British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mdmc82

Coventry V Lakeside 4th May 2015

Hope he goes well as he was not 100% last thurs.

Neither was our own number 1 Friday

• Like 1

Congratulations to Coventry Bees on another win and 3 points on the table.

Great to see Sarjeant winning his first race back from injury and Harris getting a paid maximum.

It's a shame the weather was bad but credit to both teams for getting it to heat 10

Things do look very worrying for Lakeside at the moment as last night they really did look a one man team. When lining up at the gates, Kim was the only one who looked likely to win a race. Batchelor didn't look interested either. Wright did try hard but it just didn't happen.

What was with Peter Yorke? He kept announcing Boxall in races and saying it was good he was back even though everybody else in the stadium knew he wasn't riding. Then he said he hoped Lawson was okay after he fell (even though it was Ellis as Lawson wasn't even in that race) Surely it's time to get somebody new in to replace or support him who knows what they are doing.

• Like 7

Result was never in doubt although rain probably had some say but well done to the rampant Bees. Alarm bells must be ringing at Lakeside.

A nice comfortable victory. Roll on Friday.

What was with Peter Yorke? He kept announcing Boxall in races and saying it was good he was back even though everybody else in the stadium knew he wasn't riding.

Not everybody! I've only just found out thanks to your post it was Wright! I was thinking blimey Boxall has gone right off... now I'm thinking, blimey Wright has gone right off!

The man's a joke

• Like 1

What was with Peter Yorke? He kept announcing Boxall in races and saying it was good he was back even though everybody else in the stadium knew he wasn't riding. Then he said he hoped Lawson was okay after he fell (even though it was Ellis as Lawson wasn't even in that race) Surely it's time to get somebody new in to replace or support him who knows what they are doing.

THIS. This many times over. He had us all lokoing at each of in a state of confusion many time last night.

Also, how many times will a speedway meting get to the magic heat 10 and be called off? Speedway is 15 heats, not 10 and if you're lucky 5 bonus heats. Yes conditions were tricky, but heat 10 was a pretty good heat suggesting heat 11 was hardly likely to be some terrible, dangerous heat and the rain had got now worse so visibility was not likely to have got any worse.

York is a complete joke. Last year it looked like he was on the way out and many many of us rejoiced at that. The man made no mention during last night's meeting as to how many heats we needed to complete for the result to stand (the main topic of conversation amongst the people I was with), just as in previous meetings he has done nothing to inform the crowd how league points will be divided when it's a close finish.

In short, the presentation is absolutely dire at Brandon. Now we've lost Chris Simpson and his well prepared jingles and rider themes, there's zilch atmosphere created. All we get is that bloody 5-4-3-2-1 Manfred Mann jingle every time there s a 5-1. And whoever the 'DJ' has no sense of mood...he/she even decided to play 'Tonight is going to be a good night' during the Poole fixture when it clearly wasn't!

Awful, awful, awful!

• Like 5

.....mdmc82......What was with Peter Yorke? He kept announcing Boxall in races and saying it was good he was back even though everybody else in the stadium knew he wasn't riding.

I didn't and neither did the couple I was standing with. :o I changed my programme number 7 from James Wright to Steve Boxall at the beginning of the match and presumed that's who it was all the way through, especially with confirmation from Peter York. Oooops! :lol:

• Like 1

Crazy that Chris Simpson hasn't been reinstated to be honest. Cmon Bees management sort this and everything will be 100% spot on!

• Like 3

York is a complete joke. Last year it looked like he was on the way out and many many of us rejoiced at that. The man made no mention during last night's meeting as to how many heats we needed to complete for the result to stand (the main topic of conversation amongst the people I was with), just as in previous meetings he has done nothing to inform the crowd how league points will be divided when it's a close finish.

In short, the presentation is absolutely dire at Brandon. Now we've lost Chris Simpson and his well prepared jingles and rider themes, there's zilch atmosphere created. All we get is that bloody 5-4-3-2-1 Manfred Mann jingle every time there s a 5-1. And whoever the 'DJ' has no sense of mood...he/she even decided to play 'Tonight is going to be a good night' during the Poole fixture when it clearly wasn't!

Awful, awful, awful!

Stop mincing your words Pete :wink:

Awful, awful, awful!

Wait for the, "well, I go to watch Speedway" comments. Well, the goings on last night as you have no doubt factually reported, is what ruins a night for me! It's not just about the Speedway, it much much more. Good presentation can actually make a meeting!

What does it boil down to, childish stubbornness it seems?

Like I said when Chris was sacked (by text). It's ultimately the fans that suffer!

What are the attendances like his season as a matter of interest. Surely they can afford someone else to provide a decent presentation?

What hold does Peter York have over them?

Anyway, another great win under the belt, we've just got to keep it going now and Hans sort those bike issues (y)

• Like 2

Absolutely loved the first thing I saw when I arrived last night to be a man holding a "VOTE UKIP" sign. Absolutely fabulous. 😳.

Awful, awful, awful!

I think you're assuming there is a DJ! Given how terrible/non existent the presentation has been at Brandon this season, I've convinced myself that someone just turns up each week, puts a CD in and probably just gets David Hammond (who I am certainly not getting at here) to hit play and stop as and when he remembers throughout the meeting. You get the same song play in its entirety between heats for about 4 heats at a time! (If you're lucky, the rest of the time it's just silence!)

Such a petty issue that fans really shouldn't have to need to moan about, it should just be taken care of. When Chris Simpson was let go then surely an adequate replacement should at least have been sorted once that was the case?

A silly niggle that takes away slightly from the very good team we have on track this season.

• Like 3

(If you're lucky, the rest of the time it's just silence!)

Silence is golden! When we're lucky.

For me, a trip to the speedway is about the whole package, and maybe it's because I have spent a good chunk of the last twenty years putting on events that I am perhaps more aware of the plusses and shortcomings of the presentation side. And at Brandon, the only bright spot is David Hammond's voice and assured, relaxed style. But he's just the announcer ...

The crowd was very poor last night. And that didn't help the atmosphere either.

• Like 1

One thing I don't get is, as a bank holiday meeting put it on in the afternoon and not in the evening! Much more likely to get the floating fans to attend!

Edited by woz01
  • Like 3