's ridiculous..

Out of interest, could you elaborate on this a touch? Are you suggesting some attempt should be made to stop him earning in Sweden and Poland? Or that he be forced to ride in the Elite League? You are aware of the meaning of recall, to officially order someone to return to a place?

Yes the same as Poland did to Wozniak and stopped him earning in the uk but your ok with that then.

The rider loses uk wages,Leicester lose popular rider,the lions fans lose,everyone in the uk loses but polish speedway.

One rule for poles sod everyone else

There would be several teams who would fit him into there side. I have forgot more than you would ever know about speedway.

It's not easy to assess an answer which so comprehensively fails to address the question. My inference, and feel free to correct it if inaccurate, is that you feel Woffinden should be forced to sign an Elite League contract with a club. You might run into one or two slight legal difficulties there, given the rule of law and the abolition of slavery.

My sympathies with you concerning your recent memory loss; it does, however, shed a light on the quality of your posts.

• Like 4

when he burnt himself out trying to do every league to keep everyone happy..

this game is not a long game and you need to make hay while the sun shines so to speak.. so go where the money is and where is going to be less stress and you gain the most success..

we cannot blame him for that and I don't think we can demand him to ride in this country either.. and put pressure on him and make out like in previous posts that uses the UK flag to gain a wildcard.. that's ridiculous..

I'm not concerned about him not riding in Britain, that's his choice and reflects his priorities. However, the British Final is one meeting and I think he is being disrespectful to the other British riders by the 'give someone else a chance' line and it devalues the event. Again though it reflects his priorities.

We cannot in any way recall Tai as others have said and whilst I have sympathy with the circumstances of Wozniak being told to give up UK, it's happened before and will again. I'm all for getting more Brits into teams but as HA said before, untried foreigners are cheaper than Brits as a loan or transfer fee has to be paid. Perhaps the BSPA should impose a club levy for new riders to the EL from abroad to try and even things up? Just a thought.

• Like 1

If robert72 had a go at riding speedway...good luck to him! I gave it a go and it increased my admiration for those who do it professionally so as to entertain us.

Same here, and had a painful experience, broke 3 ribs and punctured the plueritic lining on my lung!! Did get straight back on my horse though.... I have every respect to anyone who's swung their leg over a speedway machine....

I'm not concerned about him not riding in Britain, that's his choice and reflects his priorities. However, the British Final is one meeting and I think he is being disrespectful to the other British riders by the 'give someone else a chance' line and it devalues the event. Again though it reflects his priorities

I do kind of see your point.. everyone wants to see our champion riding.. and him saying give someone else a chance is kind of saying I will win it.. but he would of had his reasons for not taking part and we have to honour his wishes instead of criticizing him..

The statement "give someone else a chance" is very appropriate because by Tai NOT competing it gives someone else a chance to qualify, after all only 16 can get to the final.

The statement "give someone else a chance" is very appropriate because by Tai NOT competing it gives someone else a chance to qualify, after all only 16 can get to the final.

very true indeed.. so should he compete in it or should he step back and let someone else have the chance to qualify.. I am definitely more the later in this case

He should have been seeded to the British Final and he should be riding in it end of story. However that has nothing to do weather or not he should ride for GB in the SWC. He's our best rider, captain, world champion and top scorer for us in pretty much every SWC he's ridden in. Really it's the biggest non argument of all time!

Edited by RPNYC
  • Like 3

A snippet from the Lakeside v Wolves meeting thread from Weds... With a quote from Tai, taken from Twitter..

I wasn't at the meeting, but caught some of it on the TV. Without prejudice, as the lawyers say, I found this tweet from Tai Woffinden interesting:

"See the boys bouncing down the straight in heat 2 at lake side and people wonder why i don't ride in uk"

So now it's not burn out or travel, or money, it's the tracks are no good.. Lakeside, in this instance..!!

Edited by Shale Searcher

Pretty sure tai went on record earlier in the season saying as well as a single race night some tracks would need improving before he would come back

• Like 1

Pretty sure tai went on record earlier in the season saying as well as a single race night some tracks would need improving before he would come back

That is correct, but didn't let on which tracks and why, so now we can stick Lakeside down as 1 of them...

If Tai can't be arsed to race here I can't be arsed to support him in any competition, why does he want to represent GB in the WTC when he doesn't race here, he's washed his hands of british racing.

I do agree with him that more thought should be put into our tracks, they are where speedway does or dies .... and it's dying a little bit!

• Like 1

As a example Gareth Bale can't be arsed to play in Wales perhaps he shouldn't play for Wales in the euros then ...

No thought not!

tai can ride where and when he wants as far as I concerned. He's a professional and plus his trade where it suits him and tHat includes the British Championships

And I only support Gareth when he plays for Wales

And tai when he rides for Great Britain seems simple to me

Edited by Ken Morgan
  • Like 2