British Speedway Forum
dantodan

Berwick V Newcastle Saturday 16th May Premier League

I've come to the conclusion that there is a certain poster who purports to be a Berwick fan.

Usually a regular on Berwick threads, but nowhere to be seen (except almost every other PL thread) when we get a very good meeting.

Not a peep after a great meeting on Saturday.

Silence is golden!

• Like 3

What is it you want/need from Hynek? Three home meetings, he's had paid six, paid five and paid six, and beaten an opponent in at least 75% of his races. When you sign a guy with a 4.56 average, if you're expecting maximums, it isn't that likely. What you want is a solid-as-a-rock rider at No 2, who gets a score like he's been delivering every meeting.

One thing that will be hurting him financially would be that he's scoring so many third-place bonus points, which Premier League promotions don't pay for. Maybe some sponsorship would ease his burden?

Not strictly true, as Berwick do not pay the bonus point on a 3--3, so on paper Hynek was 4 + 2 he would have only been paid for 4 points.

Who pays Claus for team riding Alex last night?

He was on a 5 --1.., so eill be paid his bonus point, its the 3--3 that causes the problem

On a brighter point I enjoyed the meeting on Sat great improvement in the track, just hope it is maintained, Really nice to see some team riding and some overtaking, see the difference it makes when track is prepared to race on. On a downside, I expected a better performance from Newcastle, poor showing On Sat

Edited by TOURETTES

Really nice to see some team riding and some overtaking, see the difference it makes when track is prepared to race on. On a downside, I expected a better performance from Newcastle, poor showing On Sat

The way Claus team rode behind Alex was a joy to watch, poetry in motion!

With regard to Newcastle I would seriously question both their team building and team management over the past two seasons.

With regard to Newcastle I would seriously question both their team building and team management over the past two seasons.

Like Berwick Newcastle have financial problems, and have built a team structure around their budget. When your expedeture outstrips your income time to worry.

On Vissing, great to see some team riding like having Adrian back, wonder what Claus would have done if they were on a 3--3. with no bonus point being paid.

Edited by TOURETTES
  • Like 1

Good result and performance from the whole team, Some people saying that Newcastle are not that strong and not to read too much into last night, not so for me, you can only beat whats put in front of you and their poor team management / building should not take away from the decisive action that Berwick have now taken to put together a solid 1-7. A lot of teams would have benifitted from Richard Hall at number 7, thankfully we got in first.

Optimistic for the rest of the season and it will take a good team to beat us at home now.

Hall doesn’t even have to be the rider he once was (though if he could approach that form when he was a decent 7.00 man that would be fantastic). If he is a 5.00 man he will make a massive difference to Berwick’s season, he is, as you say, an addition that would have helped a lot of teams.

sh!te bait biged...
  • Like 1

I think Scott the plan was to bring in Robert Lambert as well as Daniel King.

Think he could have very well improved Newcastle's fortunes in say the Number 2 position, leaving Rose/Mills at reserve

And probably the team would have knocked in a few more points as happened with ourselves via Rempala back in 2010

This season, they have said they are running to a budget. They started very slowly in 2009 and finished the season in outstanding form

We also beat them in the TTT back in 2012 only for them to romp to the domestic league the very same season

I wouldn't right off Newcastle just yet. After all your illustrious promoter rated Newcastle very highly pre season

Hall doesn’t even have to be the rider he once was (though if he could approach that form when he was a decent 7.00 man that would be fantastic). If he is a 5.00 man he will make a massive difference to Berwick’s season, he is, as you say, an addition that would have helped a lot of teams.

I expect there were other teams that would have been after him too, very good addition.

Like you say, if he gets anywhere near his top form, then it would be amazing.

He was great to watch on Saturday.

Like Berwick Newcastle have financial problems, and have built a team structure around their budget. When your expedeture outstrips your income time to worry.

That is absolutely fair comment, the only problem with it is that you don't know what your income will be. Putting out a less expensive team might well lead to lower crowds and the whole thing turns into a downward spiral.

If they were really being realistic, teams should probably budget for a 10% reduction in crowds each year, that seems to be what is happening at most places. But then that's that downward spiral again.

• Like 1

That is absolutely fair comment, the only problem with it is that you don't know what your income will be. Putting out a less expensive team might well lead to lower crowds and the whole thing turns into a downward spiral.

If they were really being realistic, teams should probably budget for a 10% reduction in crowds each year, that seems to be what is happening at most places. But then that's that downward spiral again.

Sadly it is, a few years ago they introduced a wage structure and a pay maximum, the team that shouted the most for it's introduction was the first team to break the rule, that was Glasgow. For the sake of speedway at large perhaps it should be looked at again, and at the same time look at at getting the running costs down for the riders. The last couple of years the emphasis has been on getting the promoters costs down, but not the riders.

• Like 2

What a genuinely well constructed post. A very fair point you make

What a genuinely well constructed post. A very fair point you make

It really is a good point Al Stewart makes, but has Berwick put more bums on seats because of it's signings. It was the main statement, Barker will put bums on seats, at the moment we have the worst attendancies in a decade. I sincerely hope that if we get into winning ways the fans will return.

It really is a good point Al Stewart makes, but has Berwick put more bums on seats because of it's signings. It was the main statement, Barker will put bums on seats, at the moment we have the worst attendancies in a decade. I sincerely hope that if we get into winning ways the fans will return.

Yeah, and if Barker doesn't put bums on seats, then you have to question if the fans are really into speedway any more.

Yeah, and if Barker doesn't put bums on seats, then you have to question if the fans are really into speedway any more.

You may be closer to the truth than you think, the sport is in serious decline and not just in the UK, some of the crowds in Denmark, Sweden and Czech are frightening.

• Like 1

Mind the weather is biblical at the moment.

On another note the attendance at saturday's Grand Prix was dire. and Tai's assesment of the track/racing being boring probably summed it up.

Edited by penchev