British Speedway Forum

What really gets my 'goat' is when there is perhaps a sun-delay of 15-20 mins a couple of crashes and a fence repair and some clubs still insist on having an interval!

It's annoying when it happens at home meetings (for the home fans), but worse when it happens away from home (therefore for the away fans!) when you might have a 4 or 5 hour drive home and you're leaving at something like 9.30pm to get home maybe 1-2am.

Edited by Steve Park
  • Like 6

What gets me, was when we were at Leicester last month they seemed to take great delight in telling us, "the interval will be after heat 10 today" and "we'll be having the interval after the next heat" and just constantly informing us of the interval. It was almost as if we had gone to the speedway for the interval! Took nearly 2 an a half hours to run that meeting.

What gets me, was when we were at Leicester last month they seemed to take great delight in telling us, "the interval will be after heat 10 today" and "we'll be having the interval after the next heat" and just constantly informing us of the interval. It was almost as if we had gone to the speedway for the interval! Took nearly 2 an a half hours to run that meeting.

To be fair though, at Leicester its the best bit of the nights entertainment

• Like 2

It really gets under my skin when there is a treat of rain and the interval still takes place.

I heard recently that a meeting took place at Leicester and was sped through due to the dubious forecast then there was a big gap before the MDL was sent out. In which time the heavens had opened and the track was awash.........that's how we treat what future the sport does have!

• Like 1

Seriously, though, I have seen my share of drawn out matches. My love of standing there, or even watching at home, for hour upon hour have long since gone. Times change, and no longer do I sit in my living room, watching a live GP for three hours or more, just cos it's live. If I wish to watch, I'll record and then just watch the main feature.

I think TV speedway should do away with the live stuff and just show the highlights in an edited programme. Much better that way.

I've long advocated a highlights package over a weekly live meeting. It would a great chance to cut some of the rubbish and showcase the best action.

One of the good things (and I loved the format altogether) about 13 heats was the separation between the match and second half.

One format I thought used to kill a match was the 1993 18 heat one - when the last three heats were dependent on the riders' scores that nights and usually followed a lengthy interval after heat 15.

I thought it often killed a match that could have been in full swing.

Too many long gaps between races makes me wanna yawn and start having a fascination with what time it is.

Edited by moxey63

Talk about drawn-out meetings. Eurosport have picked up on this speedway virus. They've afforded tonight's Pairs meeting a spot longer than the last general election campaign lasted.

I am surprised Birmingham BMX took that long it's normally very well run when my son has ridden there.

At Braintree last Sunday we did about 130 races in 2.5 hours, which is about right unless there are very big crashes.

Please also remember it was free and run by volunteers (parents like me) plus the riders are unpaid.

At least it wasn't 'dusted off'. Give it another try you may have just picked a bad day.

Today in the Youth Championships they completed 55 races in 3 hours, so with a threat of rain etc any meeting could be completed quickly.

• Like 1

The first 15 heats took 35 minutes. In most cases the 2 minutes was on before the last rider was in the first bend after the flag.