British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Fromafar

Glasgow V Sheffield

Some people are seriously over egging this one. Josh Grajczonek ride aside it was nothing special - the onyl other pass was from the rider the Glasgow fans say doesn't pass, James Sarjeant.

As for PL being better. 7 of the 13 riders on show last right are EL riders. All the passing was done by Josh Grajczonek and James Sarjeant - EL riders. Now I'm not knocking last night but some of the "PL is best" posts are silly. There nothing between the two league. The NL is different, it does have more passing but it's fake passing rider riders making mistakes and falling off, as a purist, it doesn't do it for me so much, where as EL and PL, I could watch either as a neutral.

What was impressive was the stadium, in about 10 years since I was there and it was a little rough around the edges, a bit run down and frankly, naff. Typical speedway really :D But what we saw on tele it look clean, tidy and well maintained. It looked far more impressive than any photos we have seen. And the promotion seem to have been rewarded with a huge crowd - and that is what makes meetings. If the guy next to you is excited, you get excited and then the guy next to you gets excited and then the first guy gets more excited because everyone around him is - before you know it theres a buzz just because of the anticipation of what all these people have come to see. And that come across on tele, every time we saw the crowd they looked like they we having a great time.

It was exactly as we discussed while watching it SCB.

The meeting, although enjoyable, was full of processional racing. The track was one line, get out wide you were not going to be passed. The banking however made it look 'exciting', which is good.

What made it was the simple fact it was a nice tidy stadium with a decent crowd and an atmosphere! Something I have been on and on and on about for 10 years+ is an absolute must for ALL Sky meetings.

It is SO easy to promote this sport via TV and last night was an example of it.

It just proof that speedway is more than just 15 heats. But it doesn't mean you have to change rules, ban foreigners, let work permit riders in, tweak the TR rule, shoot Matt Ford etc. Just trick people into thinking they're having a good time and weirdly, they will have a good time.

It weird, I enjoyed last nights meeting but when I look back, one heat aside the speedway was all a bit meh. Proof if others are having a good time you do to!

The meeting, although enjoyable, was full of processional racing.

I think it is a little harsh to say that the meeting was full of processional racing. Granted, the stats will show that there was not a huge amount of successfully executed passes, but that does not automatically class as being "processional" in my book.

(Edited for grammatical error!)

Edited by TheCookster

We'll I watched Kozza Smith and Birks exchange the lead in heat one a couple of times, heat 4 Sarjeant passes SIssis, Grajczonek goes round Summers bend 2 lap 1 in heat 5, In heat 8 Kozza goes round SIssis on the third and fourth bends, Josh really showed how to race the track in heat 11, Or maybe those passes don't count lol, all in all a good advert for PL , I think some posters just like to put a damper on things or maybe they didn't see those races, Also pleased for Berge who people thought would struggle at 4 v Garrity, didn't he also break the track record : )

• Like 2

I think it is a little harsh to say that the meeting was full of processional racing. Granted, the stats will show that there was not a huge amount of successfully executed passes, but that does not automatically class as being "processional" in my book.

(Edited for grammatical error!)

The English language isn't based on your book.

If there is no passing in a race, it's a procession. That's the meaning of the word, following in order, which was the case in the vast majority of races last night.

Again I repeat, the meeting was enjoyable and I wish it could be like that on every TV meeting.

The primary reasons were not the racing, which once again destroys the myth that the 'racing' is all that matters.

We'll I watched Kozza Smith and Birks exchange the lead in heat one a couple of times, heat 4 Sarjeant passes SIssis, Grajczonek goes round Summers bend 2 lap 1 in heat 5, In heat 8 Kozza goes round SIssis on the third and fourth bends, Josh really showed how to race the track in heat 11, Or maybe those passes don't count lol, all in all a good advert for PL , I think some posters just like to put a damper on things or maybe they didn't see those races, Also pleased for Berge who people thought would struggle at 4 v Garrity, didn't he also break the track record : )

Thanks for proving my point. So there 4 races with passing in. Which makes 11 processional heats. 11 out of 15 is the majority.

NO poster has put a damper on anything, indeed everyone who has posted has said they have enjoyed the meeting.

However, some of us have the intelligence to identify the main reasons why it was more enjoyable than other meetings with similar racing and don't have to resort to the PL is better, or EL is better rubbish.

Edited by BWitcher

I'm most certainly not saying it was bad - and you're right heat 1 wasn't bad but passing coming out of the 2nd bend? Hardly thrilling stuff - for me the pass is as much in the planning and execution as it is just the actual pass (which is why I don't like NL racing). But I have already mentioned heat 11 and heat 4.

I've already said it was enjoyable, I've just laughed at those who think it's somehow better than EL racing.

I notice you didn't pick up on the praise I gave of your promotion for sorting out the stadium and packing a crowd in ;)

Sorry bout that, just commented on the racing,lol . Atmosphere superb with a packed stadium,

Sorry bout that, just commented on the racing,lol . Atmosphere superb with a packed stadium,

And that's the key!!

Massive credit to your promoters.

The English language isn't based on your book.

I am quite aware that the English language isn't based on my book. I was actually in agreement with your point, I simply feel that "processional" creates an image of the riders following one another in an orderly fashion, with no real attempt being made to find a way past ... and that wasn't what I witnessed in the Glasgow meeting last night. Riders did attempt to find an even wider, wide line. Riders did attempt to cut through on the inside line, though the intermittent rainfall clearly made it difficult to find adequate traction there as the meeting progressed.

• Like 1

On the track/level of racing though, I bet on a good day that track can be brilliant - looks really good, the speed riders take into the bend was pretty breath taking - especially Garrity on lap 1 of heat 3 :D

Whilst the national audience brings a different perspective, for us Glasgow fans it was the first night meeting in a long time and the track was better. It was deeper than normal, being cooler than our normal 3pm start it retained the moisture that made it grippier and faster. Floodlights brought an added dimension, would love for us to return to Friday nights.

Tapes issue aside it was all positive, what a difference from our club of just 12 months ago. Now we just need the weather to play ball to get a run of home meetings going.

Whilst the national audience brings a different perspective, for us Glasgow fans it was the first night meeting in a long time and the track was better. It was deeper than normal, being cooler than our normal 3pm start it retained the moisture that made it grippier and faster. Floodlights brought an added dimension, would love for us to return to Friday nights.

Tapes issue aside it was all positive, what a difference from our club of just 12 months ago. Now we just need the weather to play ball to get a run of home meetings going.

Friday night racing in the EL sound good to anyone?

Glad it all went well last night, despite the darkest skies in speedway history !!!

Track looked in great condition but strangely in many races the home riders stayed mid track instead of chasing the dirt which seemed to suit the visitors a bit more in some races.

Even though he didn't score many points ash birks was great to watch.

I know Josh Bates is getting a bit of stick for his reaction but years ago we craved some bust ups on track, riders chargin up to the ref box et all.

good on him for givin his all in every race.

well done all concerned and hope Scottish Speedway sees the benefits this season.

• Like 2